1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green thinks Silas should run more offense through Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rolliepollie, Nov 30, 2022.

1. j@amc

j@amc Member

The level of hands-off "leadership" by this coaching staff is so strange. I'm not sure why our owner and GM approve.

The best hands-off example I can think of is Alpi's last possession before his first substitution: he spins off Jokic, completes the dunk, and is subbed out. When he returned to the game, he never went back to that position on the court or success. I honestly think Alpi could have drawn multiple fouls from Jokic or forced them to double-team in the post. As good of an offensive player as Jokic is, in this two-game set Alpi got whatever shot that he wanted to create.

It's like our Rocket's group is just out there for a workout.

In each possession, a young player tries to make something happen almost on their own (or maybe as part of a two-man game). And if there's ball pressure or a help defender, or really any resistance, whatever "plan" might have existed immediately goes out the window. We're in panic and chase mode until the end of the shot clock (which has invariably worn down because we sauntered up the court).

There's no grit to our offense or counterplay. I attribute that lack of resolve to the culture the coaches have created. Young players all over the US play with resolve and fortitude. See the NCAA, which is loaded with teams that have players that are young or have only been in their system for six months or less. Even amateur high school students can follow a game plan or be taught what to do when things are hard.

And on defense, the Rockets can't even think about mounting a collective resistance. We half-heartedly wave at the offense, hope they miss, and go all out for the board (because everyone seems to know how to do that).

Denver's players probably met for about an hour after that first game, and once they talked it out, they could get any shot they wanted.

As I pointed out during the playback, the halftime herd of girls looked more organized and committed to running than we did last night.

Does our front office actually believe that adding another top-5 player is going to change our destiny? Even a generational talent like W. would be wasted on this crew.

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I was behind Silas last year but we really have to cut our losses this year with him - he is doing more harm than good and the team is already starting to show signs of desperation from having a coach who is frustratingly unable to help them improve. I don't think Silas is a bad coach in the right situation, but this one aint it.

I'll admit to thinking Silas deserved the benefit of the doubt last year, but I have been completely unimpressed by the progress this year and it's KILLER because this is the year we have to start making decisions about what our future core is and we still haven't scratched the surface with half of our players. Our lotto pick from last year for instance apparently has no role in the offense aside from standing at the 3pt line and waiting for our guards to not pass it to him before he becomes frustrated and jacks up a shot the next time he gets it out of the flow of the offense.

#102 glimmertwins, Dec 1, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    Bo6, clos4life, hakeem94 and 8 others like this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Well said

4. bmelo

bmelo Member

hakeem94 and aaquaa like this.
  5. bmelo

bmelo Member

After 8 years of spamming in your face off the dribble shots i would like me some systemic basketball

6. bmelo

bmelo Member

Every superstar regardless position has easy buckets against a team. How you gonna hold defense against anyone on that team when everybody struggles at it

hakeem94 and aaquaa like this.
  7. bmelo

bmelo Member

Make sure to tag everybody who ****s up because if Sengun cant play because of d then nobody on this team can play

8. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Rockets started poorly but was hopeful after Alpi's first dunk. The score was 17-20 and Nuggets commentator said that:"Alperen Shengoon scored the last 6 for the Rockets". F.. I knew that Silas would bench Alpi. JGreen missed 2 FT when it was 17-23, Alpi was subbed immediately, Denver run 21-7 when Alpi subbed, game over.
    EGordon scored 0/3 beyond the arc, JGreen 1/7, Gary Bird as bad also and people started to talk about Alpi's defense. Are these people real, are these people want anything good for the Rockets? Petty people.

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

LOL drop mic 100% OWNAGE!!! NAILED IT
    HIRE THIS MAN OR MOVE THIS PITY FRANCHISE TO VEGAS

Ankara1923 likes this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

TAKE THIS POST AND STICK IT TO STONES TILAMANS AND SILASSES MIRROR
    so they can read it every morning while shaving

tank apologists are advised of the same

Ankara1923 likes this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and i was told its ok to play alpi 6 minutes or 4x3 minutes a night

and i was told the entire 4th quarters of garbage time aint matter
    @SamFisher

Ankara1923 and aaquaa like this.
  12. j@amc

j@amc Member

It's possible that front-office people or players may read fan boards (at their own risk). But as fans, we're at a point where we have to say something. Last year I started a thread called "the chase is on" after our historically poor start. After 20 games, I'll bump that thread and compare how we're doing now versus then.

But what I see in players' body language that's different between last year and this year is that we've finished game 21 and no longer care. It's more of a willful tanking, a resignation. I'm not sure it will show up in the stats, but anybody watching has to be able to see it.

The worst stat that I've seen comes from the player tracking numbers from the Denver debacle. Eric Gordon's MPH number, measuring how fast you move, in the second game was 3.55. Terrible, deplorable effort. His first game was worse: 3.43. That's a lot of standing around, and if you're going to do that, you might as well have your John Wall moment and shut everything down on the bench.

It's sad that we've reached this point because Eric Gordon hasn't lost a step. He's lost the will to take steps. And why should he? He's given his all for this franchise, and they've stripped it down to the studs. Take your lumps because you bungled the trade deadline and waive the guy already. You owe it to him to let him decide his own fate.

hakeem94 and Ankara1923 like this.
  13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

That's and interesting stat but confirms what I have seen from him all season - whether it's disinterest or age, he is very clearly not the same 2-way player he has been for Houston historically....and while he fits the definition of a veteran player, he has always been far too quiet to be a true leader.

No disrespect for EGo, but he brings this team literally nothing we need right now - negotiate a buyout and let him go because he isn't bringing the kind of leadership or play that makes anyone on this roster better. Same problem with Silas - he may be the right coach for a specific type of team, but he sure isn't helping THIS team so let's cut our losses and move on. If this is a rebuild, let's cut ways with the two most obvious holdovers from a different time and place. It's time.

j@amc likes this.