1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green putting in work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 25, 2023.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's always been about the on court performance, I neither like or dislike the person.

To begin with, he was never the type of prospect I would ever be terribly high on. When a prospect is hyped based on athleticism alone and they never faced any quality competition, those are red flags to me.

Despite that, when the Rockets took him, I hoped that the hype was based on something real and that he'd prove the doubters, including me, wrong.

Instead, what did we see? Low efficiency on offense and some of the worst defense I've ever seen in my life.

Now tell me, what about that am I supposed to like?

If he magically turns into a quality player one of these years, I'll be happy... but I'm not just going to pretend like he's good when he's awful on both sides of the court.... there's nothing personal, I just need to see at least halfway decent performance before I start praising a player.

2. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

I disagree. Adebayo is not a top tier star and neither is Butler, and they are surrounded by a below average cast excluding Herro who was out, and who was a rookie when they went to the finals in 2020. Even then, if you do not agree with Miami, the Blazers recently making it to the WCF was overachieving. They have Lillard who is a star and McCollum who was a good player, but were surrounded by mediocre role players. I mention those two 'cause they are recent examples.

3. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did somebody say "in the lab" already?

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

you can disagree. doesn't really matter. their accolades speak for themselves. multi time stars and all nba for butler. leading his team into the playoffs and finals runs. same goes for bam a Bam a multi time star and perennial all defensive big. what you think goes against all of this. those matter. what you disagree doesn't

oh the year portland won 53 games. and were the #3 seed. "overachieving" yeah another terrible attempt at an example that in no way correlates

5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Wont be long until we find out.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How many MVP votes has Butler and Bam accrued in their careers?

Champions level teams usually have one player at least who consistently gets into the top 5 MVP conversations

The Heat are a well oiled machine because of their coaching and training staff.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

this has nothing to do with the conversation

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

sure won't

#148 YOLO, Jun 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
  9. fchowd0311

Interesting. Aren't you debating whether the Heat success is more talent or coaching driven?

Arnel likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

and you come in and set your bar as mvp which has nothing to do with the actual conversation.

11. fchowd0311

How? If the debate is whether the heat success is coaching or talent wouldn't it be reasonable to compare the talents of other championship level teams?
    Don't the vast majority have MVP level first team players? The not having that and a lot of undrafted players making major contributions tells me the Heat success is a coaching and training staff thing.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

cause it doesn't. as usual you come in and just ramble and throw your 2 cents when it wasn't asked for. and the funny thing is jimmy butler actually did get top 5 votes. but i don't give af about that cause it doesn't concern me. being a perennial star in the league doesn't start with your silly mvp bar

go back to defending your bf jalen green

13. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

I disagree. Adebayo is not a top tier star and neither is Butler, and they are surrounded by a below average cast excluding Herro who was out, and who was a rookie when they went to the finals in 2020. Even then, if you do not agree with Miami, the Blazers recently making it to the WCF was overachieving. They have Lillard who is a star and McCollum who was a good player, but were surrounded by mediocre role players. I mention those two 'cause they are recent examples.
    Add winning 53 games to overachieving. You really think that roster was a WCF team? You really thought the Heat were a finals team? Either we have entirely different understandigs of what overachieving means or you're just lying.

Arnel likes this.
  14. Caesar

Caesar Member

He's had numerous games where he put on display the potential of what he could be. You're ignoring that he's a kid and the entire team was garbage. I'm not even sure prime Mike and Lebron would look like good defenders on these past few years tanking Rockets, but putting it all on a 19 and 20 year old who is still very much physically developing is a bit much. The whole team is inefficient. The whole team was bad at defense. The whole team is full of red flags. That's usually the case when you're purposefully tanking and when there is no leader form the court to the staff.

Stephen_A and majicdonjuan like this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really. they actually did what they were supposed to. Portland was projected to be a 50+ win team that season. yeah your understanding is clearly lacking. of course they're going to be different.

what you are using to classify "overachieving" is based solely on your personal opinion of a player(s)

16. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

It's the other way around if you thought Portland was supposed to make it to the WCF but whatever. Let's move along 'cause this had no end.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

I mean when you're a #3 seed which last time i checked is a top 4 seed. the #2 seed was seperated by a whopping 1 game. not much of an "overachievement" getting to the WCF.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Top 2

19. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

Portland getting that 3rd seed is an overachievement too.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

if it was then, they would have been exposed early in the playoffs. they didn't.