1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green Team USA Scrimmage/Game Sightings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Aug 3, 2023.

1. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Like that catch and shoot game. The offense last year just did not generate very many easy looks, I'm looking forward to seeing what Coach Udoka does to improve this. More looks like that will improve everyone's efficiency.

2. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

:rolleyes:

Mathloom, i3artow i3aller and Possum like this.
  3. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

4. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

They left him in the Green room

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

You cannot overstate how bad Stephen Silas was as a coach. You simply cannot.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The big that was passing to him is a player from Ignite....G-league. Funnily.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Isn't this just plain wrong? IIRC the Rockets took a huge number of unguarded C&S shots last year and were horrendous at converting them.

8. fattz

fattz Member

Not say Silas was anything but bad but he did coach what was in front of him. It’s not Green’s fault. When we drafted him his age and Covid = high school, limited time in G-league are his references points.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I would say if 19 year old Green was drafted this year with our current roster he'd probably be seeing around 15-20 minutes per game instead of being thrown into the fire as a starter from day one playing 30+ minutes per game. The roster was so gutted and devoid of talent that year that by the second half of Green's rookie year season he probably was still the best option as a starter on the team relative to what was behind him in the depth chart. But that wouldn't be the case today with FVV, a more polished KPJ, Amen etc. 19 year old Green would not see 30 minutes a night if those players were in the roster.

fattz, Ancient Moabite and Mathloom like this.
  10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yes...he coached what was in front of him at an excessively detrimental level.

fattz likes this.
  11. O-dawg

Supporting Member

What games were you watching? Just from the eye test I don't recall seeing a large number of catch and shoot situations but wanted to check my vision so pulled up the per game catch and shoot stats from NBA.COM (Teams Catch & Shoot | Stats | NBA.com). Aaaaaannnd... wait for it... the Rockets were dead LAST in number of catch and shoot field goals attempted.

upload_2023-8-7_16-37-39.png

Scarface281, joshuaao, larsv8 and 2 others like this.
  12. SamFisher

The same ones you did.

I'm talking about guarded/closely guarded shots, which is why i wrote.

unguarded C&S shots

IIRC the Rockets took a huge # of open shots (whether catch/shoot, pull up, whatever) and were awful at converting them

It's ob bbref/nba.com. also there's many posts about it here.

#153 SamFisher, Aug 7, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
  13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

This is why im so optimistic about this upcoming season. Stephen Silas was soooo bad as a coach. The Rockets weren't concerned about winning and wanted to tank and the STILL thought about firing him before the season ended. THATS how bad he was.

I think many of the returning players from last season will see a significant bump just from the coaching change alone.

O-dawg likes this.
  14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/shots-closest-defender?CloseDefDistRange=4-6 Feet - Open&SeasonType=Regular Season&dir=D&sort=FGA

Am I putting in the wrong criteria because this says the Rockets took the 4th fewest open shots.

Even if you expand the criteria to wide open 6+ feet, they took the 6th fewest shots of that kind.

I cant find anything anywhere that says this offense generated a bunch of open shot opportunities.

Now on the open shots they did get, they shot bad... But based on what i see they didnt get a lot of them to begin with.

Rockets took the third MOST tightly contested and very tightly contested shots.

Unless I’m missing something seems like the Rockets last year had to put up a lot of shots with defenders all over them.

#155 xtruroyaltyx, Aug 7, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
    joshuaao likes this.
  15. O-dawg

Supporting Member

I was talking about catch-n-shoot situations (which is what you questioned). If you want to change that to "open" shots now I get it, but the Rockets obviously did NOT take huge number of catch and shoot shots ... guarded or unguarded.

:cool:

16. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The "eye test" has significant flaws and memory (at least mine) is even worse. That said, what I remember was a lot of catch and shoots that did not seem to be the result of a coherent plan. Therefore, they were not well anticipated or in rhythm and consequently, even when open, not particularly high quality shots. My initial reaction was to blame KPJ for this situation (and I still think he deserves some blame), but the more I think about it, the more I can accept that he was also the victim of really poor coaching and a bad system.

Ancient Moabite and fchowd0311 like this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean for me it's mostly a product of having one of the youngest teams in NBA history when you actually adjust for minutes played(guys like Boban and Frank the tank inflate our average age last season but hardly played). Too many headless chickens on the court at the same time. Too many players finding their role in the NBA and figuring out NBA basketball at the same time on the court together. It's nearly impossible to run an organized offense in that situation.

Mathloom likes this.
  18. SamFisher

Ok, I'm talking about "unguarded" shots which is why i initially wrote

unguarded c&s shots​

(Emphasis added)

The Rockets were very bad at converting open shots last year - or "easy looks" as you say.

It wasn't lack of easy looks that was as problematic as the failure to convert them.

Look at your chart to see why. Who is the worst converting C&S team?

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

When Green's feet are set he is a very good shooter.

DD