1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green putting in work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 25, 2023.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You are referring to the time TMac threw a fit by purposefully staying out of a half court offensive possession by hovering at the half court line while the team was running the offense. Ironically this was a claimed intended tactic to "create space" when Harden did it rather routinely

But this does show your hand that you just make stuff up about how Green plays defense because ruou are trying to portray a visual image of Green's defense by referring it to a vaisal image that never happened.

2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

....are you responding to me? All I said was they look like they've been working out.

3. NewAge

NewAge Member

No, I’m talking about D. will look it up tomorrow. it’s funny how you suspecting me of such intricate mental manipulations…

4. NewAge

NewAge Member

no, just used your post as a jumping-off point, but I was just commenting in the general discussion on Green’s D

5. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

Oh yeah, he deserved to be called out for his defense, but people here make it seem like everyone who Jalen guards shoots 100%. Also, according to CF, KPJ is a DPOY candidate. Crazy site for real. Being realistic is prohibited it seems.

#665 Yinka Dare, Aug 26, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
    fchowd0311 and Mathloom like this.
  6. fchowd0311

No, it refers to a specific incident on offense. The fact that you need to look it up means you didn't even first hand see what people are referring to. Like you keep on showing your hand.

#666 fchowd0311, Aug 26, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
  7. NewAge

NewAge Member

I’m referring to a specific incident on defense. I have to look it up to show you, I know very well what I am talking about.

8. fchowd0311

There is no specific incident on defense. The only time there was an incident where TMac "displayed frustration" on the court to the point of giving up was a specific play in Toronto and you heard it third hand most likely and are confusing it with some defensive play and are tying to create a fake image in your head of how Green plays defense showing your hand that your perception of Green's defense is fake.

9. NewAge

NewAge Member

I’m talking about T-Mac giving-up uncontested layups and Bill Worrell getting outraged

10. fchowd0311

The only incident were TMac did a protest due to frustration of the team situation was in Toronto when he hovered around the halfcourt line while the team was running a offensive set.

Now you are going to shift goal posts to mean "I'm just referring to a time when he didn't try hard".

No, your original reference specifically referred to a time TMac protested by giving up on a play.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

My bad. I misunderstood. Although I didn't see him looking all that strong, but who knows. I saw one or two drives where he looked all-world in the summer league but had to pick up his dribble or nearly fumble it away in this run. I'm hoping that's a legit addition to his game he can go to in the future.

Jalen looked bulked up a bit, and his shot looked smooth, but he's tricked me before. lol. I'm tempering expectations watching these videos since they only show the good stuff/successful shots. Even the "full game" videos only show the makes.

12. MystikArkitect

I'm not an OF of anyone. I'm a Rockets fan and I call things how I see them. Jabari was just as bad as Jalen defensively last year but at least shows the ability and desire. Jabari's issues were more reps and overall team lapses. I'm kinda there with Sengun as well who was often left out to dry by his guards who were turnstiles. By February no one seemed to give a **** anymore.

Jalen has a tendency to lose his man on backdoor cuts. Often. He tends to die on screens. Often. He tends to cite his offensive production as his emphasis. Offense is important for sure but we can't have him being a negative defender. Do I have faith in him becoming a positive defender? No actually. I don't. I have zero reason to believe that as I have yet to see him put forth that effort in the same way Jabari, Tari, Cam and Amen all have. You can *see* it with some guys and Jalen unfortunately either is unable to or hasn't been coached right. Hopefully it's the second. Hopefully DB/FVV can keep him focused on that end of the floor. Take Jabari for instance. In two SL games he obliterated any concern I had for him. Tari as well. Jalen has yet to do that especially watching his TUSA scrimmages. Same issues. Gets moved easily and loses his man. Outside of blind faith there isn't much reason to believe he's going to turn it around outside of really digging in his heels and just ****ing doing it starting this pre-season.

Or maybe he'll just Christian Wood it and say "it's just preseason". We shall see. If he starts to show something I'll be happy as hell.

NewAge and snowconeman22 like this.
  13. NewAge

NewAge Member

This.

I’ll also add many instances where he jogs leisurely back after a miss. Those are super-infuriating. All the apologists here saying "he’s only 21"… Well, aren’t young players supposed to run? Do we have to wait till he’s 25 for him to run back on D?

I’m not a big fan of any of the current Rockets players, given all the losing… But Green is my least favorite.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yeah I get it, the kid who has never been coached to play defense or played on a team where defense was required.... didn't play good defense. In fact, he played defense worse *gasp* than draft picks who have college or professional experience playing defense.

So how is it going to go, do you think Jalen Green will get materially better at defense next season or not? I totally understand that after the fact if it happens, you will acknowledge that it has already happened. What do you think is going to happen though based on what you've heard/seen/read?

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If Green actually played for Philippines at the WC, that would be home court for him, a much better chance to make noise.

NewAge likes this.
  16. MystikArkitect

I think it's a long term project with him defensively like it was with Steph. He's not going to turn it around in one year because of the two main things going against him. His size and just his overall defensive game feel. If he's just such an offensive supernova (which he could be) then you have to make it work because it's easier to find elite defensive players than elite offensive ones.

I think his defense long term could become "average" but his offensive ceiling is literally best offensive player in the league. If his defense gets to "above average" and he becomes offensively what he should be then the Rockets will be a title contender year after year. Especially if any of Amen, Cam or Jabari pan out as well.

I do not think he will be a positive defender in year 3. It's going to take more time. I do think offensively he is head and shoulders above Beal, Lavine, Booker and Edwards.

Mathloom and Dobbizzle like this.
  17. fchowd0311

Did the ultimate test anf tasted all the ball juices of every player in the roster and Green had the lowest Testosterone count.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I appreciate the elaboration - and acknowledging he's unlikely to have a full turnaround in one season - but I was wondering if you think he will do what's realistic:

Will Jalen go from "overall bad defender among NBA starters" to "average defender for a 22 yr old high scoring guard" in year 3? Genuinely interested in your prediction given what we've heard and seen thus far.

#678 Mathloom, Aug 27, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Typical Barry Lincoln…

BamBam likes this.
  20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Daannnnng there's a throwback lol

Thanks I'll be singing "piece of **** car" for the next 2 months now.

don grahamleone likes this.