1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green Team USA Scrimmage/Game Sightings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Aug 3, 2023.

1. NewAge

NewAge Member

Fact that we’re are still wildly speculating about Green and Cade’s career trajectories, with huge spread of opinions, just shows you how disappointing their first two years were. I mean the Senior team has Austin Reaves who’s from their class and two guys from the following year’s class (Banchero and Kessler).

The 2021 draft is the biggest scam ever. We were supposed to be getting the next:
    • Lebron/Luka (Cade)
    • MJ/Kobe (Green)
    • Duncan (Mobley)
    • brandon Roy (Suggs)
    the best draft since 2003? Anyone remember that?

Corrosion likes this.
  2. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

Call me crazy but I don't think it's unfair to judge his defense here, these guys are surely playing hard to prove themselves in these situations.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Some posters just don't like Green and they always make outlandish criticism. You know who they are. On the flip side, people got excited by looking at some YMCA type of pick up games.

The scrimmage is of much better quality than some clips on Twitter. There are some legit takes on this video. You just seemed to dismiss everything simply because it's a scrimmage and not a real game.

clos4life and Yinka Dare like this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Team USA isn't an all-star team in the sense it's just the best players. The best players tend to be ball dominant. You can't have a team that is meant to win actual games against competitive teams just have a roster full of number one options. 30 years ago you could as the gap between American born players and international players was so dominant back then.

But today these international teams are well oiled machines with great team cohesion and complete teams that aren't just a bunch of ball dominant first options. Players have their roles like an actual NBA team and not some stupid all-star exhibition.

So a Tean USA of the past decade has been constructed like a real team with a select group of ball dominant superstars and elite role players. Green if he joins the main team which is his goal is going to be on the team because he's one of the best American born ball dominant stars in the league. This year that role is filled by guys like Ant and Tyrese. Those players for now are better than Green at the role of being a ball dominant star.

Paolo is a bench big man scorer. Green would be redundant now as he is a less experienced less polished version of Ant.

Just look at how the select team was selected. It was a few young up and coming on ball primary option types in Cade and Green with a bunch of high end young role players like Herb Jones.

If the select team roster was just 12 of the best young players under 22 who can score and do things with the ball in their hands, KPJ actually might make the roster. But they only reserved like 2 slots for that type of player on the select team. Scottie Barnes would also be selected if it was just " American best players with the ball in their hands under 22"

#84 fchowd0311, Aug 5, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2023
    Rocketeer likes this.
  5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I am really placing a lot of importance on how Green performs this year. And even in my own brain, maybe I will write him off, depending on how it goes. However, there is a certain level of considering he will still be mega young.

I just make myself more comfortable in the educated, guess that 2 to 4 of these youngsters will emerge into all stars.

Corpusfan and Easy like this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

i was trying to figure out who that guy was, never seen him before in my life, lol

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

jalen williams from OKC

i didnt realize there was so many jalens in the wild now. 3 on the select team.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I get what you're saying, but in 99% of cases defense is not played in a scrimmage so it makes sense to dismiss a criticism that is entirely about poor defense in a scrimmage. Everyone has a right to an opinion. It's also ok to call some opinions stupid while also holding the belief that Green needs to work on his defense. They're not mutually exclusive. I'm not out here saying Green doesn't have a ton of work to do. I'm not blind. I'm just rooting for him to do it.

It's especially silly because team defense is not learned in the offseason. Proper defense is learned in training camp and gradually within a season. You can get stronger and you can think of ways to motivate yourself maybe but you're not really improving your team defense in the offseason. Jalen was bad at defense for much of the end of last season like practically everyone else on the roster. What magic was going to happen in the summer that he would show up a good defender in these workouts? He's chasing his matchup throughout the scrimmage so it's not an effort issue, you can just see he has 0 fundamentals and timing and understanding of positioning. That's what Udoka will focus on and it will take months into the season. It's not something that's going to appear on day 1 of a scrimmage. So then what's the idea behind someone pointing that out other than being a hater?

Just really reeks of stupidity and extreme pessimism. It should get push back.

#88 Mathloom, Aug 5, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2023
    Ancient Moabite likes this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

First thing that should've made you doubt it is it being posted by "Buttcrack Sports". :D

YOLO and i3artow i3aller like this.
  10. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

He's playing with Turkey

11. i3artow i3aller

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not much creativity involved by their parents.

13. mario_v

mario_v Member

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The fact that Banchero plays as a lead guard while being a 6-9 250 lb block of vibranum is what makes him especially valuable player more so than any stats comparison. I mean that's why teams - teams such as the Houston Rockets - were salivating over the chance to draft him last year.

Why does this even need to be explained?

Or is this just some dude from Rockets twitter flaunting Rockets pride against imaginary social media persecutors? Hmmm....

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya bud that size is a means... It's a means to being more efficient.

That's not happening. So that size is irrelevant then.

Or else every taller player would be better than any smaller player.

So ya, that size isn't getting him to be more efficient than Jalen.

Mathloom and mario_v like this.
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Read what you wrote maybe 3-4 times. Then read what quoted. Sheesh

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  17. kpdark

kpdark Member

front row and almost center

Mathloom likes this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

omgomgJalenIs6'8"!!!!