1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green will be the Rockets' Numero Uno

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Jan 2, 2024.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If not for his off court nonsense, he'd probably be the starting SG right now and we'd be better off for it.... but of course that doesn't matter, he did what he did and the Rockets don't need him since they have Cam that should be able to do most of what he can do.

He was a gamble on a talented young player that didn't pan out... it's time to move on

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Jaters keep acting like everyone gets that hot for THAT LONG when they get an easy month. It was out of the ordinary.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Only Jalen Green exepericesr easy 15 game schedules.

The irony is these people don't understand when they make that claim how much they are actually putting down the rest of the team because that Rockets squad was absolutely dog **** during the month of March when Jalen was resting on the bench... An average of -6 pt differential per game on the 12 minutes per game stretch when Green was on the bench during a 13-2 stretch. Like they 12 minute stretch where Jalen was on the bench per game the Rockets were one of the worst teams in the NBA.

Mathloom likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He had an 8 game shooting streak, it was fun... but you know he's not really a 47% 3 point shooter... it was clearly a fluke.... evidenced by the 9 final games of the season after the fluke streak came to an end.... plus his entire career leading up to the fluke hot shooting streak.

I know you know better than this.

5. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I think what a lot of people don't realize is we were a .500 team missing its best offensive and best defensive players. That's the equivalent of a 20-30 win team. How many young stars are carrying their lottery team to 11 straight wins and competing for one player of the month?

Certainly impressed Udoka.

#5725 Mathloom, Sep 20, 2024 at 12:00 PM
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2024 at 1:05 PM
    fchowd0311 likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Followed by a 5 game losing streak that crushed any hopes at the Play In in dear April.

Talking about the dampener when you needed a strong finish the most.

They only needed to double team and trap Green in the fourth.

'Oh yeah, we just clamped down on Defense on Jalen, and he was toast.'

RudyTBag and Corrosion like this.
  7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Heard from the guest on Locked On Rockets Podcast that Sengun practiced between 300-500 3PT shots per day for a month with a Rockets trainer. I hope Jalen/Jabari/Tari/Amen have done something similar.

That's great news. If Sengun can't be left wide open at the 3PT line, it will make Jalen's life a lot easier getting to the rim. I'm sure it will take another year to solidify that 3PT shot but a little bit of improvement will make a lot of difference. For example 33% on 2 attempts per game would be great. Along with some shooting improvement from Jalen, it's going to make their PnR and DHO take off. Even just Sengun forcing the switch on Jalen's defender and clearing out > I think this can result in an extremely high efficiency play for us.

We need another potent weapon to add to the offense other than FVV/Sengun PnR. Something that can account for 20-50% of the offense. That's the kind of major addition this team needs from internal improvement. An increase in pace will also bring extra transition points from this highly athletic roster - this will also be a weapon for us. Another evolution in Jabari's shooting could make him a serious weapon too.

I'm getting increasingly worried about Brooks' fit on this team. He's a poor rebounder and transition player. Very slow. We want to run. Average shooter. Great defense imo. Tari seems just as good if not better. I would love to have Tari in there helping Jabari grab rebounds or running the break with Jalen. We might have outgrown Brooks already. Hope Tari is healthy and clearly outplays him. Want to see more Point-Forward Amen minutes here too.

More confident than ever Jalen and the Rockets are going to exceed expectations this coming season. So impressed by the reports about their off-season work.

#5727 Mathloom, Sep 20, 2024 at 1:37 PM
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2024 at 1:52 PM
    BigMaloe, RudyTBag, clos4life and 2 others like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

While it would certainly be nice if teams couldn't leave our center wide open at the 3PT line.... that's a luxury, I'm hoping teams will no longer be able to leave our starting SHOOTING guard wide open at the 3PT line.

9. Strawberry Gum

I hope overall box out game of the team improves. Sengun not having to box out as much and get more defensive rebounds would benefit our transition offense greatly. He should be the player who initiates those fast breaks by passing the ball as a great passer and a slower player compared to the athletic freaks we have.

cmoak1982, Corrosion and Mathloom like this.
  10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Brooks/Green/FVV is not a good rebounding trio so I'm not surprised Sengun/Jabari are getting overwhelmed at their current weight/experience.

Another thing Tari can help with. Sengun/Bari/Tari could be an exceptionally good rebounding front court.

cmoak1982 and Strawberry Gum like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think you are forgetting something -

Sengun played the first two games of that 11 game streak.

Game 1 - Portland Strong game by Jalen

Game 2 - Sacramento 6/15 from the floor 13 points.

In game 3 against the Spurs Jalen shot .313 from the floor 5-16 for 12 points.

Game 4 against the Wizards (I still have trouble calling them that) he was fantastic.

Game 5 Vs Cleveland 20 shots to get 22 points from the floor (+4 of 6 from the stripe).

Game 6 - the Bullets again and he was great.

Game 7 - 22 shots to get 24 points (+2 of 4 from the stripe) while his counterpart Ayo Dosunmu lit his ass up on the other end shooting 13 of 18 from the field including 5/6 from 3 for 35 points - Yes the Rockets won, mainly on the strength of their bench scoring 46 and Brooks chipping in 23

Game 8 - Utah, Great game for Jalen.

Game 9 - Portland 26 shots to get 22 points from the floor.

Game 10 - OKC, perhaps one of Jalen's best all around games.

Game 11 - a 1 point win at Utah, Solid game by Jalen except for the FT shooting missing 6 of 14.

The next 5 games are L's and cost the team any chance at the play in.

Game 1 - Mav's 5 of 15 from the floor for 12 points

Game 2 - Minny 22 shots 22 points.

Game 3 - A thumping by GSW 4 of 12 from the floor for 13 points.

Game 4 - Miami 18 shots to get 14 points from the floor. 21 for the game with 7/8 FT.

Game 5 - Dallas again 6 of 15 from the floor for 14 points. 7/7 from the stripe, another 21.

Game 6 - A win against Orlando FVV went off, Jalen was 6-17 for 14 points and 0 for 2 from the stripe

Game 7 - A loss to a clearly tanking Utah squad, Jalen was abysmal 1 of 7 for 3 points and a benching.

If you ask me, that streak is another instance where perception doesn't math reality and was driven by the outcome, not necessarily what happened.

#5731 Corrosion, Sep 20, 2024 at 2:59 PM
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2024 at 3:14 PM
    Bobbythegreat likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's funny how quickly and completely those false narratives fall apart when faced with the truth.... unfortunately no matter how many times their false narratives get absolutely shredded, you can bet they'll be back pushing the same lies as if they were never debunked.

Dishonesty is the biggest problem with the cult of Jalen

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

I think you are doing reductive analysis here. For example you analyze a game saying "20 shots to get 26 pts"

Okay that doesn't define whether he played well or not.

It's very reductive analysis and quite frankly every impressive steal from a player can have this level of reductive analysis.

Minnesota game is an example where if you watch the game, he was the best player on the court from actual play and that included Ant.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why use quotes when you aren't accurately quoting a person?

He never said 20 shots to get 26 points.... but there was a 20 shots to get 22 points....did you just want to make the performances that were called out seem better by lying?

If you think any of those dogshit performances were actually good, make a case without lying.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I agree with most of this.

Brooks is "in the way" .... I think his time here is limited, the team is just too strong / deep at that position with youth that needs minutes.
    I think it's fairly easy for the team to extract assets from someone at between Dec 15 & the trade deadline for him.

I think Amen probably gets the starters spot in that case but Tari will get increased minutes too.

So many prospects .... I hope they make the right decisions going forward and don't have a "Harden to Houston" mishap.

It's good to see the individual players working in the things we've talked about, particularly Sengun on his shooting & Jalen on his balance & shooting. It's fairly obvious they are self aware .... I know I'm often critical of Jalen, but the fact is, the difference between him being a franchise player and being RFA and potentially playing elsewhere is his shooting ..... and we've seen that he can get hot, he just needs to be more consistent. It's really hard for me to give up on his athletic ability when the fix seems so simple - and he's actually working on that specifically.
    From the limited film we've seen of his workouts this offseason, the shot looks improved ....

heypartner and Strawberry Gum like this.
  16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty soon there will be over 300 pages of the same guys arguing back and forth and back and forth about Jalen's performances last year. He's great, he sucks, he's improved big time, he's still not proficient, he takes too many shots, he doesn't take enough shots, he's only 22, he's been playing 3 years, Silas years don't count, he's a mindless inefficient chucker, Jalen haters don't know basketball, you cherry pick stats, no I don't you do, and on and on it goes

BigMaloe, Easy and Sooner423 like this.
  17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You're making a base assumption which is false: that it's normal to beat bad teams 11 times in a row when you're a bad team too.

It's not even normal for a good team to do that. Only one other team won 11 straight last season and it was the eventual champions. Did no one else in the NBA have an easy schedule for 11 games??

Edit: yes Sengun was there the first two games, I hope you're not nitpicking at the fact that Green was the top catalyst for that streak and it's universally recognized

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

As Udoka constantly said when asked about Jalen Green, we started playing much better collectively before the “streak,” long before Alperen went down. The man himself repeated this fact multiple times.

Also, Patrick Ewing theory was certainly in effect, just as it was when Chuck Hayes was our starting C during the 22 game streak. (Does not mean the Rockets were better without Yao, you dorks)

Extremely difficult to scout the Rockets initially when the Alperen scouting reports went out the window and Amen was popped in, and the schedule was about as weak as a schedule can be. Once the scouting report was out and teams started to lock in, April hit.

March was good, because we had very little data before that month that Jalen Green could be an NBA player. Now we have good reason to give him some more time.

Easy and cml750 like this.
  19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

What did you guys think about every other month?

Can we all agree that Jalen Green was well below average as an NBA SG for every single month of the season last year, aside from March?

Bobbythegreat and cml750 like this.
  20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with every single thing posted here.

That SF spot is going to be super fun to watch. We have a stockade of good options already in house, and all the salary and picks to trade for one too.

I would cream If Tari became a good enough shooter to play with the starters.

Mathloom likes this.