1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green to participate in dunk contest

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Feb 1, 2022.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

Knee injuries happen at random in the NBA. Klay blew out his achilles in practice. It can happen.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I mean players have literally avoided the dunk contest because they didn't want to put strain on their knees. Overuse of any body part could cause injury to it.

3. xaos

xaos Member

If Green suffers a noncontact injury from practicing dunks it's likely due to some major muscle imbalance or existing tear. Practicing dunks ranks much lower as a risk than 5 on 5 drills, games, intense practices, explosive weight training, etc. In other words, if he were to tear something while practicing a dunk then he CERTAINLY would tear something before the season ends playing a game, practicing, etc

DeBeards and Jontro like this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He can finally finish at the rim, shouldn't be much defense.

DD

Milos likes this.
  5. jacoby

jacoby Member

It's not just dunking. We see dangerous 360 windmills, blindfolded attempts, jumping over 7 footers... a lot could go wrong.

Do I think something will go wrong? Not at all. But the dunk content is so stale at this point that I'd rather our guys just attempt the 3 point contest instead or something. Less risk for a more exciting event ASW event.

6. xaos

xaos Member

If they needed a rest, sure. All star break is a great time for the guys to get rest. But, they're not avoiding it because it hurts their knees unless if they're just old or dealing with existing pains. People who can do explosive dunks usually practice these dunks all of the time.

7. xaos

xaos Member

I'm extremely confident no one in the NBA views a 360 as a dangerous dunk.

8. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

No but I for one will be glad to see him in the dunk contest, as opposed to the regular season, when he normally just competes in the dunked "ON" contest!!!

He's tied for the team lead with Alp............no, better not go there. :D:(

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How much are dunks worth again?

Glad he is in the contest, but I really want to see him learn a floater, or a stop and pop midrange....so when the lane is clogged he has something else in his bag.

DD

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Might be the first year in a long time that the dunk contest isn't something to look forward to. And we even have a Rocket representing.

11. TimDuncanDonaut

If you can give suggestions on the dunk contest, what themes/ideas would you give to Jalen?

DeBeards and i3artow i3aller like this.
  12. Salvy

Salvy Member

Jump over a Mobley cardboard cutout....

13. i3artow i3aller

DeBeards, alethios, xaos and 4 others like this.
  14. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Do this:
    But in Dave Chapelle's Prince outfit. Embrace the Jeri Curls.

15. TimDuncanDonaut

From earlier in thread.

* possible homage to a Gerald Green past dunk.

* Dunk over Mobley cut out. Fun to jest, but all star game is in Cleveland this year. oh the boos and heel turn. Same if he tried over a Cade cardboard or a fan in Cavs/Pistons uni.

* Chapelle / Prince suit; shirts vs. blouses. So Jalen serving up dunks and pancakes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

--- Other spit balling
    * Play into the Michael Jackson thing.

* Play into the nickname Zero G? (Jersey number + Last initial). Good for merch sales.

* Play into the last name?
    • Green lantern shirt
    • Kermit frog beanie.
    • Greenback shirt; something to the effect: 'dunk is money.'
    • Dunk a green ball.
    • T-shirt with TEXT: Green Gang. :eek::D
    * Sponsor stuff: dunk over Rooms To Go furniture, or a Whataburger French Fries mascot.

* Dunk with another teammate. Al-p and Tate are available.

" A Jalen/Jalen dunk, if Jalen Rose is there.

* Dunk / assist with a Filipino celeb like Bruno Mars (that name might be too big)
    [​IMG]

...keep 'em coming.

#135 TimDuncanDonaut, Feb 7, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

i3artow i3aller and xaos like this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

This would be a clever troll.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

The key is to let him hang with guys he can emulate. He needs to know there is more. Want more. And work to get it.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

Put up signs on sticks that say do not dunk, slam the ball through all of them leaving them broken on the floor, and then have Porzingas reveal himself as the janitor now sweeping them up into a dust pan as the crowd oos and ahs. In background, Nirvana's Teen Spirit reverberates. What would make it legendary would be if the lights go out when he is dunking, and you never really know if he did or didn't, but when the lights comeback on there is Porzingas seeping up the mess.

#139 PhiSlammaJamma, Feb 7, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't know, but for some reason I see Green embarrassing himself by trying too hard.

I don't want to be that guy, but It would fit with everything that is going on with the Rockets.