1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green “not going to play anytime soon”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Dec 3, 2021.

1. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He will never be MJ or Kobe because Rockets don’t do midrange … He either needs to be deadly from 3 or develop a killer floater / layup finishing package

At this point I’m hoping for a Walmart Trae Young lol

2. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Almost like he is a 19 year old rookie or something

3. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

You are looking at the wrong player friend of you want a trae young. Turning him and his athleticism into a trae young is like having a Porsche but using it for off road driving.

4. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How about you give a example of a player who in the Rockets system of 3s or layups … you would like him to be.

Because Kobe, MJ , Wade… would not be the players they became in our system

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Why would they show you videos of him lifting weight anyway. Isn't he just rehabbing his hammy and getting some shots up after practice

6. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Who cares if he can't be like a former all time great? When in the history of the game has that been a pre requisite ? It's not just the rockets that don't do much with the mid range, the whole league does that. The absolute no midrange strategy was a morey thing and I am not sure if you have noticed but he is no longer with the organization. That being said just let the kid play man and I am sure if mj or Kobe played in this era, they too would have shot more 3s

harold bingo and Dobbizzle like this.
  7. NewAge

NewAge Member

I’m reminded of last year’s GSW, when their physically-gifted but overrated #2 pick went down with injury and team started winning…

snowconeman22 and bmelo like this.
  8. bmelo

bmelo Member

he should be lifting 24/7

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

i didn't know they made one until you mentioned it. looks dope

[​IMG]

10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

He better start working his 19 year old ass off in the weight room and learn how to play NBA basketball or the Rockets will have blown a number 2 pick in the draft.

D-rock, palmsnbananas, Nook and 3 others like this.
  11. NewAge

NewAge Member

The thing is he's a 19 yo with $19M guaranteed at the very minimum. You can write all you want what he "better do", but he won't do anything if he doesn't have "it" in him.
    Guys like GarMat who had to hustle and fight to get an opportunity know what it takes.
    Does JG?
    Rockets fluff-propaganda says he does. We'll have to see, I guess. Some things make me skeptical, but we gotta keep an open mind.

DaDakota likes this.
  12. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Problem is his arms are too short barely a 6’7 wing span on a 6’5 stature. Most wings his position are the best defenders on every team. All the premier guards have long wingspans.

D-rock and palmsnbananas like this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's NOT an "off road" car , its a "Rally Car" which is meant for .... dirt & gravel roads.

Nook and Jontro like this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

From everything I've read about Mathews , he's always been the best player on his team in high school & college , however small (after establishing himself) but he was still the guy out there taking charges and throwing his body around - That's stuff you don't normally see from "the best player on the team" & stuff Green has never done , he's had other people do all the dirty work for him - He Needs someone to do the dirty work to thrive & he's had coaches who've seen to that so he can thrive.

That's why I've often wondered if Christopher is really the better player between the two going back to AAU. He's got some Dog in him .... I don't see that from Green. I "hear it" but I don't see it .... I've heard an awful lot about how much of hard working gym rat he is talking about what he needs to do. What I haven't seen is Green take a charge or pick a guy up 94 feet .... Not in AAU , not in the G league and not in the NBA.

I really want Green to be all that and a bag of chips ... as a fan of the franchise , his success moves the needle away from rebuild.

As for the Rockets fluff-propaganda , it wasn't just them that was pumping Green up pre draft , it was a whole lotta people both in the league and the media.

15. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

he has earned his starting position

16. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

D-rock likes this.
  17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Least amount of mid range shots per game under Morey : 4.8
    Mid range shots per game this season : 5.0

It’s like he never left.

D-rock and gfab-babyboi like this.
  18. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Rockets do take midranges......D'Antoni/Morey are not here anymore. Different game style. We also are always looking to get close to the rim as we take the second most shots inside 10 feet

Once again, he is only 19.....plenty of time to improve his game

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Green does not have any blue collar abilities. I don't know how you develop that, you usually either have it or don't.

If he can watch how Matthew and Tate play and learn about that side of the game he won't be such a liability when he comes back. Now he's so timid and hesitant on those loose ball, loose rebound situations.

palmsnbananas and NewAge like this.
  20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

If he doesn't have "it" in him, then Stone should be run out of town immediately and its' yet another sad Houston sports story.