1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green will be the Rockets' Numero Uno

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Jan 2, 2024.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He can shoot a basketball.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  2. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

And his assist/turnovers was pretty elite for Toronto.

3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Thats because his entire game is spot up 3s, 3s of a dho and some stepback 3s which is probably the only shot he can create for himself. He cant get to the rim and very often gets stopped before the key. Doesnt have a great handle so he isnt operating the offense that much. Guy shoots 3s at a very respectable rate, and I do like the guy.

But nothing about Quickley makes me think, "WOW, I would rather have this guy over Jalen."

4. NewAge

NewAge Member

That’s called a metaphor, and it is absolutely backed not only by the eye test, but by the data!

Like dead-last in the NBA in box-outs; five box-outs in his first two years, total disgrace!
    Six charges taken for his entire 3year career. Just for comparison, Brandin Podziemski took 39 charges only in his first year!

I’m not sure which Jalen Green you’ve been watching, but the one I’ve watched has mostly played like a vagina…

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How many charges did Booker, Kobe, Ant, AI, Lavine, LaMelo, Wade etc took in their first few years?

This is a stupid way to analyze if a player is "afraid" of contact. More than often role players are going to be heavy in those stats because they are role players and that is how they stay on the court. They aren't asked to dribble the ball much. They aren't asked to attack defenses much. This is what they are asked to do.

Jalen Green for his first three years has one of the highest ftr on drive attempts in the league.

cbass, Rocketeer and Mathloom like this.
  6. fchowd0311

Can I also say the male role models in your life have failed you. They gave you a fake concept of masculinity.

cbass, Mathloom and glimmertwins like this.
  7. NewAge

NewAge Member

OK, thanks. I was just very recently at my dad’s grave, on what would’ve been his 92nd birthday.
    It will have to be next time I go, when I tell him what @fchowd0311 from the Internet thinks about how he failed me…

8. fchowd0311

I suggest apologizing to your dad for giving every reasonable reason for someone to question how insecure you are about your manhood.

Personal responsibility

cbass likes this.
  9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...such an insanely dumb post. Okay tough guy - you know who else is took no charges this year? Anthony Edwards, Bobby Portis, Dylan Brooks, Fred Van Vleet, Evan Mobley, Donovan Mitchell, Jabari Smith Jr, Jarrett Allen, Josh Giddey, Klay Thompson, Porzingis, OG Anounoby, Paulo Banchero, SGA, and many more - that's just a sampling of players. Jalen Green had more boxouts that Anthony Edwards and DeAron Fox, Dame Lillard, Kentavious Cladwell Pope, and Donte Divencenzo and was either tied or within a few boxouts of Dejaunte Murray, SGA, Grayson Allen, Jalen Brunson, Josh Hart, Steph Curry, and NBA champion Derrick White.

...so I guess all those players are vaginas...or maybe you are the only disgrace here for putting so little thought into an insane narrative in your head that is so easily disproven.

10. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

IF…..they do not find a Star to trade for….. he will be our starting guard…..BUT….this is his last year. Jalen Green’s value is high and we need to trade him now.

11. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We need to trade Jalen and Brooks for Booker or PG. Cam and Reed needs playing time!

12. cml750

cml750 Member

The important part for me is how low and how long his valleys are. If his valley's have him shooting below 30% three pointers for extended periods I would have issues with him even if he can get hot and shoot over 40% for a long stretch. I could live with the valleys if he keeps gets no lower than 33-34% on threes and the valleys are weeks rather than months.

All that being said, the only way I would offer him the max is if there were no extended valleys. Occasional bad shooting games are expected but stringing multiple bad shooting games together for months at a time is unacceptable to me.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. bustamove

bustamove Member

from another thread

mightybosstone likes this.
  14. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

He barely played at all on Knicks and had a short season with Raptors. The small sample size would scare me off any contract like this. Sure his advanced stats are better but he played for a better team.

15. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Nope don't think Murray is worth it either and it's hampering the nuggets chances of winning another ship as they keep making cost saving moves to stay under luxury tax instead of buildings true contender.

Yeah dumb owners will do it but we definitely should not. Maybe 4 guys in league worth the max if you don't have those guys let them walk.

Like the lakers are absolutely dumb to give 40 year old Bron a max contract and wasting picks to draft his son. Dunno what they are thinking... This why soo many teams get stuck in mediocrity. Overpaying stars that aren't good enough to win with Ala Bradley Beal...

16. NewAge

NewAge Member

I was just reading The Ringer article, and saw this video, which is the distilled essence of Jalen Green:

This is a great team D on Ingram, you see the massive improvement that Ime, fred, Dillon, Unc brought to this team last year. When Ingram decides to go for it on a drive, jalen makes the right decision to step-in and double. But then just at the last second he inexplicably pulls back and lifts his arms! "Oh, no! My manicure!" Just watch. Pathetic!

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You realize that more than 4 max players have won the title in the past few years alone? I think you’re confusing your dislike of high salaries with actual strategy.

Based on your mindset, you would never give Jalen Brown the super max, but that guy is a champion and a Finals MVP. Jamal Murray is a champion.

Not realistic. Player values are based on salary cap rules and % of cap they take up. Two players can both be making max money but one could be making $15m more than the other per season. You have to widen your strategy because everyone is hustling to win titles and not sitting around dreaming of a top 4 player landing in their lap.

18. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

It's fully dependent on your owner. Most teams should not be giving out maxes. But certain teams will have no issue overpaying Ala the warriors who owe like 200 million in repeater tax.

the rockets definitely are not one of those teams. Tillman has proven time and time again that he won't pay luxury tax. Denver owner too as you can see he's making trades left and right to dump salary.

Sure they won with Murray but his salary is now 51 million. They will never win again with that monstrosity.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don’t disagree we have to be mindful of our cheapskate owner but teams that overpay all star level players win titles all the time. Middleton yet another example. Had Fertitta not been a penny pincher during our title window, we would likely have a title too.

If you’re a big market team perhaps you can hold yourself to these extreme standards since top 5 players could demand a trade to your team, but smaller market teams will have to overpay sometimes or be stuck waiting for years.

I think you should loosen up your standards. A little caution is good, too much caution is prison.

20. kpdark

kpdark Member