1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green is the Rockets' Franchise Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Aug 10, 2023.

1. NewAge

NewAge Member

it’s for four years, $40M, actually. his 4th year option was picked-up, which is the one I question. Drafting and paying rookie-scale money for 2-3 years, I don’t have problem with that. Elite speed, burst, hops coupled with decent ball skills and a clean rap sheet, I’d not second-guess that. That 4th year looks a bit dicey now, as it takes us out of the FA agent market this summer.

2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Even when his one good game rolls around every couple of weeks, they still don't impress me.

There are just far too many holes in his game.

If you're year three in the NBA (and a year of being in an apparent professional environment before that), and you still have that many weaknesses... I'm no NBA historian whizz but I can assume there's not too many players who've gone from that many weaknesses to transforming into a franchise player - heck - even a really good NBA player - from their fourth year onwards.

3. OnlyRockets

OnlyRockets Member

One good game is in which he singlehandedly dominated against Grizzlies... Let's not underestimate and insult our main franchise piece...

Carpe82 likes this.
  4. Entropy

Entropy Member

It can't be that hard for Green to make backdoor cuts, play pick and roll with Sengun, and shoot 3's curling off screens. Those are the fundamentals he needs to work on. If he can't do those three at a consistently high level, this freelancing **** is unacceptable.

5. MystikArkitect

I'm tired of splitting hairs with Jalen. Looking up comparables like Booker and Edwards. I'm old school. I look at a player and can lump him into one of two categories: serious or unserious.

And that's pretty much where I'm at with Jalen. We have 4 serious players in our starting lineup. Whatever Ime wants to do I'm cool with. He sees him more than I do. But this team needs a consistent SG in the worst way. We can't score at times.

6. invocux

invocux Member

If we give him the ball and he takes up 20 shots a game we will look even worse. You can NEVER build around a inefficient, inconsistent, low bbiq shooters. If you think Jalen is the cornerstone of this franchise just think about these dudes Poole, Rozier, Oubre, Clarkson, Dinwiddie, Dion Waiters, Tim Hardaway none of these dudes are/were efficient scorers. Nobody respects them. Giving the key of your franchise to Jalen is equivalent of selling your baby in black market to get some crack cocaine. If we are planning to shape our entire team for the sake of Jalen i'm telling you right now we are ****ed. If that's on their mind i advise you to stop watching games right now because it will be for nothing. Just spend your time doing something more productive. Learn Kotlin, go fishing with your kid, kill ants with magnifying glass in the woods just do anything but avoid watching that abomination of a team. If we give him the max i might consider killing myself. 3 years of rebuild, countless of sleepless night just to watch this little r****d chuck shots at the end?

7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

It's hard not to overreact after last night. It was one of the worst games I've ever seen Jalen play. Falling asleep on defense. Making horrendous passes. His play was unacceptable.

NBA just looks too physical for him and refs won't give him the calls austin reaves gets so he seems to shy away from contact more this year and go to line less which is really hurting his game.

8. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I know you’re being hyperbolic but considering killing yourself because of a stupid game would be really sad…hopefully we’ll keep winning and nobody will ever feel like self-harm because of the Rockets (unless they’re other teams’ fans, of course :p)

9. OpportunityCost

The Rockets need more players that can shoot the ball better.

Little Bit likes this.
  10. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Jalen still makes the game so hard on his self. He’s the only player I know that can make a pull up middy look extremely difficult. I wish the kid went to college to learn the basics of the game.

11. OpportunityCost

Our braintrust was duped, bamboozled and hoodwinked. All of that money down the drain.

#1451 OpportunityCost, Dec 3, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Has he ever done a eurostep?

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I have seen him try it once, but it wasn't a full commit.

DD

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We have to remember that "fast break" opportunities start on the defensive end of the floor and more often than not they begin with a player gambling on defense resulting in a turnover.
    This team has so far been playing fundamentally sound, positional defense rather than gambling in passing lanes.

That probably explains the lack of fast break opportunities.

HardenReturns and BigMaloe like this.
  15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I’m just talking when they run the break it looks disjointed and not the same intensity as the last couple years. They play much more conservative on the break but also the personnel has changed. Past few years Silas’ philosophy was to run and guys like KPJ Green and KMJ blew by teams getting lobs and dunks. It’s both a philosophy and personnel shift.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Welcome to the dark side .....

17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Have you even looked deep into the numbers between those players relative to Green’s? I have. And they are very similar.

MystikArkitect, Carpe82 and roslolian like this.
  18. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

What are his weaknesses or “many holes” in your opinion?

Mind you This new offense hasn’t utilized him the same way as in previous years as it’s focused on a 2 man PNR game with FVV or Sengun low and mid post.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Have you watched the games? The Rockets primarily utilize FVV and Sengun for high PNR. Sengun gets a lot of touches in the low and mid post as well. Green is getting less touches this year not to mention less minutes. When Sengun can't post or when the 2 man game doesn't work is where this team has trouble. Brooks isn't a great dribble drive guy and neither is Jabari who's spot is the elbows or low post relying on pullups.

Green has had a lot of success in the 2 man game with Sengun but isn't getting the touches he used to get. Last year he avg 65.9 touches a game. This year 60.2 and ranks 61st in touches compared to FVV ranked 11 at 82.9 a game. Udoka has to put the ball more in Jalen’s hands and give him more opportunities to make plays instead of relying on FVV so much. The top guards in the league are within the top 15 in touches. Whether its iso, 5 out, PNR or coming off curls Give the man the damn ball.

Carpe82 likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, his strengths are general athleticism and his ability to use his quickness in order to attack defenses that are not set and either get an open look at the rim or just run into people and flail around hoping to get bailed out by a whistle.

His weaknesses are every other aspect of basketball.