1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green for LaMelo Ball - would ya?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 28, 2022.

?

Would you trade J. Green for L. Ball?

Poll closed Jan 11, 2023.
  1. Yes

73 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. No

213 vote(s)
    74.5%
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So basically you are stating there is zero way to prove that Devin Booker could have led his team to the post season by now without CP3 therefore Booker isn't a star?

You literally brought up the hypothetical of if CP3 never joined the Suns.

I engaging the hypothetical and said that they won 34 games the year prior as a really young team similar to the Rockets next season. So you could expect natural improvement the following season from a bunch of young players(Booker, Ayton, Bridges) getting better and it would be somewhere in the .500 win mark enough for a playoff berth.

2. HROZ

HROZ Member

This poll is insane

Obviously you trade Green for Ball as a Rockets fan

3. wekko368

wekko368 Member

It's a hypothetical. Of course it's impossible to prove. The best you can do is make a compelling argument to support it.

Then which teams drops out of the playoffs? Also, I think it's a fair assumption that any CP3-led team would've made the playoffs.

Would Memphis miss the playoffs? Aren't they a young team with natural improvement?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Are there any Superstar guards we could compare him to in theri first 100 games - being one of the boys and a decent all star is not a superstar.

DD

5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Imagine rooting for a loser like KPJ

6. cbass

cbass Member

In what reality is Devin Booker not a superstar?

1st-team All NBA last year

xaos likes this.
  7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I think outside of a Rockets area, that would be the case, but here, I was curious how many are so into their fandom of a player that it blinds them to what is better for the team, IMHO.

DD

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think you could have a point with him being a fringe superstar.

Scoring checks out.
    But I could see SGA overtake him.
    Assists - above average
    Rebounding - could be better
    Steals - that is the box that I think he is not qualified
    Blocks etc - as a guard may neglect this.

Overall there is no overwhelming evidence other than scoring that he is a sure superstar.

9. cbass

cbass Member

Ah yes, anyone who disagrees with your trade hypotheticals are “so into their fandom of a player that it blinds them to what is best for the team.”

Classic.

Because trading Jalen Green is OBVIOUSLY what’s in the best interest of the team, right?

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

No trading Green for the better player is OBVIOUSLY what is in best interest of the team.

DD

Lloyd Estacio likes this.
  11. cbass

cbass Member

Your evaluation of Green as a player and prospect carries little weight with me, because you say that Green and KPJ are the same player and have the same ceiling

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I did say that, but that is not the question here.

Are you saying Green has a higher ceiling than LaMelo? Because if not, then you do the trade.

DD

13. cbass

cbass Member

I’ve already answered this question to you on this thread.

I think Jalen’s ceiling is top scorer in the league and best player on a championship team, as I said before.

No, I wouldn’t trade him

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

DD you will never stop making me laugh “of course Sengun is smart”
    if there is one thread worth bookmarking it’s this one. Have your opinion cool. Then go as far as saying someone is blinded by fandom. I’ll just leave it at that.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

It's all about context. No one in their right mind would trade green for ball just to help kpj out. It's the other way around, gm would get rid of kpj for ball to help green which is never happening cause no one wants kpj.

If u were to say green for ball to build a team around sure that's more likely for folks to vote yes. But trading green just to allow kpj to b at his natural position, fk no.

Lloyd Estacio likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’d want to pair Ball with Green and make that the backcourt for the next 5+ years…so with that in mind, everything aside from Green, Jabari, and this year’s pick if it’s 1st overall can go

so Sengun, 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft, and another asset or 2

LaMelo
    Green
    Tari (if not traded)
    Bari
    ?

plus cap space

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I am not blinded at all - I would trade anyone on this team for LaMelo....

That is just wrong on so many asset management levels. Let's say Lamelo is a 95, Green is a 93, and KPJ a 92.

If you can trade a 93 for a 95 you do it - it is simple math.....at that point.

Now the issue is if you don't agree LaMelo is better than Green and that is an opinion that some here have and that is quite ok....I don't think the rest of the league agrees but I get it.

DD

18. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't agree that it's that simple. I think if you made a similar poll to ask "who is the better player today" it would overwhelmingly be in favor of Lamelo. But to use an example similar to yours, what if I think Lamelo is an 80 that is likely to develop into an 85, but I think Jalen is a 70 who is likely to develop into a 90? Then is it simple math to trade our 70 for an 80? Not that I think these numbers are an accurate representation of what we have here, just giving an example to make the point that it's not as simple as who is better right now.

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yes, I think we are running into that here, I believe some folks have bought into the "Ceiling" discussion on Green - I get wanting to see where our shiny new toy gets to in his career, I do......and I am happy if we get to see it.

I do think LaMelo is clearly a better player than anyone on our team - by a long shot, he has the entire package - BBall IQ, Size athleticism, skill, everyone on our team is missing something.

LaMelo has superstar written all over him, no one, IMHO has that on the Rockets.

DD

Lloyd Estacio and harold bingo like this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You've repeated this premise like 40 times now.