1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Jalen Green will be the Rockets' Numero Uno

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Jan 2, 2024.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That isn't possible. Jalen has proven he cannot play every game with passion and effort. It just isn't his programming. This is what separates winners and losers in the NBA.

Another thing that separates winners and losers is winners learn from their mistakes and don't repeat them time-after-time-after-time. Losers continue the insanity.

Another thing winners do is improve their skill weaknesses. Jalen's shooting has not improved. Neither have his handles.

Jalen still doesn't demonstrate enough brain cell activity to improve his shot selection. Seems like he's learned nothing. If he doesn't have "a hot hand", he'll continue taking and missing the same bad shots.

I'm sorry if Jalen is your favorite player but I gotta be real, same as I was against his ridiculous haters who piled on him the first half of the season. But the evidence is clear: Jalen is a yo-yo the Rockets can't rely on because he's too erratic. We already know one great game from him doesn't mean anything.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I sadly agree with your assessment. Just saying that we would all be happy IF he could bring that kind of effort every night.

#1402 AroundTheWorld, Mar 3, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    BallSoHarden, cml750 and thedude077 like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

No one is fooled anymore by Jalen. Well, I guess there’s still a handful.

No one is moved by one good game.
    No one is moved by 5 good games. (See just a few weeks ago)
    Not even if it was 10 good games.

(And teams aren’t that dumb either. Please stop with the “Should’ve traded him when he had his 5 good games! He increased his value but now he’s back to sucking and his value is gone!”)

BTW, who should get credit for his good game, Sengun or Udoka? :D

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I will give him his props for the last two games but he needs to keep showing up and doing more in other categories

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Barnes didn't touch Kobe with the ball. Beal tapped Jalen on the head.

BTW, did they call an out of bound turnover? If the ball touches someone and ends up back in your hands while you are standing out of bound, that's a turnover, right?

pippendagimp and gfab-babyboi like this.
  6. vince

vince Member

I think eventually Jalen Green is going to be a perennial all-star. He might need to get kicked in the tires a few too many times to get him to exhort his inner competitive juices.

But I wouldn’t doubt a few team will lose patience with him before he grabs the bull by the horn.

Everything has come so easy for Jalen Green, he just can’t grasp that his natural talent cannot defeat folks that can make up for lack of his athleticism with elite level Basketball IQ.

And I don’t think he’ll be with the Rockets by the time he’s a legitimate all-star. Because Rockets can’t afford to wait on his timetable.

7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

If he has ten games like this, he’ll happily “fool” me.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Seems to me Jalen has been fooling folks for a good while.

But on a sympathetic note, its hard not to get momentarily excited when Jalen plays like last night.
    Its hard not to ask yourself, what if?

But the folks that count are not fooled. That is probably right.
    Other GM's out there know what Jalen is about.

Corrosion and cml750 like this.
  9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Still just overdramatizing poor shot selection. He’s as likely to improve it as any 22 year old.

Progress has been made in every single other aspect of his game: strength, defense, passing, rebounds, overall effort.

It’s laughable to say a 22 year old won’t get more consistent because they haven’t been consistent. That’s the most likely scenario for someone to become more consistent: young and coming in contact with a winning program for the first time.

You are being intensely pessimistic and that’s your right but don’t act like its common sense or something.

Ancient Moabite and gfab-babyboi like this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Wait a second...are you trying to tell me the rockets can't just trade all their players that suck for other teams' good players?

Easy, Ancient Moabite, cml750 and 3 others like this.
  12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Jalen isn't going to become much more than he is on the Rockets. He needs a fresh start somewhere else where he's a nobody that has to earn time on the floor. Rockets still treat him like the #2 pick in the draft and he still has that mentality about himself. Getting traded for pennies might shake him up and flip a switch.

JayGoogle and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

J8rs have been in the kitchen all morning

Keep twisting them PRETZELS boyz

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Nah, I agree that Jalen isn't fooling us but I'm telling yall there's definitely a GM out there that would bite.

The Rockets might not be the smartest organization in the NBA but they sure ain't the dumbest either and teams that are a lot more desperate too.

So these games DO help. If they think his shot selection is the only issue there will be teams that will think "We can fix him." and they just might be right which sucks for us

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

16. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

This is not aging well

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You’re entitled to your opinion, but just letting you know it’s on the extreme pessimistic side of things which rarely happens. It’s quite a bold statement.

18. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Is it that bold? I'm just curious, what do you think he's going to turn into? What do you think is the most likely outcome at this point? The median outcome? I'm trying to think of a player that has looked as bad as Jalen through their first 3 years and gone on to become an all star, or even a solid starter. It would be quite the turnaround if he could get it together. It's hard to come up with good comparisons for me, though, because most players that have performed similar to Jalen on aggregate have not shown the high-end performances that Jalen has.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  19. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

No need to fool ourselves.
    Jalen might have more than a bunch of such games till the end of the regular season, but this is not a happy development.
    Now that we're bottom feeders again, Jalen will not be held accountable for ball-hogging, bad decisions, broken plays, stupid defense...
    He can play his low-IQ streetball without any stress or worry.
    So, "Jalen's this team's numero uno, yay!"
    Nope.

GOATuve likes this.
  20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

It's truly a bizarre season from Green. There are at least 5 games this year where the board unanimously agrees it was "the best game of his career".

I think it's a really good insight on how development is really rarely linear. Let's hope he can finish the season strong, something he has done in the last two years.