1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green Disrespect

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lnchan, Dec 14, 2022.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm guessing literally 100% of the top 84 players have been 20 years old at one point.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The tanking job or rebuilding phase has not ended for those teams so this was merely a momentary stillshot of those teams.

Anything can happen, change, is possible.

So far there are tons of things to like about each of Detroit, Orlando, OKC and of course the Rockets.

This upcoming draft is going to be big and decisive.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Are you responding in bad faith here? You very well know what he meant.

NewAge likes this.
  4. DominantBig

DominantBig Member

No they wouldn't and neither would I in their shoes. But I also wouldn't trade Green. Wagner looks like a stud, and is turning into more then they could have pictured this early. His upside is on par with Green.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

Ya it's a situation where both teams will say "hell no!"

Both franchises are really happy with who they got in Green and Wagner.

DominantBig likes this.
  6. SamFisher

I had to read it 6 times to honestly figure out what he meant, but it's a pretty silly argument since people didn't go around making arbitrary top 84 lists for the vast majority of the NBA's existence, and even if they did, 20 year olds were more or less effectively, and at some points explicitly, banned from playing in the NBA for large swathes of its existence. But otherwise, it's a super salient point!

I'm as excited as the next person by Green's potential, but his shitty shooting is cause for concern, also I don't have to make up fake reasons (like about 84% of mathloom GPT posts) to be excited (YOUNGEST UNDER 21 PLAYER TO REACH XXXX) which are primarily function of usage and small sample size and don't, as of yet, appear to have value as predictors for the future.

7. fchowd0311

One, It really isn't a small sample size. Players under 20 have been able to join the league for a LONG time by now. At first we allowed high school kids but eventually it was one and done but one and done still means 19 year olds which is under 20 last time I checked. Also every season bad teams get top lottery picks who are forced into high usage situations. This is very common because of the literal nature of our lottery system. Bad teams get top talent.

So there are a lot of players at 20 that had the opportunity of Green and didn't do what Green does.

8. SamFisher

Who? Name them. Most under 20's were buried in the closet when tanking wasn't as en vogue.

9. fchowd0311

nah, I'll just simply list all the players that have done what Green has done and we can just see how many of them became superstars and how many become mid players.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/most-points-per-game-average-by-a-20-year-old-in-the-nba#:~:text=LeBron James has put up,player, with 29.3 per game.

Also the players that people do comps for Green like Lavine and Beal might have lower usage their first couple of years but also HAD WORSE EFFICIENCY in those years where they weren't burdened to self create as much and as often as Green and he's still more efficient than those guys in their respective stage of development.

Easy likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

How bad did you want Mobley man?

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  11. SamFisher

Again, this is exactly what I'm talking about, a usage-based volume stat that's heavily influenced by playing a lot on a bad team and heavily weighted towards the modern era when younger drafting is allowed. (7 of the 20-whatever players on the list of 75 years of NBA history were drafted in the last 5 years. A lot of the guys who do it end up being good players beause they were preternatural talents who were NBA ready early (Shaq) ! Some end up as OK to good players. A lot more will end up as OK as average draft ages end up younger and younger.

I was just looking at Kobe's young stats. The knock on Kobe compared to other superstars was always his relatively high volume chuckage. But, even 2nd year Kobe was a way more efficient shooter - relative to the rest of the league in a defensive heavy era - than 2nd year Green

Code:
    <PRE>                                                                                                                                                                          
                                                                              Play                                     Leag                                                 Leag
    Rk        Player  Season Age  G    MP   FG   2P   3P  eFG   FT   TS  FTr  3PAr   FG   2P   3P  eFG   FT   TS  FTr  3PAr  FG+ 2P+ 3P+ eFG+ FT+ TS+ FTr+   3PAr+ FG Add TS Add
    1    Kobe Bryant 1997-98  19 79  2056 .428 .456 .341 .469 .794 .547 .500  .241 .451 .470 .346 .478 .737 .524 .330  .160   95  97  99   98 108 105  152     151  -15.9   53.4
    2    Jalen Green 2022-23  20 27   932 .417 .482 .323 .483 .806 .537 .324  .407 .469 .542 .356 .538 .782 .575 .265  .388   89  89  91   90 103  93  122     105  -52.8  -41.2
    </PRE>

Provided by <a href="https://www.sports-reference.com/sharing.html?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">Stathead.com</a>: <a href="https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">View Stathead Tool Used</a><br>Generated 12/15/2022.
    I mean if I were a true Green hater, I could probably put up a bevy of stats, based on the small sample size and advanced stats, fingering him as the "WORST UNDER 21 PLAYER EVA1R!!111" based on a number of volume-based metrics- he's likely going to have the lowest plus/minus of any player ever on that statmuse table, for example.

There's plenty of things excitign about Jalen Green. Being excited by things that are byproduct of the era don't need to be them.

12. fchowd0311

I mean you are comparing second year complete seasons to a quarter season that will have odd anomalies like road vs home games played. I mean the Rockets played a historic amount of road games their first 24 games of the season and given that Green has a ridiculous delta in his road and home splits suggests his efficiency will normalize once that home/road distribution evens out.

He's shooting 62% ts on high volume at home with a winning record at 20 lol. And also given the fact that young players at Green's age have better stats in the second half of their seasons due to multiple factors from naturally developing in mid season to teams resting more for the postseason...

So ya I expect his efficiency to at least be above 55% ts by the end of the season averaging 22+ ppg. Which is extremely impressive for a 20-21 year old.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Honestly could care less about the disrespect. Let his career play out. Either he becomes the superstar we believe he can be or he doesn’t and all this angst is for nothing. It doesn’t matter until he’s getting out for MVP’s due to it.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  14. NewAge

NewAge Member

Kelly Olynik on the list! wow. cool.

15. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

No ****. This garbage is just ranking bill simmon's favorite players

Even an espn list would have more credibility

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

you probably cant.

Durant is by far. Green is 10th though.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/worst-nba-plus-minus-player-under-21-years-of-age

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Proud of Rockets legends.

Os Trigonum and NewAge like this.
  18. Ancient Moabite

Depending on if the henny bottle is almost empty, he may be a few years away from being a NBA caliber player, just replying for a friend

duluth111222 and fchowd0311 like this.