1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green should be the pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jun 22, 2021.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

it’s a fair comment. It’s all a bit of a crapshoot.

this is a bit where I like the g league path. He’s been playing with “pros”. Jarrett Jack and Amir Johnson we’re on his squad. Everyone has good things to say about him.

also I like tha he was out there on his own. Getting paid ($600k) and living as an adult managing his own ****. The next level, the contract, etc all that shouldn’t be an issue.

ultimately it will all come down to talent, skill and mentality.

hope the Rockets get it right!!!

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Jalen Green has swagger and looks like a superstar. He already has 1.2mil on Instagram. Tillman cares about money Green is the most marketable superstar in a long time. He’s also part philipino to assist with the Asian market. Similar to Kobe’s appeal to Italians.

I see him being the next big thing in the nba, he just has the look. You know it when you see it.

3. i3artow i3aller

Jalen Green’s Trainer Breaks Down Why He Should Be Selected Over Cade Cunningham

4. Spooner

Spooner Member

Couldn’t agree more. I worry about his health but I would expect Christian Wood to improve this off season and be even better next year. I don’t think he’s at peak value just yet. Could be an even better trade asset next season and his contract is awesome. Having said that I wouldn’t hesitate to trade him to GSW in a package for #7 if it meant getting a guy like Keyon Johnson or Scottie Barnes. Golden State really wants to be competitive with Klay returning and the window is now for them. C Wood could be traded at the deadline for one of those guys or even Wiseman and future assets.

I think you have the right idea though. Wood is really good and we already take it for granted. Draft Jalen Green and then pick up Isaiah Jackson and Trey Murphy and call it a day.

Adiano-Malko, hakeem94 and Denovo like this.
  5. raining threes

Cade is still the guy I want to fall to the Rockets.

D-rock likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Green was also the 19th best scorer in G League.

So he was good but didn't dominate quite like the narrative implies.

But I hate putting down players to prop others up. Jalen Green is top 3 player in this draft.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

8. Fefo

Fefo Member

For Christian wood to prove he is worth a top 10 pick on a loaded draft, he needs to show that he can stay healthy and add value to a winning team. So far he is a player that has been on 6 teams in a few years and showed great flahses of talent for a few months.

9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

You can't watch this and not want to pick Green. You'd be crazy otherwise.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

D-rock likes this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

not impressed.. is he even on the level of andrew wiggins? i dont think so

#351 hakeem94, Jun 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

A factor for Wiggins trajectory is his love for the game, or lack of it... you can have all the tools and natural skills in the world, if you don’t crave to get better every game, every year, your odds to be great in this league are slim

An important factor when making our pick in the mindset of the player, and their likeliness to improve overtime.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

A lot of our image for how explosive LaVine is from the dunk contest, if you look at Zach’s in game athleticism, at UCLA for example, it’s pretty comparable

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Rockets4Life13

Which is why Jalen Green is the right pick

Htown's Finest likes this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yeah, KPJ was the leading scorer, but also took 6 more shots per game... for the 6 more ppg he scored on average in the g league last year. In fact 14 of the 18 players that had a higher average than him took more FGA per game.

I'm definitely not sold on him 1 million percent being the next big thing... i definitely would rather be sitting #1 and not having this discussion.

But I still go Green...Suggs...Mobley

everyday eddie and D-rock like this.
  16. PatBev

PatBev Member

KPJ & Green just sounds like a top 3 backcourt within 3-4 years

I’d check the backcourt off the list and focus on bigs down the line in future drafts

17. csc177

csc177 Member

I actually think these are all factors that would shift a team to drafting him. Definitely marketable and has the skill set to be a star.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I keep trying to figure out why people love his game so much. I can see the highlight reel stuff but he’s so one dimensional. I decided to watch some old college MJ when someone posted the quote of his trainer saying he’s in Lebron/MJ level athleticism.

Even if MJ was down to Greens level of athleticism he can still impact the game without the ball. Green does not play defense and they hide him on defense. You won’t find clips of him on defense coming up to pressure the ball handler. He does not have any hustle highlights. He can’t rebound. He doesn’t move without the ball. He doesn’t move the ball when he gets it.

Maybe he’s just been poorly coached his entire career and he’s got to this point simply on raw talent. Maybe he does have the ability to move the ball and move without the ball. I think those two things are the biggest issues for me.

I want to compare him to Jamal Crawford but Jamal has stellar handles. Maybe Green will develop that level of ball handling and become a similar player.

Amazing scorer on bad team or 6th man scorer on a good team is how I see his skill set.

BigggReddd likes this.
  19. Htown's Finest

Everything must be taken in context my dude. Green played in a system that was designed for him to showcase himself and his athleticism. The G League Ignite team was created for High School School kids to forgo college, get paid, and market themselves. Also understand that this kid is barely 19 and he is a SG not a PG most importantly.

robbie380 likes this.
  20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't care what anyone says. Jalen Green plays like Kobe Bryant until its proven otherwise.

i3artow i3aller likes this.