1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green without the ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Apr 29, 2024.

1. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Maybe he has improved in the eyes of some, but you really have to look hard. You can spend a ton of time providing granular data, and maybe I will then agree with you, and then he will play horribly for an extended period and I will change my mind once again. When People are comparing his progression to Ant, we didn't have to look this hard to know if he was going to be a star or isolate certain periods of time. It shouldn't be that difficult and controversial after year 3. Jalen is not a normal case at all, there are very few players who were drafted this high who were able to pretty much start every game for 3 years and we are still not sure if he is worth $200M guaranteed or $20M guaranteed.

tycoonchip likes this.
  2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I don’t know if that’s true in terms of normality and whether fans are judging him harshly with unrealistic expectations. No offense but why do we keep comparing him to Ant? I think the comparisons are unfair considering their circumstances. I can think of 4 players who not necessarily were all star caliber or maybe borderline stars in their first 3–4 years. (Book, j brown, fox, ingram) there’s likely more but that’s what comes to mind. They got better every year and their teams got better as well. But each players’ development is different and to say they need to be at a certain point in year x is unrealistic and hasty in my opinion. Besides it’s not like he’s putting up less than 10 ppg, not playmaking, and not putting effort into defense. The numbers may not show it but Green is 100% a better all around player this year than last and there’s a great foundation to build on.

#202 Stephen_A, May 6, 2024
    Last edited: May 6, 2024
    BallSoHarden likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's a lot more to it than that, but there's no need to go into it deeper than that to label a volume chucker SG a bad player when you find they are one of the worst shooters in the entire league and one of the least efficient scorers in the league.

If you wanted to you could go deeper and list metric after metric showing the same thing... but that's not really going to help sway a simpleton that goes on subjective eye tests based on flash factor.

You'll just predictably blame ALL of the metrics for your guy being terrible according to them... after all, it has to be someone else's fault.

4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

What’s subjective eye test? And you arbitrarily picking metrics aren’t subjective? A complete evaluation or assessment can’t be based solely on stats or in your case metrics. That’s where observations and qualitative data comes into play. What do you think scouts do? As I said you don’t know what you’re watching so you rely on stats. You don’t know what right is. Unlike you I base observations thru knowledge of the game having played the game and studying it. Unlike you i am humble enough to say i dont know everything. And unlike you I don’t make empty judgemental statements. Which again as I suspect you’re a miserable lonely hater. Just be humble and stop hating dude.

cbass likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, do I need to explain what basic words mean to you too?

Metrics are objective in that they are not influenced by personal feelings or opinions...

Your bullshit eye test is 100% personal feelings and opinions.

You might watch Jalen Green and have your eye test tell you that he's a quality young player.... then you could look at basically every basketball metric and it would tell you the exact opposite.

Oh, you think he's a good scorer? His FG% and TS% prove that's not true for example.

There's a ton of metrics and when it comes to some players, you need to look at a lot of them because perhaps some more advanced metrics disagree with one another.... this isn't one of those cases. They all agree Jalen Green is dogshit.... you just don't know what you are seeing when you watch basketball.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think it was more of a joke comparison.

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

This is a really sad thing to see honestly. I don't hate Jalen but my expectations of him are extremely high. He's the 2nd overall pick and he definitely should be alot more polished than what he is.
    The fact we as a fan base aren't united in thinking this is the kid to build around is absolutely depressing. When Houston got Hakeem it was Hakeems Rockets. When we got Yao it was build around Yao and Steve before then.
    Jalen has been in the league for 3 seasons now. No one should have to question his motivation or actions when he"s off ball. There should be no reason for anyone here to have to defend him. He should be that good!
    The Silas excuse just doesn"t cut it anymore. Sengun, Jabari, Eason all played under Silas. They all look like solid contributors. Where Jalen has off days and some stretches of really good days. That's not what a second pick in a supposedly strong draft class or a player you build around does. They are consistently good with visible signs of growth and improvement especially at his age. Jalen should look more than a solid contributor.
    Every Rocket fan has the right to feel their patience is wearing thin.

theDude likes this.
  8. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I actually like your posts, but do you not think you're holding him to entirely different standards? How is Jabari a solid contributor as a 3rd pick and Jalen not when Jalen's put up WAY better numbers at every step of their careers so far? It's like everybody's trying to convince themselves not to support Jalen and find arbitrary reasons to declare him a bust, when we're literally a few weeks out from him playing like the best player in the league for an entire month.

cmlmel77, Stephen_A and fchowd0311 like this.
  9. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Just chiming in to say thanks to everybody who posted concrete observations or stats on either side of this. I cover politics for my job, and it's been depressing to see how polarized people become. They blind themselves to unpleasant or inconvenient facts presented by the "other side." We're all better off when we're willing to listen. If you listen instead of just trying to dunk on people, you'll learn something you didn't expect.

I don't think Jalen is hopeless. Obviously he has some amazing talents. He's also got some notable deficiencies, and if he wants us (or any franchise) to build around him, he's got to work on those deficiencies. But he's young, and one of the points some of you have made in this thread is that he's doing better at some of these things than he used to. So I'll keep watching to see how he grows from here.

10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

This isn’t true. Again it’s this subjective notion of what “good” or “right” is. And there’s a big assumption that these “Stars” were consistently playing well night in night out. Players like Booker and Jaylen Brown were highly inconsistent in their first 3 years.

Many love the flawed TS% metric but if you want to go by that Brown shot .547 and Booker .561 their 3rd year compared to Green’s .541. If you believe in PER Brown was 13.5 Booker 18.1 and Green 14.7. Like Green they had big games and they were on the cusp. But this is what you expect of young players. Again each player grows and develops differently and it’s unreasonable and unrealistic to sit and judge impatiently demanding results by a finite number of days or years.

Is the player growing? Is the player putting in effort? Is he doing right things on the court? Again a person would have to know what right looks like and its not always in the numbers.

We do know Green was 10th rookie in history to have 5 straight 30 pt games. 7 total career 40 pt games. And 37 total 30 pt games. His and 1 freq% on ISO’s is 4.3 up there with Brunson, Giannis. Scoring freq% on iso’s is 37.8 up there with Maxey, Kuzma and scoring% off DHO’s 45.2 up around Bridges and Maxey level. Just some signs of his capability. Not the whole picture. Are his numbers great? No. But they’re encouraging. Does he have a long way to go? Yes. But players evolve and to sit and think players like Ant just came into the league great is simply false. And green has shown better decision making in the half court in terms of finding players off the dribble drive as well as on ball defense.

Do fans have the right? Sure do as you please but it doesn’t excuse the fact that it’s unrealistic and hasty to demand a player be at a certain level at a certain point in time.

#210 Stephen_A, May 7, 2024
    Last edited: May 7, 2024
  11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

There’s nothing wrong with critiquing his game. There are some deficiencies and there’s some things he does well. What boggles my mind is some people on here can’t even give him credit or bring themselves to recognize or give him due praise. They can’t even comment intelligently on one positive aspect of his game other than “athleticism” or “speed” on fastbreaks which is quite vague in itself. That to me shows bias and hate beyond normal reasoning. This is the problem with some fans on here.

Rocketeer likes this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought dunking on people is the coolest thing in basketball. :D

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Na it is this.... no love for the Boban?

[​IMG]

Easy likes this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Boban is beyond coolest.

daywalker02 likes this.