1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Jalen Green] “I need to Lock in, Focus on my craft, and get that Rookie of the Year”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jalen Green OnlyFan, Jul 30, 2021.

?

Does Jalen win Rookie of the Year?

1. Yes

167 vote(s)
    70.5%
  2. No

70 vote(s)
    29.5%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Newsflash, I guess they now factor in team record for ROY as well.

Unless he is averaging 10+ pts, 5+ rbs differential, great efficiency (inconsistency) above everyone else, which I am not seeing at the moment.

I think his scoring alone wouldn't get him into the conversation, he needs at least another stat or two.

Will get close though, and I am guessing one or two of the top rooks will suffer injuries.

#81 daywalker02, Oct 25, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  2. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Since when? He was voted most likely to be ROY in the GM survey and everyone knew we'd suck. The media people who are gonna vote all predicted him top 3 for ROY and the Rockets bottom 3. LaMelo, Ant and Haliburton's teams all missed the playoffs last year and they were top 3. Where'd you get your newsflash?

DeBeards and Jalen Green OnlyFan like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Did you watch the 3rd quarter, breh......also I am not on the jury or committee, just an opinion.

Dude hit 8 3 pters and his driving game lacked. Only 6 pts came from inside the arc.

I am not saying he won't get ROY but clearly the league favors triple dubs threats and facilitating scorers, that is just what the league has become.

Sorry. Calm your t***, it's a triviality.

In a tie, they would take the player with the better record, as they should.

Did winning ROY make MCW much better tho?

The key for him is to unlock his defense, his facilitating, that should be his goal, that is just some byproduct.
    Help his team win games (Win Share)

#83 daywalker02, Oct 25, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  4. Jalen Green OnlyFan

This went in so many different directions.

you good bruh?

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Did you watch the entire game? He drove by defenders on many occasions. Some leading to drive and kicks or drive and pass off to roll man. He missed a few buckets in the paint also. But ya he was getting by his man quite consistently.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Interesting, I saw something else, maybe he had the first step and then decelerated to the point he could not finish.

Maybe the Celtics just deceived us with their bad first quarter.

Or it's me just not getting used to the losing.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

We criticizing Green for making 3 pointers now? Interesting take. When you’re draining shots left and right it’s a good idea to keep taking said shots. He should have taken another 5 plus from deep.

8. VanityHalfBlack

He already locked it in. Only one competing with him is Suggs

Jontro likes this.
  9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I voted "No" because there are so many good rookies, but he will be in the mix

10. Jalen Green OnlyFan

You don’t think Mobley, Barnes, and Giddey will sustain what they are doing?

duarte started out hot but I doubt he stays in the race long.

i believe in Jalen and think he takes it but Mobley, Cade, Barnes, Suggs, Giddey are going to push him

D-rock and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  11. VickMackey

VickMackey Member

I don’t see why he couldn’t win. A lot of “rockets fans” rooting against him but he looks pretty decent for his first few games I’d say :eek::D

12. Nook

Nook Member

Green doesn’t have any issues going over players or getting by them in a straight line or making tough shots. That is really the reason he has a high ceiling as a scorer.

His issue is he has a hard time finishing with contact and because he has a hard time with that, he tends to try to avoid it. Most players like Green are hungry to score and will get stronger and more comfortable going to the hole with contact. That will cause a cascading effect and he will get easy points at the line and inside.

His frame is somewhat of a concern, he isn’t Harden or Jordan or Kobe or even Wade where they are so strong. However, the league is also different and not as physical now so he likely can still get strong enough.

I don’t think he will ever be a good defender with his lack of length and mediocre side to side movement. He can be okay though.

He is compared to Zach Levine a lot but he has better court vision and a handle than Zach did at the same time. The question is will he be good enough to run an offense through.

DeBeards, amaru, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  13. Jalen Green OnlyFan

14. amaru

amaru Member

Maybe I’m wrong on this but I’m seeing a Devin Booker like game as his likely nba comparison. Offensive minded, not the best defensively

Nook likes this.
  15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Booker being his floor isn't exactly a bad thing, Booker is a 2 time all-star and is only 25 (Harden became an all-start at 23).

The difference is on whether he can develop better playmaking skills. So far he has demonstrate the potential, and he actually makes quick reads on PnR.

D-rock likes this.
  16. amaru

amaru Member

I’d be completely fine if he peak around Bookers level.

Nook and Dobbizzle like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

18. clos4life

clos4life Member

I don't think he will win it but I'm hopeful he might. Games like last night make him look better with the national audience and media. His slow start hurt him a bit but only seven games in, plenty of time left.

amaru and D-rock like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Forget the 7 TO, his improvement finishing at the rim was more important.

DeBeards and Nook like this.
  20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Given with how raw Green's looked up to this point, everything he displayed last night was important IMO. He showed a bit of everything: driving to the basket in iso, passing to the roll man out of the PNR, a floater in the midrange, and of course those stepback threes. Hopefully, he can cut out those offensive foul TOs by not leaping so early on his drives. I don't think I've seen him do a eurostep before, but it's handy for avoiding charges.

Corrosion and D-rock like this.