1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green will be the Rockets' Numero Uno

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Jan 2, 2024.

1. Nook

Nook Member

The Sengun situation is different than the Green situation.

Sengun has played at a level that will be worth a max contract extension.

Green is not playing at that level - and he knows that he isn't playing at that level.

If Green has a problem with it, he can start playing like a max worthy player or they can deal him.

You are over thinking all of this - there is another half of a season left to be played, and he is under Rockets control for all of next year as well. Green has very little leverage. If he plays like a max player next year, then they can extend him the max and he can take it, or he can leave....

Sonicbun8, slothy420, cbass and 4 others like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

Bingo. Exactly all the options in how this scenario plays out.

Essentially has a season and a half left to prove he's worthy of some kind of extension where he'll be 23 if he reaches RFA next year and if he ends up somewhere else. Plenty of time talk, nonsense. Clock's ticking. It already started in the infamous 3rd year for a player

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What about next month when he's not?

How many more years do we wait until he has to start playing like a starting caliber player?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Nook,

It is not about Sengun, it is about relationships, can you name ONE team where they didn't extend a player, and he came back happy, and stayed with the franchise and developed after he went through RFA?

I am honestly asking because I think most of those players move on, and the closest one I can think of is Ayton who moved on this year and was never happy after the perceived slight of a contract below the max.

Jalen and his agents are going to want a max contract even if he is at 19ppg and below average efficiency, and they might get it on the open market with teams at different stages of development and patience. Which means the Rox would be forced into a Match it or lose him for nothing situation - they aren't going to do that.

THAT is why the Rox will move him, this is 100% a situational play, they will move him to avoid that negative situation.

Don't forget for the next 3 years the Rox also have decisions due on Bari, Tari, Amen and Cam - every year from this offseason on, they will be facing these same questions.

This is what is trending towards, if somehow Jalen bucks 3 years of inconsistency and gets his **** together it could change, but that is unlikely given all his deficiencies as a player.

DD

#124 DaDakota, Jan 4, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
    CXbby, xtruroyaltyx and deb4rockets like this.
  5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

He has been playing like a min player so long, I am not sure playing like a max for a year would be real or sustainable.

Melik, deb4rockets and DaDakota like this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

7. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Why not?

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

For me, its not about an explanation as to why. Its about believability. Its about being convinced.

9. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Didn't you say Brooks was the worst signing ever? You owe him an apology more than anyone

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's old news, I've heaped a ton of praise on Brooks for his defense, his restraint on offense, and his career best shooting numbers.

I didn't believe he'd come in and be a completely different player than he's been at any point in his career, but it's awesome to see.

CXbby, BigggReddd and jim1961 like this.
  11. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

i still prefer Jalen to any of those fake tiktok twin products (thompsons) or KPJ. hold on to your assets and keep them cheap. that is Fertitta specialty.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

Trust in Udoka. He's part of our core. Plenty of time to develop into a top tier player and enter his prime years with us.

#132 PhiSlammaJamma, Jan 4, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
    Mathloom likes this.
  13. kpdark

kpdark Member

if it's right now, I'd like all the Knick's accumulated first round picks plus salary fillers..

but I suppose NYK won't be happy to give all those picks because Green doesn't look his best rn, different story if JG was featured on past games, plays made for him to highlight his strengths and hide his weaknesses, but it's not too late, there's still more games to play and an incoming full season.

Jalen might also take the Maxey[Phila] path... and goes toward a sign and trade.

and if it's when Cam's max extension kicks in, I don't know yet.

[edit]

or maybe when after winning a championship so his value would be at its peak.

#133 kpdark, Jan 5, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Knicks shall be forever mocked ....giving up RJ Barrett and now replacing him with Jalen Green....

How do you get rid of one questionable guy for the next one......

[​IMG]

Corrosion likes this.
  15. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

No you owe Stone an apology

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He owes me an apology for wasting the #2 pick in the draft.

Melik and CXbby like this.
  17. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

I don’t think I’ve seen a single player that they didn’t give extension ended up being. HoF or becoming All Star player either. Close thing I’ve seen is Lauri Markene but he was used as trade package,

18. kpdark

kpdark Member

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You got Slow Mo and Jalen Green is Fast Mo.....

20. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

It's quite obvious Gilbert is gunning for Stephen A's title of just saying the most outlandish things.