1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green 4th quarter minutes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jan 9, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Watch them on defense - or watch them not play defense......

DD

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

See, that I have a problem with because he's earned more playing time than he gets.

If they were refusing to start Green and only playing him 17 minutes a game, I'd agree he needs to be playing in those blowouts

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

would you be ok with sending silas to g league for a cuople of games to get his act together and prove he can coach first?

tmoney1101 likes this.
  4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

For his last 9 games since his return, it's actually 29.3 minutes, his minutes have actually gone the other way.

For a bit of comparison, in Anthony Edward's rookie season (he struggled much more than Green to start most of the season), he averaged 26 minutes in his first 20 games, 33.5 minutes in his next 20, and 35.1 minutes for the rest of the season.

Green has played far better since his return. However, despite playing much better, his minutes have not reflected that.

5. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I’d rather send him back to Dallas and give Lucas a shot finishing the year.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. a time to chill

Since Green's return it's been a bit of a mixed bag. In the 8 games he's played since his return he's only scored more than 20 points in 4 of them. His last two games against Minnesota and Dallas have been poor outings.

GotGame15 and hakeem94 like this.
  7. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Jalen ain’t giving up 140 points a night by himself. That’s coaching.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

GotGame15 likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's been significantly better offensively since his return.... but his defense? Too put this in perspective, the worst defensive rating in a season of all time was 121.... Jalen Green's defensive rating since his return? You guessed it, 127.

He legitimately has a chance at the all time record if he keeps this up, he might even shatter it.

GotGame15, No Worries and hakeem94 like this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I mean, they really still play players that helped contribute to the blowout too...just not the players that need that time to develop.

Again, we're arguing over something that's been pretty standard since the dawn of the NBA and sports in general. Young players need playing time to develop. They don't develop watching the game.

They don't force feed green at all. They force feed Wood, that's what leads to blowouts more than anything.

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i am not worried ....hes gonna get that max contract 100%... i bet you any money....

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's a good idea because he still needs to develop his skills. This man is literally still trying to get his shooting mechanics down. IDGAF about his stats, but he's not going to become a better shooter getting less reps. He's not going to get better at anything getting less reps.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol just watch him getting paid max money... and teams fighting to pay him that .... nba is wwe

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep.

The reason this is because of the blowouts. We suck as a team, so if the idea is to sit green in blowouts that means his minutes will continue to go down.

15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

This is quite misleading, he is averaging 45/45/84 in his last 7 games (I haven't factored in today's game, but it will pull some of his numbers down) since his return. He is averaging 19 points, with a 62.8 TS%.

In these 7 games where he did not score 20 points, he scored 16 on 11 shots in 27 minutes, 12 points on 12 shots in 27 minutes (this is definitely a bad game), and 12 points on 8 shots in 25 minutes.

Today and yesterday were bad games for the entire team but mostly on defense. Offensively, Green has been fine.

JayGoogle likes this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

sometimes you need to just sit on the bench and watch the game from different perspective and soak everything in... this is how people learn...and he was injured recently so it also helps to cut out the risk of repeated injury

DaDakota likes this.
  17. a time to chill

The issue with Green is that he's just a role player right now rather than the focal point of the offense. I expected more from the #2 pick and how he was hyped to be some sort of scoring machine. If he's not a reliable 20 pts a night minimum, he's useless to this team right now because he doesn't play good defense. I don't think his offense is fine, specifically his 3 pt shooting. It needs to improve. I just want to see him be more consistent each game at scoring points.

GotGame15 and DaDakota like this.
  18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The thing is...unless the coach is a true amateur, they are watching tapes of their games any way. Hopefully he watches other games current and historical.

Right now, playing is the best thing for him. Getting comfortable with moves, practicing moves...getting them down and adding them, this comes through repetition. Having him do a few stepbacks in garbage time won't hurt him or working on his mid range or whatever he wants to do. Or have him run point. I mean there are things he could be working on here that helps develop him as a player.

As for the injury angle, I get that, but he's 19, we can't be paranoid of breaking him already and if we are then maybe we should look to trading him.

Also, just so it is known, I'm also wanting Sengun to get a LARGE increase in minutes. I don't care if he fouls out. Like I don't know what we are doing here, clearly not winning games so we might as well be developing young players and seeing what they have and what they might be able to develop.

19. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I actually felt like Green started the game pretty well. He was good in the first quarter. Then inexplicably he went to the bench for like 12 minutes and the Rockets were down by 22.

Then him and the rest of the team just started launching threes to try to get back in the game. And everything went to crap

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I'm not sure I'm following.

He is legitimately scoring at a very high rate, at very good efficiency, the only problem is he isn't getting the opportunity to score. Since his return, he has consistently been the best scoring option on the floor (outside of Gordon).

This is exactly why a lot of people are looking to have him play without KPJ and Wood, specifically so it opens up opportunities for him to score.

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.