1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green max extension : 5 yrs - 260 MILLION !

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rolliepollie, Nov 20, 2023.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I swear, guys like @Downtown Sniper are miserable after wins. What a sad existence.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Elvin was already a star when we traded him. Averaged 28+ ppg as a rook, and his best seasons were during his first stint with the Rox.

3. OpportunityCost

ABSOLUTELY NOT!! He still struggles to get past defenders, isn't a great three-point shooter and isn't great on defense, but boy can he dunk the basketball, lol - too bad that doesn't impact winning. Should've drafted Scottie Barnes (ROY) or Evan Mobley. My hope at this point is that Ime can turn glitter into gold and help him develop into a great player.

4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Have YOU looked at the numbers?

Green hasnt had a season yet close to what Haliburton did as a rookie.

#104 xtruroyaltyx, Nov 23, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2023
    Jontro likes this.
  5. VoR

VoR Member

Yes we max extend him. He's as good as Maxey. Who else are we going to get in 2025?? There's an argument that Cam Whitmore takes over the position by 2025, but that is unlikely, imo. Let's see how he plays over the next two seasons before we get all worked up about it. The simple truth of the matter is that the upcoming FA classes are VERY thin and VERY old.

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

7. OpportunityCost

Let him go do ISO somewhere else, and Rafael can go too.

Jontro likes this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Oh that is GREAT, thank you....so he is a RFA after next year - ok ok, so we have 2 years then, that helps a lot.

I thought if we didn't exercise this year it was RFA and if we waited to next year he would be an UFA........this makes a HUGE difference for me........give him time to sort it out, we have 2 years.

Big thanks.

DD

Hemingway and Jontro like this.
  9. kubli9

kubli9 Member
    Supporting Member

Next time don’t go spouting off that other people don’t know asset management when you don’t understand a basic rookie contract.

Pistol Pete, Dobbizzle, Reeko and 3 others like this.
  10. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Scoot is also looking pretty horrendous so far, i think people may begin to start drawing conclusions about the G League players not being developed at the same level.

VoR likes this.
  11. Lloyd Estacio

Lloyd Estacio Member

Jalen Green for Lamelo

Jontro likes this.
  12. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Member
    Supporting Member

Good thing you and others didn't go on an unnecessary biased rant..... Oh wait....

Dobbizzle and Jontro like this.
  13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Frank is always pretty fair and level headed

I think he has some realistic expectations of Jalen...may be a bit too lofty, but we will see what the scrub does.

Jontro and wlekfjv923n like this.
  14. invocux

invocux Member

This league is belong to the guards. High volume inefficient shooting guards with bad defense are the last players you should build around. You can never win anything with them it's impossible in 21st century. Your team becomes their playing ground. They are the parasites and your team becomes their host. You find yourself cheering for their 30-40pts games while you are 15-20 itl. Don't listen to the stans or the unfunny we should give him max just to piss x fans off r****ds this is the only thing you need to hear. Unless this kid becomes a consistent efficient shooting guard with respectable 3pt shooting giving him max would be a major mistake.

15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Guys

Even in a pass and cut system/offensive you are going to have players that take the majority of the shots or ISO more than others within that offense.

Steph in GS and Murray in Denver. My only issue with Jalen has been his streakyness, if thats a word, and the fact that I think he shy away too much in crunch time or he differs too much!
    You never see Steph and Murray do that.

I think HE or Jabari has to be that player for the Rockets to take the next step. They can get their shots off at any position on the court.

Dobbizzle and Jontro like this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. Good post.

17. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Yeah, I am not going to do that because I have a real job.

Anyway, the point is, TH was traded way too soon, and now the Kings look dumb.

Also, yes TH is shoot better from three than JG4 (although not by that much). However, JG4 has a way better first step, is more athletic, and is a much better defender than TH. I saw TH "play" D, and trust me, his D is as bad as Steph's.

One of the biggest complaints about JG4 is that he is not as aggressive enough; I blame a lot of that on FVV, who tends to handle the ball and throw up shots. The best thing that happened to TH was getting away from Fox. Fox "hogged" the ball (not being negative, just saying he got way more touches) and thus TH could not hit his full potential. The Kings wanted TH to be the Klay Thompson to Fox's Steph, when in fact TH is a way better ball handler than Thompson will ever be, and a way better passer than even Steph.

I am not keeping FVV over JG4 for anything, unless we believe that Amen Thompson will learn to shoot someday. However, Sam Mitchell made a comment on NBA radio that really stood out to me: he asked his co-host to name one player in the past 25 years who came into the league that could not shoot, who became a good shooter? The guy could not name one. He threw out Jason Kidd, but even though he improved, he only shot 33 percent from three in his prime. IOW, if Amen Thompson becomes a great shooter, he would be one of the first. Likely at his best he will be a DeMar DeRozan or Dwayne Wade type player, which means a lot of drives to the basket.

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Here you go mr hardworker:

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/sabonis-to-sac-for-haliburton.314723/

That took all of 15 seconds which im sure was a lot quicker than it took for you to write that post.

You acting like trading Haliburton too soon is some sort of insightful revelation and trying to compare it to giving up on Green too early is just silly.

Green has never been on that type of trajectory as an NBA player. If we get Zach Lavine out of Jalen we should consider that a win.

And the weird thing is that you were one of the first posts in that thread asking what was the Sac GM thinking when he made the trade. Even YOU knew at the time that wasnt a good trade for the Kings.

19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

20. invocux

invocux Member

Great game again he was pretty much flawless except for those couple dumb turnovers.