1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green should be the pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jun 22, 2021.

1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Every video and scouting report of these two has been posted a million times since we got the pick. I've explained my position and why multiple times. If you don't like my opinion don't respond. Pretty simple

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just don't see how anyone would think he'd lead the Rockets in scoring when he wouldn't have even led the vipers in scoring a few months ago and he'd be at best a 3rd option on the Rockets.

If he scores even 15 points per game, that's a huge success for him.

3. King1

Really? Interesting observation before he sets foot on the court.

4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Whatever you say, cupcake. I don't dislike your opinion. I dislike you presenting it in a way that indirectly insults others ("massively overrated") while not taking the time to offer a shred of evidence supporting your point.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again, he wouldn't have even led the RGV Vipers in scoring a few months ago, thinking he's going to be a radically better scorer as the 3rd option in the NBA is flat out ridiculous.

Both KPJ and Wood will be better scorers than Green at least next season and probably for the next several seasons minimum....and that's assuming he ever steps his scoring up

6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

KPJ literally averaged 7 more points a game in the G League than Green. But yes, it’s totally reasonable to assume Green will average more points than KPJ and Wood his first season. Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

7. dmoneybangbang

This. People shoehorning Booker and Green together in order to support a narrative... Phoenix isn't reliant on one player.

xaos likes this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I believe he will surpass KPJ as a scorer by the end of his rookie season. Let's see if Stone picks him or not.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

All you got is ridiculous hyperbole because you are so biased against Green.

That's probably true. It's also probably true Mobley won't be a net positive on defense the first season or even sniffs being a 3rd option.

The rest is just pure speculation as it's as equally likely Green is the 2nd leading scorer by his sophomore season.

10. dmoneybangbang

It's certainly a possibility, KPJ only averaged 16.6ppg as a Rocket.

saleem likes this.
  11. DonatelloLimestone

Wait, hold on.

So you're comparing Green saying he could be similar toBooker...and that makes you not want him? The kid that just dropped 40 twice on teh finals, and before one bad game had two 30 point games?

You need creators. Now days its less about fit than talent a la heat, nets, rockes with paul/harden, just get your best players and make it work around them as all the fouls and rules are geared towards superstars. Mobley looks very flud and elite athletically, but then going back to your comparasion. If you had to pick no one for the suns and you had booker and ayton on the board, you are gong to build around ayton? Not many people in the league can score and create like booker. IF ayton is the best player, easier to collapose on him.

As far as why he can't win at the highest level and referring to harden. harden was there, right at at the finals, when you get ot the conference final level or even smi finals one play or shot o quarter can make the difference but the margins are thin so anything can happen. Toronto didn't just undisputed get to the finals with leonard, they got a very lucky bounce, it was that close and history was made. LEbron's block on IG, cavs overpayng their roster, history made. On the other hand after harden got close(Yes he could've done more sure) but we began to cheap out on margins and role players, ironically two players the suns paid of ours that we decided weren't worth it, Ariza and Chris Paul, shows sarver has evolved when we literally wanted to give away those contracts here n houston

everyday eddie and xaos like this.
  12. King1

Cupcake? Sorry dude I don't swing that way. Hopefully, you find the man you're looking for though. I wish you luck

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's absolutely no reason to believe that, he scored under 18 points per game in the g league, that usually translates to under 10 points per game in the NBA.

If you guys weren't so ridiculous with the Green hype, I wouldn't feel the need to bring some sanity to the conversation with some hard truths.

Could Green surpass KPJ one day? Sure, anything is possible, but it won't be happening any time soon. KPJ is simply too far ahead of Green right now and there's only a year and a half difference between the two in age....so while you can say Green will improve from what he currently is, KPJ is likely to improve as well staying well ahead of Green in basically every way.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think BTG is right on this one. Green backers want to use his performance in the G-League as proof he is special, ignoring the fact that he was completely outperformed by KPJ, Harkenstein, and even Jeremy Lin. Green to me has the highest bust potential of the top 4 and really not as high a ceiling as Cade or Mobley. I trust Stone as an evaluator and if he picks Green, I will have to re-think, but I think he will either go get Cade or pick Mobley.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. King1

I think you made a valid point about the G-League where it's all offense and no defense. That applies here though. Everyone is trying to prove themselves and looking out for their best interests. Not going to put a lot of stock in how he would have done For RVG. Simply don't know.

Obviously, I wasn't talking about who leads the team in scoring ( Wall and I'm assuming Gordon despite rumors will still be here. I was talking about looking at him as a pure scorer. I like KPJ but he's still got to show me something this season. Wood we'll see but I don't look at him as a pure scorer.

16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

More of a lock

17. xaos

xaos Member

I feel like there is some point to be made here if I wanted to say a bunch of ifs this and ifs that here...

But I'll just argue like some other people on here and completely ignore all other details while stating your own fact: a 24 year old guard who is certainly dominant in scoring, but not much else has his team 2 games away from an NBA championship. You might not be making the point you really want to make in that statement.

Do I think that's the absolute best formula? No

Ultimately, the best way to win a championship is to find a transcendent talent that dominates on both ends of the floor and build around him (the Jordan/Hakeem/Lebron route). I don't think Green, Mobley, or Cade will turn into that player. But, Cade, Mobley, or Green's upside potential could turn into a championship if you compliment them correctly.

I personally value having a player that can efficiently get off their shot in big moments ranked very high on my list of things I want in the player I am building around. I want that guy to have a fire in his belly! I want him to BELIEVE they are the #1 player in the draft and any team that skips over them is going to regret it. That's why I prefer Green over Mobley. My perceptions of Green matches that criteria -- a criteria that I had before this 2021 NBA draft. I believe Green will not only be a bucket getter throughout the game, but also when you need a shot the most. He has the offensive scoring potential to be elite and the confidence to make or miss those key shots. I say that he can be an elite scorer because he can get to the rim (one of the first things you want in an elite scorer) and finish in many ways, can create space for himself in various ways, and has a decent 3 point shot from NBA range. He has way more tools than just being a great athlete that as he continues to refine can result in elite scorer. I also see his work ethic and humble background story with his single mom, loving step dad, and how the love from all of the Philippines hasn't inflated his ego being a huge help in him be 'coached up' to work on the things he is weak at, ex: making secondary reads to the corner when the drive or cut isn't there, defensive deficiencies, or becoming a threat off the ball. I know there are some people reading this thinking something about how I am potentially dissing Mobley by saying all that. Let me be clear, those beliefs aren't dissing Mobley. Don't take me pumping up Green as me somehow dissing Mobley. We're not in 3rd grade.

I also can understand a person who values a well-rounded player being a player to build around. But, to me, if that person is well rounded, they need to be dominant in something offensively. When I look at the majority of first team NBA defensive players, they aren't someone you build around unless if they have at least one dominant offensive scoring quality (ex: Rudy Golbert, Draymond, Ben Simmons). I do think Mobley can be a dominant offensive player because he has all of the tools. He can pass, he can dribble, he can hit the baby hook when teams decide to play small ball against him, and he is a great decision maker. I see Mobley's upside more as a taller Draymond Green with an actual shooting touch. That's a scary player! You can build around that player. But, I think he'll always need a bucket getter and true point guard just like Green will likely need his defensive anchor or true point guard.

My belief, and mine alone, is I see Green reaching his potential before Mobley does. Hate to say it, but the NBA is also a league of joining forces. I see star players more likely to want to join a player like Green than I do Mobley. It's not an overwhelming factor, but it's something I've considered in the long term outlook

#1897 xaos, Jul 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I do believe KPJ will improve. It doesn't matter to me if Green is the third best scorer on the team at the end of the season. I do think you are underrating his scoring ability. Jalen is a quick learner. I haven't bought into the hype. I admit his defense is poor, and he needs to become a better passer. Mobley's 16 points a game on high efficiency won't translate to the NBA right away either. There is no doubt that Evan has excellent perimeter defensive skills that are valuable. His stamina and strength will be tested on offense and on the boards.
    The only reason why I'm leaning towards Green is because I believe he can handle physical contact better than Evan. They are both skinny. Evan needs more strength than Green since he is a PF/C.

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think we already have a Green in KPJ and KMJ who are already showing that potential in the NBA. In fact, I think our 2nd rounder KMJ will end up being a better Pro than Green. He’s miles ahead on defense, he is just as athletic, his 3 pointer is better than Green’s right now. Neither have great handles. Cade or Mobley are the picks. Hyper athletic guys are the norm now. Spending a no. 2 on a guy who couldn’t even dominate the G-League would be a big mistake to me. Unless, our **** owner intervenes I doubt Stone will take Green at 2.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The only thing I'm pushing back on are those who are ridiculously suggesting that Green will go from being a 17 points per game player in the G league to being the top scorer on the Rockets as a rookie. KPJ was better than Green at everything when they played at the same level of competition a few months back and there's no reason to think Green could bridge that massive gap in just a year given how much he needs to work on......and the fact he's not a primary ball handler, and the fact that he'd be at best a 3rd option on the team.....and that's with both Wall and Gordon gone. If those guys are still here, Green will struggle to get on the court.

I have irrational faith that if the Rockets are going with Green as a business decision, they'll find a way to dump Wall and Gordon, so that's one massive hurdle, but he'd still just be a 3rd option AND he'd have to face MUCH tougher competition in the NBA. A lot of what worked for him in the G league, to the extent that it worked, wouldn't work against NBA competition. That's why we routinely see 20 points per game G league players being 5 points per game players in the NBA.

a time to chill likes this.