1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Jalen Green should be the pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jun 22, 2021.

1. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

This is why they are prospect. You draft them for their potential to improved. Since you can't teach height and athleticism. Top picks usually target those things. Out of all those top prospects. I think Cade and Moody are the two most NBA ready.

roslolian likes this.
  2. sydmill

sydmill Member

Agree on John Wall. I am not sold on KPJ as a point guard just yet (hence why I am agnostic about him not having the ball in his hands all the time). Suggs is I think a more natural point guard and would allow Porter to move to the two where he would be an extraordinary facilitator. The 2 knocks to Porter at the 2 are his jump shot and the loss of his physical mismatch on defense with him being so much bigger than most 1s.

Green's strongest attributes all lend themselves to ISO scoring, right? Super athletic, good handle, solid pullup J. Do you really believe that a good amount of the Rockets' offensive possessions are not going to be isolating Green on the perimeter moving forward?

I think that yes Booker takes the ball out of Paul's hand to a degree. But the situations are different. Paul is a pure PG. Porter is a combo guard. I think that matter in terms of success and maximizing the talent on your team.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

fair, my bad!

D-rock and Bobbythegreat like this.
  4. sydmill

sydmill Member

For being the 2nd pick in the draft as, almost exclusively, an offensive player I don't think he should have to fit the offense. He should be the fulcrum of the offense.

D-rock likes this.
  5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I like how Air Green has a variety of finishes when he's in mid- air. My boy be finishing like this.

[​IMG]

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

No one in this draft is LeBron.

And my comparison to the former duo we had here in Houston, wasn't a this for this comparison. CP is a HOF PG and so was Harden. The aspirations to just sniff the accomplishments they had together within that one season and change together would be dreams to a KPJ / Green duo.

My point was more so that they could work fluently together within THIS offense, not James Harden, Mike D'Antoni, and Daryl Morey's offense but Paul Silas and the rest of the gang that we put together's offense.

It would be nice if they could reach the levels of play that CP and Harden did together, but my point was that if two completely opposite games like that can come together work, I don't see why Green and KPJ can't.

vlaurelio and BossHogg713 like this.
  7. 19bernardo87

19bernardo87 Member

Well, sure. I could've called the two "areas he needs to improve on".

I do see a lot of people praising his shot and his handles though, so maybe it's just me (though we should all keep in mind that we are all mostly watching highlights).

D-rock likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Sure, a certain number of possessions will be Green ISO’s, but maybe how much ISO we ran with James Harden is clouding your perception of how much ISO top scorers typically run?

If we look at the 19-20 season, Harden ran ISO on 45% of his possessions. Russ was 2nd at 25%. Then we have top scorers like Dame at 17.9%, Tatum at 15.8%, Kawhi at 14.7%, and Irving at 12.9%…Booker and Lavine were both at 11.4%

this year, Lillard was 19.1%, Tatum 18.6%, Irving 17.6%, Booker 12.7%, and Lavine 9.6%

Booker and Lavine are Green’s most widely used comps along with Beal, and these guys are not doing that much ISO. Why is Green different?

Booker had 39% of his twos, and 66% of his threes assisted this year. For his career, 37% of his twos, and 66% of his threes are assisted.

Zach Lavine since he’s been in Chicago has had 36% of his twos and 53% of his threes assisted.

Bradley Beal this year had 43% of his twos and 72% of his threes assisted. For his career, he’s been assisted on 45% of his twos and 79% of his threes.

I expect Jalen Green’s offense to be similar to these 3…they get a good amount of their buckets assisted and do not ISO that much…this won’t be James Harden where under 20% of his twos and 30% of his threes are assisted.

KPJr wouldn’t be able to co-exist with a Beal, Booker, or Lavine and would have his development stifled?

Dobbizzle, zeeshan2, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  9. sydmill

sydmill Member

Perhaps you're correct. Those numbers are not anywhere near what I was expecting. I still have some concerns about Green but not as much for this reason after this post. Good stuff!

Reeko likes this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good post and research with numbers!

Mr Woods and Reeko like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Green likes to compare himself to Kobe.

The last player legitimately compared to Kobe was Jason Richardson.

Like Green, Richardson's weaknesses coming out was lack of playmaking and defense.

Richardson was a good player, but his lack of playmaking and defense continued throughout his entire 14 year NBA career.

Richardson and Lavine (another Green comp) were both 2× NBA Dunk Champions and finally averaged over 23 PPG in their 5th seasons.

Article comparing all 3 was fairly interesting.

https://spacecityscoop.com/posts/ho...en-green-01fazz7sfwd6/amp/3#slideshow-top-bar

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

How much did Wall and Dipo iso on Rockets last season?

I'm thinking it was career highs for both.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Jalen Green was criticized for having a low release point ---- in high school. It would appear that he has worked on that aspect of his game plenty since if you bring up older videos to his brief stint in the GLeague his shot is now being released much higher. He gets good lift from his legs and the mechanics on the shot are methodical and repeatable,.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Isn't this the same website that posted a terrible Mobley article?

D-rock likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

didn’t look up Oladipo, but Wall was 3rd with 23% of his possessions being ISO behind Harden and Russ, but he was in the 55th percentile for efficiency

it was around what he did his last few years in Washington…I remember Gortat took shots at him when he was out with injury implying that the Wizards played more like a team with Wall gone

D-rock likes this.
  16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have a really hard time counting out Jalen Green's improvement, because he is a straight-up basketball junkie/dog that will live in the gym.

zeeshan2 and Verbal Christ like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Probably.

Tit for tat I guess.

It wasn't written by Duckett at least.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Green's attributes also attribute him to being an excellent off ball player. His lean build and explosiveness allows him to make quick cuts and be Curry like in finding open spots and he has a quick release.

Harden added more mass and that prevented him from being a off ball catch and shoot option that runs around screens and makes cuts to the basket often.

Green reminds a lot of young rawer Jordan obviously not in terms of level of play but style and attributes. Jordan with his leaness and athleticism allowed him to be a really good off ball guard. He made excellent cuts to the basket all the time and utilized screen to take quick open shots.

If Green is going to be a superstar he is going to have to be able to do both like guys like Kobe, Drexler and Jordan who were excellent at both iso and off ball scoring.

Harden was different because of his shear strength and passing ability. He could get by with zero off ball game and still be a superstar.

#2138 fchowd0311, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  19. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

So are we just going to ignore the fact that our CF insiders have gone MIA?

D-rock likes this.
  20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Where have you seen this?

Everything I've seen, comparison wise, has been from the media and ultimate fanatics that started to throw those comps out while he was in HS.

Just like SAS and Max with anointing Devin Booker as the next Kobe now. Which he recently rejected during his post game interview on National Television. I don't recall Green ever accepting the comp or deeming himself the next Kobe either.