1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green without the ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Apr 29, 2024.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I've never seen Amen or Cam trapped in the perimeter.

I've seen Fred and Green. Those are the only two backcourt/wing guys I've seen get trapped in any form of consistent basis.

Only three dudes in the team that get consistently doubled or trapped and that's Sengun in the low post(it's the opposite when he's around the perimeter), FVV and Green.

Stephen_A likes this.
  2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Did you learn this through your coach at any level in terms of trapping their “weakest” ball handler? I have never heard this as coach always told us to trap their best player. You want to get the ball out of their best player’s hands. Every time you trap or press you risk breaking your defensive formation and can give up easy buckets. That’s why teams trap sparingly.

Now if there’s a weak ball handler you usually press in the backcourt either one man full or 3/4 press. Trapping may be used but again it’s not every play.

You claim Green gets trapped because he is a “weak handler, poor court vision, low BBIQ, who is a poor passer who takes foolish shots”. But he isn’t getting trapped in the back court bringing the ball up. They are specifically trapping him off the high screen or wing dribble handoff. Because he usually starts his attack at these spots and was successful during this streak and throughout his career. There was one game earlier in the season where he went off scoring at will several buckets in a row at these spots. The opposing coach decided to trap early on the perimeter not letting him get to his spots.

Again I ask you are you saying coaches trap him solely on the thinking that he is an “incompetent” ball handler and not due to dribble drive ability to the paint? Are they trapping other “incompetent” players? Green ranks 45th in turnovers btw. That’s less than Tatum, Brown, Brunson, Ant. And If so did you get this from a report? A book on defensive strategy? An interview you saw somewhere? Where specifically are you getting this info or is this just your opinion and judgement?

Green is one of the best playmakers on the team besides FVV and Sengun. He has been making the right reads throughout most of the season. He dumps it to the short roll when he gets doubled on the PNR. He gives it to the long roll when there’s a crease. He gets the ball to Amen in the short corner for dunks. Gives it up to long corner to Jabari etc when the paint is clogged as he is driving. These are signs of a competent passer and playmaker.

So again if you have some info im not aware of then awesome I am interested in where you got the info or knowledge from. You learn something new everyday.

3. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

No they don’t lol. Please read my response to Bobby

4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

They don’t trap Amen or Cam because They don’t see those players as threats. I may have seen Cam trapped a couple times but it isn’t every play. Teams consistently trapped Jalen on DHO’s and high screens so they can prevent the dribble drive and disrupt the screen and roll game.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

In the games I coach in, they absolutely trap whoever has the ball. Admittedly I don’t coach in the NBA! :) In middle school through college the trap is whoever has the ball. Trapping is less common in the NBA because those guys know how to beat it so well

Stephen_A likes this.
  6. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yes I explained this. Trapping is usually for their best player and you want to force other players to make a play or shot. The Rockets are one of the worst shooting teams so teams trap Green, play zone/switch zone or sag their players to the paint. When the Rockets are hot from 3 they win. When they’re not they usually lose. When they’re ok from 3 they’re in decisive games.

MadMax likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The most trapped guy in the nba is Brunson and second most is Luka. So obviously the fear of beating them isn't what is making them not trap.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I missed that. Just responded to that one post

Stephen_A likes this.
  9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I agree with you. No worries

MadMax likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's very rare for teams to allow such an awful ball handler to dominate the ball so the normal rules don't apply.

However, if you had a scenario where someone like a 6'4 Rudy Gobert kept bringing the ball up the court, you'd trap them every time they crossed half court.

That's an exaggerated version of what happens to Jalen Green.

It's not because he's so good, it's because he's so laughably bad yet arrogant enough to think he should have the ball in his hands.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Right, at that level almost no one is a really good ball handler, that's why you trap so frequently, that's why it works so often.

That's why they do it to Jalen with his middle school handle.

12. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

lmao what even is this post. You're spinning. You said 1-2 years in your other post. Read your own posts again. You can not go from same career progression to up to 2 years delay, these posts are looking more and more ridiculous as the playoffs go by. Better training? Lmao do you hear yourself at all? All of those factors are what would change someone's progression, which makes your original statement make even less sense. If their training is so vastly different, then their progression would be different. No one questioned if Ant deserved a max in year one or year two or year three, after three years of Jalen no one is guaranteeing a max for Jalen.

Sorry dude, this logic makes zero sense. You can not claim two players are on the same career progression when you are also saying one is 2 years behind when they are 6 months apart in age, and also is behind due to poor training, when training is part of career progression and creating good habits that stick. You are contradicting yourself within your own statements. AE has made the playoffs as the best player on his team 3 years in a row now, it is not a hot streak, what Jalen had in March is a hot streak. You guys are going from Ant and Jalen are on the same career progression to, they could have been on the same progression if it weren't for Silas. The goal post will continue to move for you guys.

#172 BallSoHarden, May 5, 2024
    Last edited: May 5, 2024
  13. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

You should read my posts above on this topic. I think it’s always silly to compare players on who is “better” or who is similar in career progression etc. Unless you’re only assessing their skillset and abilities all these discussions are fruitless. But as I said Ant came into a completely different situation than Green and I think this is where Rockets management erred. Many current stars in the league received vet and star guidance in their rookie year including Ant. You think SGA didn’t benefit from CP3’s mentorship and guidance? Vet and star guidance is invaluable. Green did not have that luxury until year 3. One can’t discuss or compare these players without taking this into account.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah yes, as always it's someone else's fault that Jalen Green sucks at basketball

15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I never said it was anyone’s fault did I? I don’t even agree with your premise and judgement.

Why do you complain about him everyday? Everyday it seems or at least every time I log on here which is far less than you do. Maybe you’re blaming him for your own personal problems? Seems like you think about him a lot and Im sure much more than he thinks about you. Really not sure where your hatred of him comes from. Maybe he reminds you of a part of yourself that you hate?

In any case you still didn’t answer most of my questions as usual which supports your lack of knowledge about the game.

#175 Stephen_A, May 5, 2024
    Last edited: May 5, 2024
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Kid, you're the one with the weird emotional attachment to a bad basketball player, not me.

Maybe stop projecting so hard.

17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

when are you going to actually answer questions I asked?

Unlike you I have been objective in all my posts. What emotional attachment do I have? Instead time after time i point out your bias and hate. I point out your lack of knowledge. Till this day you can’t even bring it to say he is a threat on the dribble drive to opposing teams. Instead you keep using judgemental words like bad or not good without any context, knowledge, or facts. And you use obscure normalized metrics to prove your point which shows how dumb you are. But hey keep posting everyday how much you hate him. Losers do this. Inferior minds do this.

18. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

That is part of my point, those variables are all a part of career progression, people seem to be trying to claim Jalen and Ant are on the same progression, but simultaneously making up reasons why Ant is better off with better training. It seems contradictory, and the gap seems significant for two guys who are 6 months apart and in their 3rd and 4th seasons. Its not like you are comparing a rookie to a 2nd year player at this stage we are talking about a player who has played 3 seasons vs one who has played 4, one of those players has had 3 consecutive playoff births as the best player on the team, the other has not made the playoffs. Jalen got all of those things you are mentioning this year, he got veteran leadership, a respected coaching staff, and outside of a hot month of March, seems to have regressed and even blamed the new coaching staff this year for not using him correctly.

tycoonchip likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's certainly a threat to his team most of the time he's on the court... and that's why he had to be benched so often.

I just don't get why you feel like you have to simp so hard for an absolute scrub of a player.

He's objectively a terrible player, I'm not sure why that's so hard for you to accept unless you have a weird emotional attachment to the player.

Make it make sense.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's been this way for 3 years now.

It's Jalen is great and if he's not great it's someone else's fault.... but he's still great.... and it's someone else's fault he sucks.

BallSoHarden likes this.