1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green Team USA Scrimmage/Game Sightings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Aug 3, 2023.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I would say both are concerning. Failure to get many of those looks and failure to convert the ones they did.

For instance, if you look at a team like Milwaukee…they weren’t a whole lot better percentage wise at converting open looks. But they generated much more of them than we did.

But if you look at Denver, they were about middle of the pack at creating open looks, but they were the best team in the league at converting the looks they got.

Also, it’s kind of weird but overall the league percentage was better against tight defense. The league in general shoots worse on Open looks and wide open looks than they do against tight defense.

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I would say both are concerning. Failure to get many of those looks and failure to convert the ones they did.

For instance, if you look at a team like Milwaukee…they weren’t a whole lot better percentage wise at converting open looks. But they generated much more of them than we did.

But if you look at Denver, they were about middle of the pack at creating open looks, but they were the best team in the league at converting the looks they got.

Also, it’s kind of weird but overall the league percentage was better against tight defense. The league in general shoots worse on Open looks and wide open looks them they do against tight defense.

Edit: thinking about it and looking at the stats again, it’s not that strange since most of the wide open shots taken are going to be threes.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I dont think Unguarded shots automatically equal to good/easy shots, especially for a roster like the Rockets. Teams scout players, they most likely intentionally give some of our players certain open shots on the court knowing they aren't comfortable hitting them. It's like giving PJ Tucker open elbow 3's all game long instead of corner Catch and Shoot 3's.

Tate, Sengun, KJ and Tari for most of the season had defenders sag off their non-corner 3 point attempts.

Either way I feel like even some of our "open shots" are not generated by set plays and they don't hit the shooters in rhythm.

Easy likes this.
  4. Exiled

Exiled Member

those JOF , wipe your tears and repeat after me :
    Steven Siles is Phil Jackson &Jalen is Kobe ,hope this makes you feel better

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think some of the open looks are intentional allowed by the defense for bad shooters. For example, the vast majority of Draymond's 3pt shots are wide open but he only shoots around 30%. Teams just sag off of him and dare him to shoot.

If you have a lot of bad shooters, you may get lots of open shot but the converting rate can be low. Those open shots aren't generated by the offense but given by the defense. High percentage shots generated by good schemes, good passing, and good shooting are the "real" open shots.

edit: @apollo33 made the same point.

xtruroyaltyx and Mathloom like this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Interesting to find out those who were whining about us not making enough open shots were pulling it out of their ass. The data shows we were as bad at them as you would expect from a team consisting of people roughly 20 years old (skill-related). However we generated the lowest amount of catch and shoot 3's in the NBA (tactical).

They threw KPJ into that PG position and he was god awful at generating lobs and hitting the corner 3pt shooter.

Very promising for our future. Running plays is what's going to teach our scorers all the possibilities. It will slowly become second nature to them. I'm sure when they hit their mid 20's they will be better at running an open offense but it was ridiculous to expect anything different from it last season.

#166 Mathloom, Aug 8, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2023
    O-dawg likes this.