1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green putting in work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 25, 2023.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah yes, the take that if only someone else was passing him the ball he'd then start to make open shots. That's brilliant.

2. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenja05.html

Porter
    Yr 1- .535 TS %
    Yr 2- .528 TS %
    Yr 3- .531 TS %
    Yr 4- .565 TS %

Green
    Yr 1- .547 TS %
    Yr 2- .538 TS %

AND JG had better numbers in almost every metric, defense included, in his first 2 yrs compared to your boy. Even with a crap coaching system. He's going to be just fine.

3. Caesar

Caesar Member

Fair enough. I hope Jalen or Amen become the first.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  4. Ancient Moabite

My ( personal ) opinion is I don't like such and such players game, but its nothing personal

Like really???

The lone non-stupid genius of CF is clearly a fan of his own personal limited floor game, which is obviously all defense muck it up football style, can't create a shot on any level of bball court on offensive side for self or otherz

And anyone who claims they turn down lots of women annually is usually the one that gets shot down by lots of women annually, ego is a motherfreaker

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Is not a fair comparison for obvious reasons, but that's fine, I'll roll with the dishonest argument as if it's valid and just say that maybe you should wait until you see things begin to turn around before assuming they will.

I know a lot of you guys are entirely faith based when it comes to your takes, but that's just not how I operate.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, you're so upset, it's hilarious.

I know it's personal for you, but you can't assume everyone else has your weird attachments and shortcomings.

Do yourself a favor and touch some grass any time you start to get worked up about a random saying something you don't agree with.

7. Ancient Moabite

This is a sports forum, get real, entertainment should never upset anyone, if so then that is a PERSONAL matter

Your opinion is personal unless you have someone else speaking for you

you are the one Stupid upset about Green being selected over your Mobley DPOY finalist

Now go look up the etymology of the word ''weird'', and then you will know why I Am ''weird''(control your fate)

Now go get with a female so she can give you some much needed stupid attention

8. Ancient Moabite

So now the same TS% that you judge players on is now faith based? Are you that upset to call a spade a spade?

How is posting valid numbers being dishonest? Are you drunk or just flat out trolling? C'mon kiddo

9. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

How is it unfair? Green has clearly been the better player in his first two years in comparison to Porter. Let's see where he is after his 4th year.

Mathloom, Arnel and Ancient Moabite like this.
  10. MystikArkitect

I think there were a few instances yesterday that were directed at Jalen. Udoka mentioning how positions won't be "handed out" anymore was definitely for all 3 of KPj, Jalen and Bari. Amen mentioning Christopher and Tate (?) specifically texting him as well.

These next two weeks will be interesting for sure. I'm guessing we're bringing in a PG, C and SF and letting KPj/Green compete for the SG spot.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Because you're comparing 2 seasons where a player was getting jerked in and out of the lineup with their role constantly changing to 2 full seasons where the red carpet was rolled out and that player got to do basically anything they wanted whenever they wanted.

Like I said though, it's fine, even if we just ignore context, it still doesn't work because you can't just assume a player will finally turn things around based on what other players did. There's some who turned things around when they finally got solid minutes, there's some who never do.

If Jalen comes out this season and is finally as good as some of you guys thought he was as a rookie, I'll be thrilled.....but I don't go on faith, I need to see that improvement. Jalen has always been a streaky rather than good shooter, so several times he's fooled people into thinking he's turning the corner simply because he had a random hot streak. I'll need to see some sustained quality play, if he does that, then I'll be on board.

12. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Man even Porter's 2nd and 3rd seasons weren't as good as Green. I'm glad you'll be "thrilled" when he meets most people's expectations and does blow up. Just like a lot of people will be thrilled if Porter grows up and and his mental game catches up to his God given skill. In a perfect world, they'll both come to fruition.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Couple of things though, who set KPJ as the benchmark? He didn't exactly have a great start to his career....Saying that he had a better TS% than KPJ early in his career means basically nothing because of how KPJ's career started out. You could just say Jalen Green started out bad as well despite having every advantage in the world.

Another thing is we're just talking shooting efficiency. One of the biggest problems I have with Jalen Green is not just his poor shooting efficiency, but that he's terrible at essentially every aspect of the game. If he finally gets the shooting part down, that'll be great, but it won't make him a great player, it'll just be the first step becoming a decent one way off ball SG.

I would be happy if Jalen Green massively improved every aspect of his game and was as good next season as KPJ was this season....but that's probably asking for too much in just one offseason...and even if he did, it just means he'd finally be as good as KPJ.....that's not really that much of an accomplishment especially when you consider who some of his more loyal worshippers try to compare him to now.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I welcome the competition from KPJ, but that competition would be very very short. Udoka is going to go with the guy who gets to the line a lot and never stops running on either side of the ball even if he's not a good off ball player. You can't fake infinite motivation, some have it and others don't. That's not KPJ's fault, he's just up against a supremely talented and athletic guard who's more hungry than him and has an elite first step relative to the rest of the NBA. KPJ's only really good skill is off ball shooting. The other great skills he has is handling the ball but he has no idea how to use his handle as a weapon, so that's pretty much useless. He can be a good defender, but if you look at good defenders they are not people that need to be motivated to do it repeatedly. They just do it because they believe they should for 10-15 years in a row if they have to.

The comment to me seemed directed at KPJ specifically. KPJ was given the starting PG spot for no reason other than tanking, we were going to bench Sengun for him, we let him have autonomy on offense, he gave up on plays more than any other player on the roster and he was held less accountable than everyone else for it. No one had a longer leash than KPJ, it would be disingenuous to argue otherwise.

I think it can apply to Jabari as well because we let him play through his confidence issues. I can't see that happening under Udoka. Nix too but I doubt he will be on our roster to start the season.

If we bring in a veteran PG, KPJ will be fighting for backup PG/SG minutes. If we strike out in FA a lot, I can see both KPJ and Amen starting where Amen runs the offense but guards the opponent SF while KPJ guards the opponent's best guard and waits to get kick outs from Amen/Green/Sengun.

I do think that no matter what happens overall, KPJ will have at least a good training camp and 2-3 months. He's capable of motivating himself for short bursts especially at the beginning of a season. Good luck to him.

#214 Mathloom, Jun 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
    MystikArkitect likes this.
  15. MystikArkitect

Not sure what God given skills Porter has outside of having fringe starter level athleticism, above average catch and shoot ability, good to great mid range game, extremely poor vision, and extremely poor game feel. Christian Wood probably had better God given skills than KPj and got shipped out. I'm guessing that Udoka envisions him as his "Marcus Smart". The difference is that Marcus understood he was Marcus Smart. Not sure KPj will do the same.

He should be starting over Green only if Green shows the same defensive ineptitude he showed last year AND if KPj can accept his Marcus Smart role. Basically whichever of the two shows the ability to be self aware should be starting.

Da Man likes this.
  16. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Flipping the script. All metrics were included. He was better than Porter in every way his first two seasons. Yet you bash him and lift up your boy. The dude who puts himself above the team time and time again. Let Green get to where he's going. Just like you did for....

Maybe both are completely different under Udoka.

17. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

If he didn't have issues between the ears, he could be really good. Whether it's athleticism, shooting or handling he's got a nice package. He just makes really bad decisions time and time again and his attitude at times on the court and supposedly in practice is a major issue. Said before, reason I was high on Udoka was he seemed the only candidate that might get through to the young group. ESPECIALLY Porter. We'll see.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Who is better now is all that matters, when you have a meritocracy conversation.....who can help you win RIGHT NOW .....if it comes down to Green and Porter it will be a dog fight the ages are close about 18 months apart so you get about a decade of run if you believe in either of them, and if Porter maintains his edge and is cheaper, he might just win.

Will be fun to see.

DD

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Green's ceiling is 25+ ppg which is a ceiling KPJ can only dream of especially now that he's being moved off ball and can't feed himself whatever shot he wants. In order for him to beat Green out of the starting lineup, he will have to be WAAAAAAY better defensively. That's highly unlikely to happen.

20. PatBev

PatBev Member

I wonder how Green would do if his first season was cut short because of Covid. Then I wonder how he would do bouncing between gleague, bench, and starter minutes

Then I wonder how Jalen would do if we told him to go play point guard with a team full of scrubs and top draft prospects who can’t shoot or make basic layups

DaDakota likes this.