1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green is the Rockets' Franchise Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Aug 10, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Better be the Franchise Compass.

2. PatBev

PatBev Member

I think Amen might steal that title

I don’t see much drive from Jalen and that’s my biggest complaint about him
    The fact that he doesn’t look like he couldn’t care less about all the losing the past two seasons

I think it’s just his body language and personality to me

NewAge and HP3 like this.
  3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Hard to care about winning when the GM is trying to squash that idea.

I'm sure the entire team knew what was going on the last few years. The FO didn't have to spell it out for them.

34to11 and Ancient Moabite like this.
  4. PatBev

PatBev Member

Amen in one preseason game showed me more leadership and franchise player vibe than Jalen has given me in two years

I just don’t get the mamba vibe from Jalen. I actually don’t mind the painting of fingernails. I’m not saying he’s not a franchise type player just not a championship level franchise player. I see that more in Amen, Jabari, and Sengun

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Vague platitudes seems like the only way people convey these type of narratives. So why do you think Green doesn't have the "mamba mentality"?

What is the "mamba mentality" I guess is a good starting place.

34to11, cmlmel77 and topfive like this.
  6. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Dillon Brooks has Mamba Mentality, he'll jack up 17 step back fade-away turnaround mid range shots a game and he won't let some beta male coach or a nerd who's never won a ring compared to Kobe's 5 tell him that those shots are bad.

Jalen Green will simply assume the Josh Cristopher Wedding Night position if a teammate takes the ball away.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Tari Eason is the Rockets franchise player confirmed.

9. the shark

the shark Member

Who gives a $h!t.

It's only words. He may raise his game but can he develop into a player that can help lead the Rockets to a title? Only time will tell. Talent and accolades can only take you so far.

10. prs325

prs325 Member

Let’s see who blossoms under Ime and we can have a discussion whether Jalen is truly the franchise
    For now it’s still premature

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Exactly bro!

Just waiting for nail polish remover to go on sale, then he can get to Corey Brewer’s level.

Words!

12. kpdark

kpdark Member

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The Rockets two best players last season were Alpi and Tari, by a mile. This year, Alpi, Tari and FVV, until and unless Jabari and Jalen improve at a faster rate than these two (I expect Jalen and Jabari to make big leaps, but I expect the same from Alpi and Tari - am incredibly bullish on this team, under Ime). Amen super promising, but still an unknown.

14. 34to11

34to11 Member

Outside of VanVleet there isn't a player on the roster who has worked harder to get where he is than Jalen Green.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I know better but I'm going to do it anyway.

You could tell guys like Kobe & MJ absolutely hated to lose (You could throw Mad Max into this conversation too).

They'd do all they could to drag their teams across the finish line be that scoring or getting after it on defense, often taking on the most difficult matchup, particularly after a teammate got torched a few times by said player.

Closest thing to that in the league today Is Jimmy Buckets. Dude led that 8 seed to a finals appearance, that was pretty damn special.

You don't really see that out of Green .... These dudes would be laughing, cutting up and dancing around down by 20 & dudes were trash talking them.

NewAge and AroundTheWorld like this.
  16. Ancient Moabite

I really wish Kobe would have had that same mentality and went with the team that wanted to draft him, which I think were between the Hornets/Nets and not swindle his way to a already 50 win team who also picked up prime Shaq that same off-season

Jordan hated to lose but that didn't keep him from winning a total of one game his first 3 playoff series

Butler bounced around teams and finally found his perfect home and indeed his run with Heat has been special, especially since he had to work and grind OT to get to his current star status but he was always a dog that would get after it

For a team that was blatantly tanking by Owner/GM orders it was either keep ya head up and smile thru it all or blow up and start going Sprewell on Silas/Assistants and be on short leash of being exiled from the league

Green may not be on that level mentally but I would have preferred he showcased that fire on a more consistent basis like he did at times like against the Suns/Hawks where he was trash talking and showing effort on defensive side

But everybody is built diff, so maybe he starts creating beef pregame with opponent so he can play more consistently with that edge and fire, Jordan was a master at that and since Kobe literally copied everything from Jordan he came across like that as well

Brooks may help with that, we shall see

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Green, KPJ, JC, mostly.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So you wanted Green clinically depressed?

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Such an expert on clinical diagnoses.

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Where is head honcho?