1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green will be the Rockets' Numero Uno

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Jan 2, 2024.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Leg Surgery and Thumb Surgery.

Cam Whitmore plays hard, injuries do occur.

Very Young Player getting Leg Surgery in High School and Last Year Thumb Surgery.

2. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Why? Because you think Jalen is cuter?

Amen clearly has floor general qualities that Jalen has never displayed, not to mention superior physical strength on drives and fighting for position.

NewAge and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Agreed If I had to rank them in some basic categories it would go like this:

Defense: Amen
    Handle: Amen
    Driving: Amen
    Shooting/Scoring: Jalen
    Size/Length: Amen
    Strength: Amen
    Athleticism: Wash
    Passing/Playmaking: Amen

The only thing where I think Jalen is clearly better is as a shooter and Jalen is nothing to write home about as a shooter. I think if Amen never develops a shot he will still be the more valuable player overall. If he shoots at just an average level I don't think it will even be close.

Von Rafer and NewAge like this.
  4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Jalen was always suited to be a better robin. Alperen is the batman.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How has Amen shown he's better with handles and driving?

Amen compared to Green is what I'd call a "poor dancer". More jerky jerky movements while Green has more coordinated footwork and has shown more creativity in his handles while also using his handle to do things like split doubles that I just haven't seen Amen do.

And when it comes to getting to the rim and finishing Amen has like no lay up package. Green will at least not consistently do some Kyrie type English on some finishes that show an advanced lay up package.

This is your impression of Amen you thought you'd get. Not the Amen that is being seen playing in the NBA.

#185 fchowd0311, Jan 8, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
  6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Agree to disagree.

7. fchowd0311

Well I think you'd agree if you stopped just watching his ote games and watching the NBA ones.

8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Ok.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Better handles? No(t yet)
    Amen will improve his handles to far surpass where Jalen is now. Hopefully Jalen will too.

Better driving? After only 15 games, Amen is equal to or better than Jalen beating his man without a screen.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

"Amen Thompson is better than Jalen Green"

[​IMG]

11. fchowd0311

I really haven't seen Amen blow by set one on one defenders nearly as much as I've seen Green do it. Green does it even against quick footed guards one on one.

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Jalen has a bad handle. He loses the ball just dribbling like 1-2 times per game and he doesn't dribble well enough to beat defenders and get to the rim consistently. He mostly gets to the rim with straight line speed vs using his handle to get defenders off balance. With his athleticism, if he had a decent handle he'd be able to get to the rim against anyone in the league. He'd be unstoppable getting to the rim.

Amen needs to tighten his handle as far as the ball security part, but he's already shown more advanced ball handling skills than Jalen. He is not worried about defenders crowding him and he effectively uses his handle to get to spots where he can score or get an assist when attacking.

#192 xtruroyaltyx, Jan 8, 2024
  13. fchowd0311

Jalen Green loses the ball just as much as any other guard in he league per game. His turnover rate is relatively low. It seems like those incidents just get seated into your mind due to your biases.

Jalen has shown more advanced ball creativity to so far. Green at a younger age did things like split doubles with a handle. Green also has shown the ability to do things like manipulate the ball at really high speeds with control I haven't seen with Amen. For example here:scrub to 1:39 in this video

Show me a clip of Amen having they control with the ball at that speed at the NBA level and btw Green was the same age as Amen in this clip. Green's footwork is just more fluid and more coordinated especially again at high speeds.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Lol, don’t talk about my precious……….

DD

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agreed on Jalen. Besides the confidence issues that he seems to have overcome, the most disappointing thing to me about him this year are his handles. This better be priority #1 for him this coming summer.

Also agreed his explosive straight line speed when receiving the ball on the move is how he gets to the rim, not his handles. With above-average handles, he could get nearly 10 FTs/game.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Nobody is talking about KPJ or Daishen Nix. Zip it!

peleincubus likes this.
  17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Exactly spot on about the on the move part.

Regarding Amen, Look at the first play in that video. He has a lot of plays like that, but just found a random video...After he gets the switch, watch how he uses his handle first to get the defender off balance and then transitions to using size and athleticism to finish the play. That was Harden-esque how he had the defender all of balance when he exploded past him to the rim.

I'm not saying Jalen NEVER does these things, but Amen does this stuff easily and on a regular basis.

Look at the first play here as well:

The quick behind the back dribble to redirect and then getting downhill to the baseline euro floater of the glass.

He's already shown ELITE handles and dribbling in instances and he's just going to get better.

18. NewAge

NewAge Member

Both Amen and Jalen suck relative to expectations for a #2 and #4 pick. So does Henderson…
    These BS leagues do nothing to develop young talent. Overseas pro-leagues and NCAA players make more impact earlier in the NBA.
    JAMEN is still just a deep project…

19. plegus

plegus Member

@fchowd0311 you might be the most obnoxious non troll poster here. I love Jalen and want the best for our team and him. I am pretty sure you are making it way harder for other people to be so. Kind of what @AroundTheWorld does to Clutch but on steroids, with lack of flair and zero regard to our other players.

My friend you are filling the pro-Jalen role so hard here you are actually overfilling it to the point people are taking opposite stance to hold your horses. Please think about it you are not helping Jalen, not that it will help Jalen if you do otherwise since we are non factor for the Rox here in actual sense however you are dragging these arguments to the point it is repulsive to others. Me personally not affected marginally by this however sometimes I want to stop you. This is me reaching out to you to tune it down, unless Jalen is your actual family member, dear friend or he owes you money.

Many people here are missing the fact that we are actual living human beings with emotions and pride and being factually correct does not mean you have to shove it down people’s throat. We have a saying that “There will be no smoke if there is no fire”. Clearly Jalen hasnt met the expectations yet. Stop trying to cover up the sun with mud. Thanks, peace.

Disclaimer: Same happens for Alperen here and I dont like it either.

#199 plegus, Jan 8, 2024
    Easy, DaDakota and IvanLCPM like this.
  20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Good stuff! Amen's handles are not (yet) elite by NBA standards, but he'll get there IMO. The problem now is sometimes he's careless and overconfident. But he'll get that out of his system soon enough.

I'm just glad he's out there learning his limitations against NBA players, figuring out what works, helping push FVV's mpg closer to 30 than 40, while also being productive and helping the Rockets win.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.