1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Jalen Green for LaMelo Ball - would ya?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 28, 2022.

?

Would you trade J. Green for L. Ball?

Poll closed Jan 11, 2023.
  1. Yes

73 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. No

213 vote(s)
    74.5%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The problem itself is that a team full of rookies and youngsters are like a herd of blind 'nestlings', or very inept infants.

The most important roles have to be that of the competent head coach and the floor general who has to take on the role of the guide dog of the blind.

I get that people like the Jordan or Kobe era but let’s be honest, those eras had lots of great defenders, now it's the era of 3 point shooting and elegant Offense.

For that you need the PG like your life depended on it, for nothing else but to let those rookies mature enough.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In fairness, I'm pulling for Green and he has improved over last season in some ways, I'm just not on board yet with those who are projecting him to be a superstar before I see more from him. He's young, anything could happen, I just don't operate on blind faith, and I'm not down with those who feel they have to blame everyone else for a player's shortcomings early in their career.. Every year we get a lot of young highly athletic players, some pan out, some end up okay, some bust. Right now, Green looks headed for just okay.....which is fine if we land Wemby to be the star.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If every year some athletic high usage player gets drafted to a bad team that needs someone to score points than why is Green 9th all time in league history in ppg for a 20 year old?

O-dawg likes this.
  4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Because other high usage players tend to also be playmakers. In any case, that talking point isn't nearly as impressive as you think. It has the feeling of something you bring up when you're desperately looking for something noteworthy.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

It really isn't a talking point? Like you expect fans not to mention that their sophomore player is 9th all time in ppg for a 20 year old when someone brings up that we still need a future star?

Yes of course I will bring up he's 9th all time in NBA history in ppg for a 20 year old if someone is going to suggest this team doesn't have a future star. He didn't even stay superstar. Like you can't be this absurd can you?

Shaq is a playmaker? Booker? Ant? Durant?

Like you are just making things up.

Feelings are you say things that come out of your ******* to put down Green for some reason.

O-dawg likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Because most were playing in college when they were 20.

Scoring a lot on low efficiency is not really that awesome a feat BTW.

Funny though that you've once again ducked out on all of the substantive debate and you come with some random BS that doesn't in any way dispute ANYTHING that has been said in the conversation.

Bringing up PPG in a conversation centered around scoring efficiency is at best dishonest.

Sure he's shooting enough to score 21 points per game, but when his TS% is 53.8 and he's not someone who creates for others, AND he's by far the most pathetic defender on the team....see how MAYBE your random factoid isn't so impressive?

Have blind faith in your guy all you want, but his numbers right now are dogshit across the board. You're going to have to accept that people will point it out from time to time.

7. Rokman

Rokman Member

I think the question to ask is, if you were Charlotte, would you trade L.Ball for J. Green?

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Of course they wouldn't. They'd laugh and hang up on you if you made the offer.

Rokman likes this.
  9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

It's a ridiculous talking point. How many players come into the league at 19 or 20 years old? And of those, how many are given the green light? And why are you looking only at ppg and not efficiency? Is it b/c you know he's inefficient? Then the logical follow-up question is, how many 20 year olds are allowed to shoot 17 field goals and 6 free throws per game?

What did a Booker-led Suns team ever do? Has Edwards done anything noteworthy? The Timberwolves were projected to be a LOT better than they are.

Shaq and Durant are irrelevant for obvious reasons.

Your talking point reminds me of when people were looking for reasons to prop up Tyreke Evans as the next great thing.

harold bingo likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

There is a long list of guards that joined the league 20 or younger.
    Anyways you can blurt out ts% all you want but with no relative scale compared to other players then it's useless.

At the very least he's ahead of star guards who aren't superstars at similar stages. So the ceiling of superstar is still there.

O-dawg likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

Man you people are so ****ing stupid man.

Anthony Edwards is 22 my dude. He has a whole damn career ahead of him for **** sakes.

Booker is like 26 and has a finals trip with also a long career ahead of him.

Those are stars at minimum.

O-dawg likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

....and how many of them were on openly tanking teams that didn't care how much their young guard chucked?

You just keep flailing your arms about trying to make garbage stats seem impressive and it's just not going to work. Low efficiency volume scoring while being one of the worst defensive players in the league is not the path to superstardom.

Again, I don't know why you are so emotionally invested in Jalen Green....but you remind me of the people who were emotionally invested in Lin. Never go full Lin fan.

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Booker has a finals trip because of Chris Paul. Before Chris Paul arrived, a Booker-led Suns team never reached the playoffs. Yeah....that screams "star".

You're the one who brought up Edwards as if he's accomplished anything.

Like I said, it's a ridiculous talking point, and frankly, it reeks of desperation.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you were to sort Jalen Green's draft class by total win shares since they've been in the league....does he show up in the top 10? The top 20?

How about VORP?

He's certainly chucked enough to score more than the rest, but how does he look judging by metrics attempting to show overall quality of play?

Look, I don't like having to do this. Stop ridiculously overrating players so I won't have to inject reality back into the conversation.

We can all be hopeful about the future, but there's a thin line between hopeful and delusional.

15. fchowd0311

My dude you keep flailing your arms. And you do know if you are trolling and being insincere you are still wasting your own time away from your family still?

Any argument about playing on a bad that can inflate scoring stats is erased completely when Green is a lot more efficient than all those players.

Those players all had lower unassisted fgm rates than Green which means Green had to create more of his looks and yet on higher volume he was more efficient.

Being on a bad team gets you opportunities sure. But it doesn't magically make your scoring efficiency better.

In other words you would only have an argument here if Lavine, Booker, Beal all had better ts% than Green on lower volume where you could make the case that hypothetically maybe if they increased their usage a lot they could get to Green at the same efficiency as Green or better. But they couldn't even get a better efficiency than Green on a larger portion of their attempts created from teammates on lower volume.

16. fchowd0311

Yes a lot of superstars go deeper in the playoffs after getting another great player to pair with them.

Cool things.

You expected Booker to make the finals when he didn't even have a player at the level of Middleton as a second star? Even Giannis needs a second high level player star player. I mean I guess Hakeem but we know how unique and special he was.

O-dawg likes this.
  17. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So now D-Book and Ant aren't stars in the league :rolleyes:.... insinuating that they aren't sounds like desperation. Only two teams play for the championship in any season, does that make the players on teams that don't reach that pinnacle scrubs?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

No you definitely like saying this stuff. No one spends this much time dedicated to trashing one player if they don't enjoy it.

He's on a team full of other 20 year olds my dude. Let's put it this way 99% of Raptor fans will tell you that Green is having a better season than Barnes and I still bet Barnes has better RAPTOR or whatever other bs analytic star because being on a **** team means bad advanced stats.

19. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Finals? No. But if you think Booker is a star, then he should've been able to lead the Suns to a playoff berth at least once, right? Or at least a winning record?

The fact is, before CP3 came along, Booker was considered an empty stats guy, and while you're impressed by his raw numbers, you should be unimpressed by his impact. And if you're pointing at Booker to validate your random talking point, then it's a worthless talking point.

20. fchowd0311

My dude CP3 joined the Suns when Booker was 23. You think he was going to lead a gutted rebuild team in the Suns to playoff berths from ages 19-22? You think he's god damn LeBron? Booker growing one more year of development was just as important as CP3 joining for the Suns to take the next step

How much of an idiot are you?