1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green is the Rockets' Franchise Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Aug 10, 2023.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I commend people who hate Jalen Green to stick to their guns even after a single good game. You are right. It's only a single le good game. He needs to play consistent for a 2 week stretch

But I'm certain of he played like this for 6 games in a row and then had a bad game they'd give the same curiosity

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

Jalen Green isn't the ball handler that prime Harden was where he could dominate the ball and be that efficient still.

What they need to do is spam a bunch of dhos with Green and Sengun with some pnr sprinkled in.

Also when possible if Green gets a clear out with the floor spaced at the wing spot where he just has to beat one defender to the rim, he's ulta dangerous at that situation as he almost always blows by his defender in that position(see him blow by Paul George for a baseline dunk for example)

#962 fchowd0311, Nov 23, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2023
    BigMaloe, Boii, NewAge and 2 others like this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Spamming Jalen…ugh. Yet another post about how others can fix Jalen.

First off, we are already giving Jalen enough action with Sengun. If he produces, go at it more, for that game.​

B) Jalen can get to that elbow J or his favorite baseline J anytime he wants. He just needs to hit it. Developing a got-to shot is all on Jalen. No one else. ​

iii. more help from Sengun would help anyone. but does it help Sengun and the rest of the Rockets. It’s something to consider each game.​

We aren’t developing just Jalen, anymore. This is about Sengun, now, and playing to win.

The days of Silas spamming Jalen and KPj is over. It doesn’t help.

BigMaloe, Easy, Tankeio and 3 others like this.
  4. fchowd0311

I think the Green and Sengun dho is effective?

Not because do want to fix Green. Its what works with Green.

I don't know why a Sengun fan wouldn't want it also because Green is very willing to get Sengun good looks going to the rim also from them.

BigMaloe, clos4life and glimmertwins like this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Our boys seem to be close.

clos4life likes this.
  6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I would just like to see a few games in a row where he shoots the ball well.

The future is a fickle thing, so wont make any prediction, but if what FVV said to him at halftime turned his game around, then he may be closer than many think to finding his game.

Tankeio likes this.
  7. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I really liked Jalen’s interview after the Memphis game, instead of being super high on himself he was quick to point out stuff he could’ve done better and seemed quite honest when being asked about his game. Being self-aware is really important when trying to improve, and for all the talk about Jalen mumbling, he seems like a pretty smart and good kid if you can understand what he’s saying

BigMaloe, Believe It!, Boii and 3 others like this.
  8. invocux

invocux Member

Unless he has a good, efficient month he's not a cornerstone. Yesterday he had a good game but even the nights he plays good bb he looks like the worst player ever for a quarter or two. His inconsistency is honestly jaw dropping. I can't ride with a dude with broken jumpshot who shows up in every 4 games and he he needs to do sth about his jumper. Weird thing is his jumper looks a little smoother this season. His release point is higher he doesn't shoot from his chest anymore but he is still terrible from 3pt line so i don't know what the problem is. I thought it was related to the release point.

If Jalen needs be the #1 option 1) He needs to get much better from 3pt line and 2) He really needs to bulk. I don't want him to look like Desmond Bane but Kobe build would be perfect. Kobe wasn't muscular but he could absorbe the contact and finish.

Tankeio likes this.
  9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Just when you've about given up on the kid, he reminds you what he's capable of. I sure would love to see more of this Jalen.

FLASH21, Rocketeer, clos4life and 2 others like this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

imo, that’s called developing a go-to shot.

It’s there for the taking. We see where he can always get a look. I think he can do it. We need it.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

We certainly do, especially last night.

I keep saying, its all mental for him. Get the gray matter right and who knows what kind of player he can become.

glimmertwins likes this.
  12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I thought that last year he had kind of made the adjustment to wear his jumpshot release point was a little bit higher.

somebody, correct me if I’m wrong on this. It almost seems like he has gone back to his lower release point. Maybe this is intentional?

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

All these theories about how to fix Green are fine. At the end of the day, what he needs to do is hitting his shots consistently. That's the only way he can turn from a chucker to a star. As @heypartner said, he can get his shots off any time anywhere. He just needs to hit them. No scheme can help him. I think the coach is giving him the green light to take any shot he wants. Not sure how it will be later if he continues to struggle with consistency.

And if he can do other things well, such as defense and passing, he can be a franchise player.

NewAge, Rocketeer and apollo33 like this.
  14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Come on man - look at the lineups Alpi plays with - his ascension this year is a direct result of Udoka pairing him with several above average wing defenders at all times and careful execution of dynamic switching schemes designed to take Alpi off wing players. Not to mention how FVV’s minutes overlap almost exactly with Alpi’s so he had a PnR partner who can get him the ball working from an advantage position in the short roll.

That’s what good coaching is - finding the ways you can maximize the talents of the players on your roster by taking advantage of what they are good at and finding ways to hide their weaknesses. It’s not about defining who is the franchise player and ONLY doing what is in their best interests. Jalen is learning to be an off ball player in Ime’s system because he isn’t the same savant as a Harden with tight handles and the ability to manipulate defenses. It’s taking some adjustments but Jalen will figure it out and meanwhile Udoka needs to keep looking for opportunities to feed Jalen too because ultimately the gravity he can bring as a shooter and cutter ALSO opens up the floor for the passers like Alpi, Fred, and Amen.

#974 glimmertwins, Nov 23, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2023
    Bo6, Air Canada, BigMaloe and 3 others like this.
  15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Yeah, I remember similar. His shot does seem a bit more flat this year but he has made several changes to his shot since being a rookie. Watch those first 25 games of his rookie season and it’s clear he has changed his game a lot.

apollo33 likes this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sengunians gonna LOVE you . . . :D

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I wouldn’t mind seeing a little Spain action with Jalen, FVV, and Alpi.

AroundTheWorld and clos4life like this.
  18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

…it’s the same thing Denver does with Jokic. Watch how Jokic got hung out on faster guards earlier in his career just like Alpi and watch him now - he almost never gets hung out in ISOs anymore and the team defense principles don’t rely on Jokic being the only rim protector rotation guy as “the big”.

19. clos4life

clos4life Member

Great post! Just like the Alpi haters were proven hilariously wrong when a coaching scheme set him up for success the same will happen with Jalen. We need that explosive scoring guard that can suddenly increase the lead from 10 to 20 in 3 possessions and put the game out of reach for the other team. Jalen will be that dude.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Nothing wrong at all with what he said. Ime is doing a great job.

clos4life likes this.