1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green has played 20 games so far, here is a look at his first 10 games vs. his last 10 games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by flamingdts, Dec 29, 2021.

1. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Never said he doesn't prefer 3pt shooting over 2pt shots. But there are people on this forum that kept saying like he doesn't drive at all which is false. Honestly don't even blame him for not driving in more when the refs refuse to call fouls when he drives in.

2. vator

vator Contributing Member

And his 2nd season when he was 21 years old he averaged 2.1 assists in almost 27 minutes per game. Just saying. I love Harden, but facts are facts.

Joe Rocket and TriumVirate like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I can live with it but people demanding he ought to drive more, are not wrong.

The refs are just one aspect, potential star players adjust, that is what they do, their job so to speak.

Obviously the organization displayed the patience that the player needs to develop.

#103 daywalker02, Dec 30, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  4. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

I love Harden too. People need to realize our rookies are VERY young. It takes time. Won't really know what kind of player we have until maybe end of their rookie contract

burlesk likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It was pretty obvious that OKC favored Durant and to an extent Westbrook over Harden's development.

To compare it to the Green situation where Green is the absolute top rookie target is not spot on.

Harden got better despite Durant and Westbrook being favored over him.

And I was a so called Harden critic or hater.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

What exactly is Harden doing in this video that a good highlight video of Jalen Green wont show? Hops and stand still corner threes and drive in dunks and layups.

7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Green is going to be just fine - just give him time to develop. People need to quit with the hot takes trying to base careers off of 15-20 games when the data from every other All Star in the league and most HOF level players backs up the idea that you can’t make those types of predictions at this stage. And once more Mobley is also a good player who walked into a better fit for his skills/weaknesses. Comparing one against the other is a fools errand because the context of what is on the roster these players joined and what each player is asked to do is ENTIRELY different. Mobley(and Barnes for that matter) don’t have to run the offense or the defense for their teams leaving them a lot more room to contribute what they can as a bonus to their teams vs as a necessity like Green.

This is just what growing young all stars looks like when you don’t have the opportunity to draft a generational talent like a Lebron or Zion. For every Lebron, Jordan, Luka, or Zion, there are many more Giannis, Bookers, etc who take years to turn into all stars or franchise corner stones and none of those HOF level players were leading playoff teams until they were in their mid 20s at earliest(except Lebron playing in a historically weak East). I think we can afford to give Jalen at least until he is 21 before we start with the buyers remorse thing….

Joe Rocket and jnuge90 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Harden's coming out party was during the Playoff run, when he destroyed the Spurs (ironically) off the bench.

Playmaking and scoring.

Harden's flashiness accumulated over time, he was an allround guy first and foremost and not a scorer in the beginning. Fundamentally sound.

Baptism by Fire.

9. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

One thing I cant stand about this board is lack of context and personal responsible of the person to understand when theyve been wrong about something. Ive been screaming for months that its SIlas's rotations bothering Green and that Theis shouldnt start, only to get told thats not the case and Green is a bust and no other coach could do better. This fool SIlas finally takes Theis out of the lineup and in one quarter without Theis, Green looks like an offensive superstar not missing a shot getting to the rim at will then he gets injured and the team naturally looks better without theis there but the same idiots blame Green. As a matter of fact Green would likely be averaging 18 - 22 points per game if SIlas wasnt such a complete idiot. Both Green and Sengun with a better coach would be int he ROY conversation. We have clear coaching issues that im sick of and I really hope we move on from this idiot in the off season.

ThatboyPhuong and vator like this.
  10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Harden's coming out party was during the playoffs run in his 3rd season. He was just a project his rookie year and was mostly a spot up player with some drives and fast breaks.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  11. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Very well said, that grace/fluidity of movement is not something you see in the average athlete or player. Once he gets power to go along with it then he's going to be an absolute nightmare to guard on drives. Also agree completely with what you're saying about Christopher, if he fills out more he's definitely going to be in the EG/Harden mode of thick guards who can finish in traffic because you can't really bump them around.

fchowd0311, burlesk and Joe Rocket like this.
  12. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Harden did this on a very successful team with a much better coach who was atleast average to above average in skill and awareness his biggest mistake was allowing Harden to stay 6th man. Throw Jalen Green on the Suns with him playing like he has the last few games and theres not much difference and lets not sit here and say Harden was the best defender too.

13. vator

vator Contributing Member

This is an interesting take.

Watching the games, do you honestly feel like the offense is being run through Jalen Green or that there is a focus to get him the ball where he likes it every trip down the floor? Green is at best, the 3rd option when he’s on the floor right now and stands in the corner a lot. KPJ, Wood, and EG all dominate the ball more than he does and honestly I feel like Tate does too when he’s on the floor. How is this any different from Harden being the 3rd option? Actually Harden would come off the bench and spent a large amount of time learning to be the number 1 option for large amounts of the game while going against backups as they staggered his minutes.

Bo6, burlesk, BonziWellsGOAT and 2 others like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is why a mediocre rookie season does not matter for a generational talent.

Most of us have seen it again and again.

The problem is some people get too protective and some get too negative, just roll with being level headed in due time.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You could do that, but you have Christopher, Kevin Porter, Sengoon, and other veterans needing the ball.

I would want to give Christopher the ball just to see what we have here.

I think he can do more and is being pulled rank on because he was a later pick.

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I personally think that when Green has the ball early in the clock and is trying to make stuff happen, it usually ends up much better than when KPJ or Ego does it. That said, I rather use Green the way the Pacers used Reggie or even how we used KMart where we use screens after screens to help him get to his spots as that can take advantage of his speed.

Bo6, burlesk, pippendagimp and 2 others like this.
  17. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Just to put a pin in how rookie years go and how its foolish to judge players too early. Let me remind you that Steph Curry the greatest shooter ever didnt win ROY, Tyreke Evans did, and James Harden one of the best 1v1 + playmakers ever wasnt even top 5 in voting. As a matter of fact Blake Griffin, Jrue Holiday and Demarr Derozan werent even top 5 in voting. Darren Collison, Johnny Flynn, Brandon Jennings and Taj Gibson got more votes than everyone listed above other than Evans and Curry lol Green will be fine.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I like Green and still think he was the right pick at number 2. However, the only thing that concerns me about him is that he tries to avoid contact instead of trying to initiate contact. Gives me the T-mac vibes which isn't a good thing. Things can definitely change once he has more confidence.

#118 rockbox, Dec 30, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    apollo33 likes this.
  19. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Tmac without injuries on the right team is great. I used to sa this about Harden, whose to say when its all said and done that we dont have other stars and a tmac being part of a big 3 would be awesome.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Terrific thread, @flamingdts! Great idea. It's quite a contrast and very encouraging regarding Jalen's development during his injury hiatus. Clearly, he was putting in some serious work. I think they should keep his minutes around 30 per game, as well, but it'll likely be difficult to do. The kid loves to play . . . exactly what you want to see. Now maybe I'll read the rest of the posts. ;-)

burlesk likes this.