1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green 4th quarter minutes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jan 9, 2022.

1. a time to chill

He is not scoring at a very high rate and he is getting the opportunity to score because he's in the starting lineup getting 30 min a game. Green defenders want to place the blame on KPJ but as bad the Rockets have been, they perform worse offensively and defensively when he isn't on the floor. I've stated before I'd rather see John Wall be the starting PG rather than KPJ but that's the decision of the Rockets. This narrative that somehow KPJ is holding Green back is false. Green has to make plays off ball to get open and attack the basket more. That's what he's done in the games where he has performed well, and KPJ was the PG in those games. The problem is that he doesn't do that every night. Too often you see him standing in the corner and settling for contested threes.

GotGame15, Bobbythegreat and DaDakota like this.
  2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I don't actually know what you are arguing at the moment. Green is averaging 19 points on over 60 TS% since his return, and somehow this is indication that he is a bad scorer?

Jalen Green leads all rookies in free throw attempts, he's been averaging over 5 attempts since his returns. He attacks more than enough.

He stands in the corner because he's been instructed to stand in the corner, and when he does move, there are infinite instances of KPJ missing Green when he does get open.

People aren't happy with Wood and KPJ for a lot of legitimate reasons:
    1. These two get more touches than anyone else on this team. For all the talk about "earning touches", this never seems to apply to them.
    2. Wood and KPJ are accommodated far more than anyone else on this squad, and their antics are given a free pass. Wood for example, still to this day insists on bringing the ball up, which makes no sense on a team with fast young players that can run.
    3. These two have poor attitudes on and off the court, to the point where they straight up quit on the team during a game.
    It's not a narrative that most people would prefer these two take a backseat so the rookies, who are impressionable kids, get a chance instead to shine.

AXG, HP3, peleincubus and 9 others like this.
  3. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Great post.

4. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Actually KPJ is holding everyone back. His playmaking is horrible.

BonziWellsGOAT and TheRealist137 like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Christopher overshadowed everything Rockets related this game.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Green doesn't get the blowout minutes because we're saving his legs for our deep playoff push. Remember how Harden always looked gassed in the playoffs?

7. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Bingo, this thread shouldn't just be about Jalen Green, it's more about Silas philosophies here. It's like he knows all the cliche things that coaches do but has no idea why they do it. Sengun has 3 fouls? Better sit him down, that could get worrying, he's in "foul trouble". Despite the fact that Silas never plays him late in the game anyway, and it doesn't matter if he fouls out. Same issue here, we're getting blown out? Well I guess this one is done, better rest the starters and throw in our end of bench unit.

These are things that good coaches on good teams do, but they do it for a reason. If you're a serious contender and the game is out of reach, no reason to waste your time and risk injury. Just go on to the next one. But that's not the case here! It makes no sense. He's just blindly following coaching norms without any thought behind it. Jalen, Sengun, KPJ, and any other young players we want to develop should be playing deep into the 4th quarter in blowouts. This isn't a playoff team. Any young guys that we want to develop should not be getting sat because "the game is over", it's just stupid.

8. xaos

xaos Member

9. BonziWellsGOAT

Outside of taking charges Matthews is not a good defender. He constantly gets cooked and/or fouls

Edit: I missed the winky face lol

#89 BonziWellsGOAT, Jan 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  10. BonziWellsGOAT

I know it seems like a small thing but I hate the fact he sits next to KPJ on the bench. Please move as far away from him as possible

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I will not be happy unless

1. All the young players get 48 mpg:

Jalen Green
    Kevin Porter Jr.
    Alperen Sengun
    Usman Garuba
    Josh Christopher
    KJ Martin
    Garrison Mathews
    Armoni Brooks
    Trevelin Queen
    No exceptions. No excuses.

2. Every game is a close loss.

3. Coach Silas is fired due to all of the close losses.

HP3, DaDakota and apollo33 like this.
  12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That winky face does not mean what you think. This is DD. The guy is white he likely thinks his defense reminds him of a paler/shorter Hakeem.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, he's not a good defender, but he's a LOT better than Green.

Saying that someone would be an upgrade over Green defensively is basically just saying they are an NBA player.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

At least we know where the Jeremy Lin fans ended up.

Player over team - player over team - will never understand that.

Nah, it meant what he thought it meant - but sad attempt by you at labeling.

Maybe folks should label you as a Moocher, since you have been here since 2002 and not contributed to this site?

DD

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Green haters ignore how terrible KPJ/Wood have been. They are by far the most selfish players on the team and they are killing the offensive flow.

bmelo likes this.
  16. Rockets4Life13

When all the counterarguments are based on trying to mock the people that are criticizing with legitimate arguments, you know that it‘s legitimate criticism. So thanks for proving our point i guess.

17. Rockets4Life13

You don’t understand it because u can’t grasp the point of the argument. This is exactly what a team first Rocket fan should want.

The point is to give Green (and Sengun for that matter) more opportunities to play (and make mistakes, especially in garbage time).

We‘ve had roughly 30 minutes of garbage time in only the last 2 games and we wasted this valuable time that could’ve given the future of this franchise some reps, on players that either won’t make it past the trade deadline or past draft night.

Unless you’re convinced we’re winning the finals this year if only Green doesn’t play 30 minutes and we play Nwaba instead, you have no point.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I truly don't get it. It reminds me of preseason where we weren't playing starters because....what? Hiding our 'offense' because of why?

These guys CLEARLY lack chemistry. They needed those preseason reps, they need blowout reps, they need reps period. Offensively they don't play as a team and defensively...it's a complete mess. KPJ-Green have little to no chemistry with each other, same with Wood, the team constantly looks lost on both sides of the ball and we're sitting them now whole quarters because...???

I really don't understand the reasoning. It is definitely more than Green as I agree, KPJ needs to be out there too. All of the young players should be out there playing as much as they can.

Protect them from injury, I get that, but Green played (IIRC) 26 minutes last night, if playing him more is an injury risk then that's a huge concern.

Now people will say it was a B2B, I get that too, but even when it's not a B2B we do this same thing. Exactly as you said, operate as if we are a good team and as if Green, Sengun, KPJ, are all bonafide all-stars that shouldn't be bothered with garbage time.

That's another thing, it's called 'garbage' time for a reason. People saying "He doesn't deserve to play garbage minutes" No, it's the other way around. He (and the others) haven't proven that they deserve to sit in garbage time. That's what all-stars do or important role players.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

ah come on buddy. you know that has been the joke for a decade or more from Dan Langhi to Dmo there is always a white knight close and true to your heart!

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't agree, I am a firm believer in rewarding good behavior and teaching off of bad behavior - I think you have to earn your minutes. Now clearly as the number 2 pick he is going to get minutes, and when he does the righ things he should get more - when he does the wrong things, he should get less......

You don't reward poor behavior - that goes for any player.....but especially those that are setting up their career habits.

Playing garbage minutes against G-leaguers is not going to help him in any way......and his defense along with the rest of the team was so bad they were not in the game, so they should sit....

DD

NewAge likes this.