1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green will be the Rockets' Numero Uno

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Jan 2, 2024.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Hes been pretty consistent this year and throughout his career.

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

True, pretty consistent at being enigmatic.

cml750 likes this.
  3. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Trade him

cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Uh I came to discuss Jalen’s inconsistent shooting performances and maybe talk about some encouraging things, too.

When did this thread devolve into a sexuality/politics/craziness sideshow?

Well anyway, if Jalen is going to shooting 3/15, the term “Jater” shouldn’t even really exist because we’d literally ALL be critical of him. I do like the pick and roll chemistry he showed with Alpi against the Wolves, though.

BigMaloe likes this.
  5. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I like a lot of others really wanted Jalen to work out since he was the first hope of rebuild after drafting him 2nd the year after the Harden era ended. Unfortunately he is looking like a bust. I'm fine with trading him. A good solid role player would be an upgrade from Jalen. He is getting to the point of being a liability most nights. It's the beginning of the end for him here.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not really care about what the Jalen apologists call people but he just does not have an NBA body....

Dude is built for another league, cannot bang with a lot of NBA players.

If he meets the minimum requirements then we can talk about his other stuff.

Roomba likes this.
  7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Green has shown improvement in quite a lot of areas this year. His haters just hyper focus on his scoring and where he's at development wise in his career due to being the number 2 pick. It's fine though, I won't watch the games for the haters and I had minimal expectations going into this season the moment we chose not to sign Harden and signed FVV instead.

Roomba likes this.
  8. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

He needs to work on two things in my mind: his strength, and his shooting. Shooting I have confidence he can improve. Strength…well I’m not really sure, but maybe as his handle improves he’ll be able to get away with being slighter of frame. I have noticed that he’s noticeably bigger than he was as a rookie, but he’s not all that much better at absorbing contact—yet

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. chenjy9

Supporting Member

He's only a bust if you expect him to be a star

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

His shooting form is not good…I recognize he’s super young, but most guys learn to stop shooting like that around their freshman year of high school.

cml750, AroundTheWorld and Roomba like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is true, teams are going the finesse way so he can get away with tons in other games.

But if a team actively builds with tough minded bigs or what the Knicks, Wolves do....then yeah basically it is Game Over for him.

He then tries to do his weird looking for And 1s......

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

He’s a below average player right now all the way around. I’d call that a bust no matter what the expectation was.

13. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

#2 pick. lol the hell you expect? Him not to be one?

14. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

My expectations of him are super low right now. To the point I wouldn't be surprised if he is playing in China down the line. At times he looks like he doesn't know how to play the game period. It's sad.

cml750 and daywalker02 like this.
  15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Strength is definitely an area where he needs to work on. He also needs to adjust to how in control he is. Right now, Green only moves primarily at one pace; quick acceleration to top speed. This combined with his lack of strength and mediocre handles results in a lot of out of control shots at the rim which really should have been bunnies. A big reason why I wanted Harden here was so he can actually show Green how to change his pace and better utilize his burst acceleration as a strength. Instead we ended up with whatever the **** FVV is supposed to be.

Roomba likes this.
  16. chenjy9

Supporting Member

LOL if you think a 21 year old kid who is already better than many rotational players in the NBA is going to wash out into China soon, you need to watch a LOT more basketball. Green has a long future in this league, it just seems less and less likely it will be that of a star.

Roomba likes this.
  17. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

The problem also seems to be that he’s based a lot of his game around his shot going in. Players like Amen who’ve never really had a shot just don’t shoot very often, and that probably benefits their game until they learn how to shoot.

Jalen shoots like someone who makes them at a good clip, and often times they are good shots that he creates space on—they just miss. So if he ever figures that out, GREAT! But it’s harder than it seems and we don’t really have a lot of positive data on his shooting getting better over the years, besides the good free throw percentage which may or may not translate.

Just to be clear, I am very very against trading Jalen Green now and I very much believe in him, often to the point of delusion. But even I am not delusional enough to think that he’s good enough as-is to satisfy the majority of Rockets fans. I want to see him reach great heights, but how far he goes depends on what Jalen Green wants.

Easy likes this.
  18. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

He had a bad game but I still like he was aggressive towards the rim tonight. Not everyone will have front court like Wolves he’s gonna look lot better but he does need to work on 3pt shooting out side of game night. He seems to regressed a lot beyond the arc

Roomba likes this.
  19. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I honestly don't give a **** what draft position a player is outside of their first season. It's like what college you graduated from, only matters when getting your first job. When you apply for your 2nd, 3rd, or 4th job, guess who gives a **** about your college? No one. All the #2 pick means is that the team gets an earlier pick at who they think could hash out into a superstar. Beyond that, draft picks are largely crap shoots.

20. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Remains to be seen