1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green has played 20 games so far, here is a look at his first 10 games vs. his last 10 games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by flamingdts, Dec 29, 2021.

1. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yes, correct, that’s why I was sold on Green. Bosh, AD, KG, and Pau are among the best second bananas the league has seen, but they were not the main horse on a championship team. Here’s the thing, though: the same archetype taken a liiiitle bit further gives you…. Tim Duncan, 5x NBA champ.
    So we’ll have to see. The MJ/Kobe archetype is more compelling, as you allude, but Mobley’s ultimate ceiling is Tim Duncan.

2. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Wrong about what? We're discussing an opinion question, none of us can know what Stone and Silas talk about behind closed doors so it's not really possible for either of us to be wrong here. Anyway, the part you quoted doesn't mean I think salary determines minutes. I'll try to be more clear - I'm talking about players in the very first year of their acquisition. The Wall and Love comparisons are not meaningful here - we all know that players can change/deteriorate, and situations can change. I'm saying that there is an understanding between GM and coach that newly acquired players signed to multi year deals should get decent minutes. Why else would you sign them? If you want to try to find me a list of players who were getting DNPs to begin the season in the very first year of a multi year deal, then please do, I'd be interested to know if this has ever happened before.

If a coach is given 3 centers, and we assume that the GM is demanding that all 3 of them get lots of minutes, then it's a fact that you have to play a lot of the game with 2 of them on the court. It's the only way. Our disagreement here is just speculating if this was Silas' decision alone, or if he was pressured by the front office to play all three.

3. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

You are flat out wrong and I said nothing about DNP's. HE DOES NOT HAVE TO START BECAUSE HE WAS JUST ACQUIRED THAT IS MADE UP BULLSHIT.

4. NewAge

NewAge Member

OK. But if we’re talking about players and not teams, defense is more important for a championship starter than offense.
    A defensive liability gets exposed, while an offensive liability can just be stashed somewhere (corner, dunker spot, etc.) and not used.
    There have been many all-D, no-O players on championship teams: Rodman, Draymond, Ellie, Ben Wallace, etc… Hardly any of the opposite type.
    The main case is probably Steph, but he is just average defensive player, not a bad one. Lillard for example is much worse, and unsurprisingly he’s never made it to the Finals. Guys like LouWill are pretty much useless in the playoffs.

Bottom line here for Jalen Green: if he doesn’t play better defense he’ll never be a top guy. However, he‘ s aware of that, I’ve read it in his interviews. He just needs to show it.

daywalker02 and harold bingo like this.
  5. harold bingo

Supporting Member

Relax man. Flat out wrong about what? I never said he had to start. All I said was he has to play decent minutes, and can't get DNPs. And there's no way for him to play decent minutes without playing double big lineups (or not playing Sengun, if we want to acknowledge this option). This is why I keep asking you, what exactly are you suggesting? If he doesn't start, and we also don't play him together with Wood, then how would you assign the minutes?

6. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

BTW the problem with your posts is that you admit to assuming which is sort of like making things up. The fact that you dont get that is the problem here. As a coach you look at what youve got and you play them accordingly and yes Kevin Love and Wall are both relevant because they prove that what you pay a person means nothing when you have a certain goal in mind. They acquired Theis and Theis is not generally an all star big so there is nothing set in Stone pun intended saying he has to play "lots" of minutes. Futhermore Sengun could have easily taken the spot Theis had and thats the point Theis would still have minutes, he just wouldnt start. He's atrocious starting with Wood it was clear day one.

7. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

You are telling me to relax when youre the one who was namecalling and acting like a child two posts ago? really?

8. harold bingo

Supporting Member

Good points. And don't forget our very own rockets legend PJ Tucker!

NewAge likes this.
  9. harold bingo

Supporting Member

Again I will try to be more clear, when I write "if we assume" that's me giving a hypothetical. I'm not suggesting that it's truth, I'm suggesting the opposite. It's purely a hypothetical. That's why I'm "admitting" to assuming - because it is not supposed to be taken as something that is factual. I'm stating that my point of view comes from that assumption, and then in the following sentence(that you edited out here) I show that your point of view comes from the opposite assumption, which is that he was not forced.

Anyway, you still have not answered my question which is what are you suggesting? Who plays how many minutes? I'm not just asking this to try to prove a point or something, I legitimately don't understand what you are suggesting here. From what I can tell in your posts you want Wood to play, Theis to play, and Sengun to play, but you don't want to play two bigs at the same time, but you also think they can all get a decent amount of minutes? Is that right? What I'm saying is that's not possible. If that's not what you're saying then please, correct me, and let me know what exactly it is that you want.

Dude you are the one that started spewing profanities and getting worked up, and I didn't call you any names, all I said was you had a reading comprehension problem because you were assigning positions to me that I wasn't writing. And now you continue to curse at me and write to me with all caps.

10. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Youre just trolling at this point im done. A grown man that cant admit when he's wrong and just goes in circles its pathetic. I mean how many times do I have to say Sengun should start and Theis should come off the bench and you just keep asking how we were gonna do that. We played Wood and Theis together for almost 20 games.

#190 Joe Rocket, Dec 31, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Your assumptions really get the best of you. I call something BS and you assume im worked up and mad lol But im just calling it BS because thats what it is. You were actually calling me names and somehow you were calmer than I was? really? LMAO jeez.

12. harold bingo

Supporting Member

Definitely not trolling at all. I still don't know what you think I'm wrong about. And I still haven't gotten an answer on how you want the minutes/rotations to look.

13. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

If you dont know then you cant read. Lets pretend to be ignorant so we dont have to admit were wrong because thats the adult thing to do here lol

14. harold bingo

Supporting Member

Okay, I'll go ahead and read what you wrote when you said I was "flat out wrong"

I never said he had to start in any of my posts. So I can't be wrong about this, since I never said it.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You don't?

This shows that you have a bias and do not know what you are watching, Sengun has consistently been a more impactful player than Green when you factor in defense and rebounding

16. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Youre wrong about saying he deserved lots of minutes because he was just acquired but you know that already youre just pretending you dont know now cuz youve turned into a troll. Also someone who gets "lots" as you put it of minutes, is usually a starter.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude WTF does being a boomer have to do with this and yes it checks out defensively because most championship teams have had a top defense, you can do the research yourself or just be lazy and go in on boomers.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

this thread has morphed into full on fckery

Dobbizzle, ElPigto, GotGame15 and 4 others like this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you want to tell us who Green comps to that has had more success than Bosh KG or AD?

Bosh, AD and KG were far more than "help" guys.

20. harold bingo

Supporting Member

Oh sure, I did know that, I just still think that's true. I didn't know you thought you had proven that wrong. I thought it was clear that we were dealing with a matter of opinion here and not a matter of fact.