1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green for LaMelo Ball - would ya?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 28, 2022.

?

Would you trade J. Green for L. Ball?

Poll closed Jan 11, 2023.
  1. Yes

73 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. No

213 vote(s)
    74.5%
  1. cbass

cbass Member

I think Jalen’s ceiling is leading scorer in the league and best player on a championship team.

ilias and xaos like this.
  2. TimDuncanDonaut

Stats:
    Side by side comparison of this year.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm...er_id1=ballla01&p2yrfrom=2023&sum=0&request=1

I didn't do career average, because I'm more interested in what they are right now. Especially with young players.

Despite Green's sophomore slump in efficiency, I forgot Lamelo had a slump year too. TS% Green at the time of this writing: 53.6%, LaMelo was at 53.7%. Ball's 3p% is OK, and Green's 3p% hasn't been good, but Green's scoring near the basket raises that TS% somewhat.

---
    LaMelo hasn't looked good under Silas' mentor: Steve Clifford. Despite Ball and their young team tuned out their last coach: James Borrego. I actually think Borrego got a lot out of them. That high potent offense (terrible defense), put LaMelo on NBA's radar. James made them look better than they were. Borrego knew that team hopeless on defense, but he made lemonade, leaned all the way into offense.

--- off the court
    One thing to factor is that LaMelo (and that CHA squad) tuned out their coach. The org took the players side of course. They had playoff aspiration...etc with Clifford in and with Ball's injury; Hornets is terrible this year. They probably didn't foresee of having a bottom record (worse than ours actually).
    Rockets: 10w-24L; Hornets 9w-26L.​

---
    That Ball ego is something to watch out for, especially with Lavar whispering in his son's ears. LaMelo is in his 3rd year, already kicked out their first coach. I don't expect a Dirk/Duncan type of loyalty in this NBA age, I'm just saying the Ball family are opportunist. Be wary and put in contingencies, if to put that guy as your franchise cornerstone. In fact, since HOU is a bigger market than Charlotte, that actually swings in our favor, but who's to say, he doesn't leave for even a bigger market.

At least with Jalen Green, we don't see any of those signs. I know people here don't like Silas, but from what I can tell: Jalen and the team still listens to our coaches, and likes being a Rocket.

Boii, xaos, Dobbizzle and 3 others like this.
  3. maj21

maj21 Member

That’s tough! You gotta ask yourself this though, and obviously this example is on a way higher level than these guys. Would you rather have a Magic or LeBron type of guy that makes his entire team better, or is he scoring machine like AI or a Kobe. Only thing with the Kobe is that he was a great defender as well. Imo Green could be the more exciting guy that’ll put up a lot of points, but LaMelo could be the guy to elevate the entire team and win more. Idk man lol

DaDakota likes this.
  4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yes, but why the f would Charlotte give up the better player who is only a few years older

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I can respect that, I don't see it or agree with it, but I would be happy if it happened.

DD

6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

You know I ride with you DD but this is where I get off. Reason being, I think we have a good enough backcourt, the Rockets problem is in the frontcourt.

LaMelo is good but he hasn't really made that much of an impact on that franchise. They're still bottom of the league.

I think a better and much smaller move is Jayden McDaniels or an above avg defender and shooter at the SF position in the 6'10 ft range.

7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

How is Green in the same line as Lavine when he's performing as well in his second season as Lavine is at 27? Genuine question. He's ALREADY at Lavine's level. So you think he's never going to be more than he is right now? And you'd bank on that despite clear improvement from his first to second seasons?

ilias, xaos and cbass like this.
  8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I am down with that too.

DD

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm right with you there. Not sure I would trade Jalen for LaMelo though

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You keep on comparing him to Lavine yet he already has better creative handles than Lavine at 28. Anything that makes Lavine better now as a player has to do with just having more experience so that means strength, more consistent shooter and less mistakes as he has better reads on NBA defenses... After 9 years of NBA experience.

Green is far more than advanced than 20 year old Lavine.

SamCassell, cbass, xaos and 1 other person like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

alperen sengun is arguably the most valuable piece

12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

We're still cool. Lol

DaDakota likes this.
  13. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Lamelo WITH Jalen would be amazing. If we ended up drafting Wemby, I’d trade them the Brooklyn picks. If they asked, KPJ can go too.

"Hail Hydra", xaos and Dobbizzle like this.
  14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Quick question. If we got Wemby, would you play him at center or on the wing?

Sengun, Smith, Wemby, Green and KPJ. I think that lineup would be serious.

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I would do this:

KPJ - PG
    Green - SG
    Jabari - SF
    Wemby - PF
    Sengun - C

DD

16. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I'd shuffle that around a little, especially on defense with Wemby's shot blocking.

On defense: (C) Wemby, (PF) Sengun, (SF) Bari, (SG) Green, (PG) KPJ
    On offense: (C) Sengun, (PF) Smith, (SF) Wemby, (SG) Green, (PG) KPJ

Obviously I'm talking about which traditional roles they'd fill. Smith's a stretch 4 on offense, but a great perimeter defender with excellent feet and quickness for his size. Sengun's not a perimeter defender but plenty of PF's still play somewhat inside and Wemby as rim protector is a no brainer. Conversely, Sengun HAS to be in the middle on offense, it'd be a disservice to his skills if he wasn't, and Wemby moves like a really tall wing on that end of the floor. That's what I'd do.

17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Oh, I'm keeping up. You've suggested trading Green before. It's pretty obvious which one of our guards is your favorite.

And if you're looking at it as acquiring a more valuable asset, Green's contract runs for one season more than Lamelo's does. In terms of losing a valuable asset, that means one year less club control under a below-market rookie deal for Lamelo, and one year closer to him potentially leaving in free agency.

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Green is my favorite between KPJ and Green - but I don't think KPJ is that far off of him talent wise, in a different manner - and KPJ doesn't have a high trade value so I am looking at maximizing the Rox with whatever is necessary.

I only defend KPJ because I think people unnecessarily bully him when he is young and learning a new position. And I think the internet is full of idiots that have no patience.....so.....yeah, defend him.

Fair points, but I see LaMelo as a much better player than anyone on our team right now.

DD

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I mean who is the better player?

Green or LaMelo

If the answer is LaMelo than this should be a slam dunk.

DD

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I would not despite the fact that Lamelo is currently the better player.

#1 is the injury history. Dude has missed 30+ games as a rookie and working on another 30 in year 3.
    Your best ability has to be availability.

#2 is Green's relationships with other young stars around the league - they want to play with him.
    It's entirely possible the Rockets have a future back court of Ja and Jalen - even though the former recently signed a 5 year extension.

Believe It! and harold bingo like this.