1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green is the Rockets' Franchise Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Aug 10, 2023.

1. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Nobody forgot that. Sengun was a successful pro before he even got here and was asking Silas for more. We had 3 other rookies in that class that weren't established (Green, Christopher, and Garuba) and all 3 are struggling in their careers.

I don't know if Green will ever improve but almost everything we've heard about the environment over the last two years has been bad. Maybe Green just sucks but it's hard to tell when there is no indication that he was held accountable for the first two years of his career.

DatRocketFan likes this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This sounds like you’re hoping other people can fix Jalen.

Nah, man.

Coach is giving Jalen plenty of PnR reps, considering we’re trying to win. All the improvement is on Jalen. He must make buckets. He needs a go-to shot, better finishing, and tighter handles. Added strength will help that finishing, but nonetheless, that improvement is on him.

consider this: with just one more make than miss, he’d be shooting 47% and a 20+ppg player. And that extra make is doable, but it comes from Jalen. Our offensive focus is on maximizing improvement of Sengun now. Jalen lost his role in that regard. He just needs to knock down that extra shot. No excuses.​

As for removing FVV from Sengun lineups, and having him run the second unit rather than Jalen, I’ll leave you with this:

[​IMG]

Amiga likes this.
  3. invocux

invocux Member

If Stone is considering a trade as egregious as this he needs to be publicly executed today before the game.

4. i3artow i3aller

Very interested to see how JG responds today.

[​IMG]

Ubiquitin, DreamShook and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He’s due for a breakout game. All these head fakes are dazzling. It’s still early to give up on him.

(From a guy who didn’t want him as the #2 pick).

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. corrado

corrado Member

I think some of the blame for Jalen struggles has to be on Ime. He is just not using him right. Jalen efficiency is worse than when he was playing out of control and with KPJ as his point guard. And is less efficient on less attempts, which is ridiculous.

A lot of time it seems like Jalen is used like in his first year when Silas just stuck him in a corner. It seems like both him and Jabari are often afterthought on offense. For example in 4 quarter against the Lakers.it almost seemed like Green is supposed to be a 3&D player which he is neither.

I hoped Ime will figure out a way to let Jalen loose and boost his confidence as last 3 games showed that we definitely need some variety on offense and I do not see other options, maybe Cam, but he seems to be at least a year away.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

like i said, Ime is developing Jalen. "plenty" of PnR is not what I'm saying. We wouldn't be saying trade Jalen if he was on the floor with Sengun as much as FVV. I said Ime wants Jalen to play by himself and not use Sengun as a crutch. He is building Denver south.

this is what happens when silas doesn't want to develop young players Jalen has to develop at warp speed and now yall hate him

shoutout yo chop shop graphics

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Ubiquitin likes this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This isn’t about Jalen, anymore. This is about Sengun.

Like I said, you seem to expect other ppl to fix Jalen: “he just needs to be on the court more with Sengun, instead of FVV.”

no, Jalen just needs to make buckets. The improvement is on him, not a system, a coach, or another player.

enuf with the excuses, man. Come on.

Ubiquitin, Denovo, Plowman and 2 others like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Great developing Jalen when Fred is the one playing 41 minutes per game executing the PnR with Alperen.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

yes Jalen make buckets and he will. I dont expect other people to fix Jalen. You guys expect Jalen to rise above 2 years of bad coaching.. He is clearly not good enough to do that. look at how Cade is struggling in DET. Jalen has to go back to basics.

Ime is doing the same thing for Jalen he is doing for Tatum. That wasn't a night and day change either.

Ime has a tough job: he has to develop young talent AND win.

Ime is a good coach. im thankful.

12. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't agree that he has below average handles. His biggest below average right now is his decision making and court vision but I still have some faith that Ime can help him improve in this area.

robbie380 likes this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

CF 2022: "Silas is godawful. No development and no discipline! He's holding everyone back! These guys aren't learning to play the right way!"

*Ime Udoka steps in with development and discipline.*

CF 2023, after a dozen games: "Jalen is a horrible player. He has no discipline and will never develop! We should trade him immediately, before everyone else realizes how bad he is!!!"

14. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd like to see more of this too as they've had some nice plays in the PnR this season. I also noticed after these past 3 games that they have a lot to work on still, Jalen in particular. Jalen needs to see the other options on the floor when teams defend the PnR well. He too often gets tunnel vision and ends up driving into multiple defenders or will pull back and take a bad 3 pt attempt. At the very least, he needs to find a way to put the ball back into Alpi's hands when all else fails.

i3artow i3aller and DreamShook like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

One day Green will be able to call Player Only Meetings.....

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Would be classic Jalen Green to "respond" with a quality game against the Grizzlies G-League Roster after 3 consecutive duds against actual quality opponents.

17. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

His play so far has been very strange. He looks a step slow, and weaker than usual. He couldn't get by a 38yr old CP3 last night, which shocked me. His shots are allways short, he's missing the lift in his legs. He probably needs to adjust to spending so much energy on D for the first time in his life.

He gets plenty of opportunities on O, but he doesn't capitalize on them. It's like he forgot how to score. He had a pretty reliable mid range J last year, but this year he can't hit anything. His drives are also weaker than they were at the end of last season, with him getting stuffed repeteadly at the rim. Maybe that Isaac block really shook his confidence and he's scared. And he's weirdly become inconsistent at the line. And for a guy that gets to the rim as much as he does, it's a problem when you don't know if he's going to go 9/10 or 1/10.

I understand that there is going to be an adjusting period and that things won't look good early, but he's just playing badly right now. The only game he looked like he's supposed to be looking was the Lakers game.

Hopefully he snaps out of whatever issues he's having, and soon.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

NOt sure how this is defined, and not that I care that much either way - but isn't 58 possessions basically about 25 minutes total? In a world where 5-man lineups supposedly need 500+ minutes to be statistically trustworthy, even the 389 possessions seems like it's too small to really conclude much about (other than that the Rockets were a bad team last year)

19. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Is it a good time to mention he compares similarly to year 3 McGrady...?

i3artow i3aller and keeez like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hahaha.....do eet!