1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green Needs to be Benched

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wizkid83, Jan 25, 2022.

1. bmelo

bmelo Member

haha of course - Jabari Smith jr I meant

J.R. likes this.
  2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This is a big part of it. Both KPJ and Wood also want to have the ball and the combination of KPJ, Wood, and Green make for a poor shooting, ball dominant trio with not a whole lot of ball movement or defense. The easy solution is to relegate at least one of them to the 2nd unit, but if we do that we either hurt their trade value (Wood) or potentially slow their development (KPJ / Green). It's a tough situation to be in honestly speaking.

Personally, I would bench Green for a bit at this point and let him rebuild his confidence. This isn't because I think KPJ is better or more valuable (both have flaws), but simply because there is greater urgency to find out NOW if KPJ can become a future PG for us. Benching Wood is a non-starter for us. It's not even worth discussing.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Kobe was also in the league at 17. Kobe wasnt KOBE until he was 20. He would have some awesome dunks here and there before then and get everyone hyped up, but he did not immediately come out impacting outcomes so why hold Jalen Green to that standard? Because Jalen said he wanted to be as good or better? Does it really affect you that much that one of the Rockets youngest guys, drafted high would have those aspirations? And are you really going to be dense enough to not be able to find SOME similarities in output from both of those guys AT THAT AGE? Kobe also joined a winning team and wasnt tasked with changing the trajectory of the franchise -- only to pick up the torch and he did that splendidly.

If Jalen is sucking this bad next year you guys go ahead and throw a party - I"ll bring the punch.

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  4. NewAge

NewAge Member

No, you should read the exchange before butting-in unprepared.
    It's actually not at all about who is good and who is bad, that's a whole nother matter.
    It all started with me pointing out that Kobe was never... shall we say "delicate", even as a 19 yo. (In fact not even as 13-14 yo). To which Verbal splashed his breathtakingly ignorant post. Just read the exchange to get oriented.

5. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

The experiment this year was to have KPJ & Jalen coexist with each other. I think it will be better after the trade deadline once we make some moves. It also doesn't make it better when Wood doesn't know how to set a real screen for Jalen and wants the ball back after. I'm not a fan of Jalen standing on a corner and making him a spot up shooter.
    I feel like making him come off the bench will make him lose his confidence. We don't utilize Jalen the correct way. So far this season it's been all about KPJ & Wood development.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You said Kobe was a nobody at 19. He wasn't.

I hope Jalen does well, but he's very bad right now.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again, you need to just drop this comparison entirely, Kobe was likely better than Jalen Green is now when he was 15.

Kobe was NEVER quite literally the worst player to get consistent minutes in the entire league.....and like you said, he was in the league at 17.

According to at least a few metrics, Jalen Green currently is the worst player to receive consistent minutes in the entire league.....and he's almost 20.

If you never mention Kobe ever again in relation to Jalen Green, you'll be doing him a favor.

persian hoopa, hakeem94 and CXbby like this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

What was he? Dunk champion and 2nd Team all rookie? Great! There's still some hope for Jalen. :rolleyes:

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Play time should be determined by practice and work ethic more than in game performance — for rookies on a developing team. #1 pick okay guaranteed starter but I think everyone else should earn it. It makes them work harder. But I think Jalen has the work ethic. He is just more raw than we thought.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You keep shooting yourself in the foot with this and I'm embarrassed for you.

At 19 Kobe was an all star starter averaging 21 points per 36 minutes (on trash efficiency, but Kobe was literally never an efficient scorer) who was a plus defensive player in addition to being an offensive force that was difficult to stop.

Jalen Green at 19 is literally the worst palyer in the NBA to receive regular playing time this season by several metrics.

The comparison is absolutely stupid, it always was.

hakeem94 and CXbby like this.
  11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

1 - Green does a poor job of protecting the ball when he goes to the lane. He needs to watch some Harden tape and figure out how to use those skinny ass arms to protect the rock.
    2 - Green's confidence is down, directly impacts his shooting.
    3 - Green's defense needs a lot of work.

If he wasn't the #2 pick he would probably be a candidate for the G-League. We saw what it did for Scoot and KMJ last year, and it was great for JC this year. He needs to work on his game and although it may not be how you treat draft royalty, it may be best for him and team. Another alternative would be to let him come off the bench and see what that would do. Of course, we can keep starting him and see if he can work his way through this slump. What was that definition of insanity again?

wizkid83 likes this.
  12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

He was awful and calling him a clear bust. Edwards problem at the time was he was athletic but didn't know how to play basketball. Somehow he figured it out and that's what I thought Green was doing when he came back from the hamstring, but this recent bad stretch has changed that again.

It's weird how he just went from being pretty good to being straight awful again.

apollo33 and hakeem94 like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i would have sent both him and sengun to g league they are both raw as hell and they can even learn to play off of each other and build the chemistry....also they can both take turns at being primary playmaker down the valley...cause all this good stuff is an impossible task on this team here but will go long ways improving us longterm

Shark44 likes this.
  14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think it's Green's 3 point shooting. He was shooting really hot after the hamstring with better form and everything. and then he started missing more and more, and with that his drives became more forced.

The thing is Green only has two modes on offense, shoot a 3, or blow by drive, literally no in between. When his 3 pointer falls, he somehow gains confidence on drives. When his 3 pointer bricks, he doesn't know what to do with himself but force drives over and over again.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

what kind of development are we talking here when your alleged best player doesnt even know how to set up a proper screen? lolololl

this single thing tells me the entire franchise is messed up starting from the coaching stuff, that didnt taught almost nobody to shoot 3 pointers for the last 10 years and we were alleged 3pt revolutionaries...

i remember an interview with a legendary european coach, i think his name was Maljkovic, and he said something to the tune of one thing that stands out the most about me is, I am literally always honest with my players and I always, regardless of the situation we are in, tell them on the spot what I dont like about them...whether they like it or not and what they need to correct.... I always call them out on the spot and I dont beat around the bush....

with a real coach, the shitty screens would have survived no longer than until the first timeout

not sure what the wood suspension was about, honestly didnt even wanted to read nothing about it and have been avoiding it, but i bet you any money it was some superficial inconsequential bs.....

if this org meant business, long before that, wood should have been suspended forever until he does the screens right...this is the fundamentals and this is dedication to details that gets the stuff done and brings in the wins...if you let that one slip you are done with winning long before you even started... you never gonna do the things right...and will always be a dolar short and a minute late...

#175 hakeem94, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    clutchdabear and ThatboyPhuong like this.
  16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

You know, it could be interesting to send them down for a couple of weeks until the trade deadline. Gives them both starter minutes working with Nix at PG and Queen at SF, that would be fun G-League games to watch. After trades made, let them come back up and hopefully ball out.

#176 Shark44, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    hakeem94 likes this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i saw him do a promising floater couple of times and a nice midranger... but he prolly needs tons of repetitions on these....he can also make the right pass... so, a hard work is a formula for him....

apollo33 likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hahahah more people would be watching the vipers and the games would be fun!

Shark44 likes this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lololol it was a freudian slip, your subsconcious knows tanking is a bust destined tactic
    @J.R.
    [​IMG]

J.R. likes this.
  20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The thing is if you only have two modes, you have to be REALLY good at those two in order to be an elite scorer. If he can hit mid range shots, he needs to shoot them. Any in between game is critical for him to develop. If he doesn’t develop it, then yeah he could be a bust.