1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green vs Ant Edwards - who will be the better combo/sg when all is said and done

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Aug 22, 2023.

?

combo/sg of the future

1. Jalen Green

42 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. Anthony Edwards

114 vote(s)
    71.7%
  3. others

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

The thread specifically asked fans to compare the 2 players at the end of their career. Anyway the comparison between 2 players with diff experience levels this early in their careers is unfair especially when most players mature and grow into their own year 4 or 5 (booker, fox, tatum). If you look at my recent post the numbers between green and Edwards in year 2 are very similar with Green edging Edwards in multiple categories. But the 2 are very close and there isn’t a clearly better player.

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

The numbers show Jalen getting fouled more than Edwards in their 2nd years (486 to 280). Green also gets more u assisted points in the paint. He is getting to the rim by himself and getting fouled because he can do this easily. But there’s something to be said about size and strength and that may explain why Edwards % in RA is better.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  3. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

look at their year 2 numbers not year 3 vs year 2. It is very close and closer analysis reveals Green was actually better in several categories but the player’s performances in their year 2 are very close.

4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yes you are right. The data shows Green has a more diverse arsenal. He also had more unassisted buckets. I specifically compared their 2nd years not Edwards’ year 3 lol. Green was better than Edwards in multiple categories. One major category Edwards was clearly better in was restricted area scoring. This may be explained by size and strength

5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Do people just neglect the fact that Edwards has a full year on Green? They were not drafted in the same class. And people should be looking at the numbers more closely instead of surface stats like TS% then declaring who the better player is. The numbers between these 2 players are very close. Look
    At my recent post with the numbers on it.

6. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Green got to the line 486 times compared to Anthony’s 280 in their year 2. It’s very interesting to me as their restricted area FGA are similar but Green shoots a lower % in RA. We know he gets fouled a lot in the paint as he blows by opponents and his lack of strength may explain the lack of finishing in this area as opposed to a bigger stronger Edwards. Green’s unassisted scoring% in the paint is higher than Anthony’s though. The man just gets buckets and he can go to the paint whenever he wants. Just needs to bounce these fools off him like Harden and get that RA scoring up.

ApacheWarrior and Losmi_34 like this.
  7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Not true my man. Look at their year 2. Not Edwards year 3. That’s an unfair comparison. Green is a better mid range and jump shooter than Edwards. Edwards edges in 3’s slightly.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

The numbers in their year 2 do not support what you are saying.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

It's a bit tricky of a comparison. Ant does have more NBA experience and that counts for something, sure. However, he started his second season at a younger age than Jalen did, and he shot more threes while knocking them down at a higher rate.

That said, I think I can agree with you that Jalen projects to be a better pure shooter. I think his shots were higher difficulty, and his career FT% is higher, so the numbers are a little deceptive.

Stephen_A likes this.
  10. NewAge

NewAge Member

One thing I gotta say now that I am watching the FIBAs is that ANT has a waaaaay cooler personality. Bright and funny. Green is just a weirdo…

(Doesn’t mean I won’t get onboard if Green starts bringing us the Ws. Some of our franchise players have been weird: T-Mac and Harden, and I was a big fan of both of them... Stevie was cool, but the demons got the better of him. Yao and Dream were noble and dignified… From the current crop of talent Amen is very, very impressive. If he becomes the Man it’d be very cool.)

11. kpdark

kpdark Member

Agreed. After comparing both players' year two[in numbers, while with different team goals, one is tanking hard and the other is trying to enter the playoffs]..... and after that Edwards having just finished his year three, Green right now has something like a blue print or a road map on how to tackle his own path to a 'winning' third season like Edward's.
    Entering the third year, Jalen may have the disadvantage compared to Ant because Green becomes the big brother[there is KPJ, but..] among his fellow youngsters, while Edward has KAT as the big brother who handled the pressure of carrying the team..there was also Dlo Russell...and both teams added vets as help.
    Then comes the reason of comparison at this point.... will Jalen follow a path similar to the 'template' laid out by Ant[specially now that Ant is being anointed as one of the faces of the NBA's future], or have his own. At least for us spectators, as we watch this coming season unfold, we have a 'guidebook' to use as reference to see if Green is on the right path or inline to a seemingly successful third year[Ant's that is]

12. NewAge

NewAge Member

I’d still probably rate Lamelo and Halliburton ahead of ANT from that class.
    Lamelo has regressed while Ant has progressed, however. I get the injuries, but bottom line is bottomline.
    Ty OTOH has been awesome from day 1 and only getting better

13. PatBev

PatBev Member

Ant the better player but Jalen will have more team success front the surrounding talent and Minny sucks as a organization

Ant has the advantage cause he has the peoples vote cause dude is ****ing hilarious in interviews and has the personality. Jalen just mumbles in interviews

NewAge likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

"Younger age" here is the difference between someone in your same grade class being born 4 months younger than you but are still in the same grad because of what the school district determines is the cut off date.

Edwards graduated high school and joined the NBA a year after that. Green graduated high school and joined the NBA a year after that. If Ant was a Senior in highschool, Green was a junior. So it's not like one player did two years of college and joined the NBA and another player did one year. Both players had similar levels of experience joining the NBA, arguably Ant had more because he didn't have a covid season that erased most of the college basketball season the year Ant was in college unlike with Green where the Gleague season was canceled and replaced with a mini bubble tournament.

Ancient Moabite and Stephen_A like this.
  15. fchowd0311

It's been reverse so far. Ant has the better team and veteran talent around him the past two years compared to Green.

Stephen_A likes this.
  16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Green has more in his arsenal as his shots breakdown data shows (finger roll layups, floater layup, floater jumpshot, reverse layup, stepback, fadeaway) he shot these with more frequency than Edwards. They were both 20 coming into year 2 and the difference is negligible.

But Edwards did do some things better year 2. Yes he shot 3% slightly better and edged in steals and rebounds but where he dominated and was much better than Green was his restricted area scoring and layup% in this area. All the great guards have a high RA FG% (fox, booker, Kyrie, Dame). This is perhaps where size and strength come into play absorbing contact or changing course of defenders bouncing them off etc especially after a foul.

#136 Stephen_A, Aug 27, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Ant has a better team, though with major flaws — KAT is another guy you can look to to make the case that Sengun HAS to be at least decent on defense to be the main center and even a partial focus of the offense. I know nobody wants to hear it, but centers have different roles than guards. A bad defensive center can hurt a team more than a bad guard, or even multiple bad guards (defensively). So don’t bother comparing his defensive woes to Green. They’re not the same; they don’t impact the team the same way.

they had to guy find the best defensive center in the league to pair with KAT and it still isn’t likely going to work.

thankfully, I think a lot of Sengun’s problems on that end are due to immaturity and lack of discipline. He reaches, positions hips wrong, and just gets himself out of position too often. Fairly easily to clean that up with film and growth. I have faith he will. Will it take a few years? Maybe.

glimmertwins likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In positionless and heavy switching era, everyone has to defend.

Using the Center as excuse has been the lazy take by non creative teams.

There are only like 1 or 2 teams that hide an MVP or future HOFer player like Curry or Luka. Not the norm.

19. fchowd0311

Every high usage offensive player is "hid" for stretches. Laws of thermodynamics apply to basketball players. They have finite energy. You play 2k? Stamina bar exists for a reason. Ever play a real full court basketball game?

20. bmelo

bmelo Member

I dont know bro, hes just better right now and until Green shows otherwise it will stay that way