1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Jalen Green] “I need to Lock in, Focus on my craft, and get that Rookie of the Year”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jalen Green OnlyFan, Jul 30, 2021.

?

Does Jalen win Rookie of the Year?

1. Yes

167 vote(s)
    70.5%
  2. No

70 vote(s)
    29.5%
  1. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I can see the Rockets vs Pistons game getting televised on ESPN.

2. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

you can’t have team success without star player(s) in this star-driven league.
    So let him do his thing and then the team will develop around him.

3. Jalen Green OnlyFan

I promise you he’s as unselfish as they come in the locker room.

hes gonna prop his teammates up and he’s going to follow the coaches game plan like a soldier.

I’ve seen it for too long, he is that dude

4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I understand the team first perspective, that's my view, but at the same time I want to say "You go for it young fella!"

As an ol' guy I actually like the suit, the swag and the confidence. We need a new star and this kid seems to have "It". Let's give him some rope and see what he does with it.

5. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

This was my biggest fear with him.

6. Jalen Green OnlyFan

You forget that he also said the rockets already have superstar talent and he’s a guy that can just come in. That was respect to KPJ and Wood.

He also said he and kpj can be a scary backcourt. I promise you that you want this guy in your locker room and he’s team first.

He lifts up everyone.

Tfor3 and raining threes like this.
  7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Back to our regularly scheduled program not revolving around is he selfish or not.

Green will likely win ROY because he is going to score a **** ton of points and be featured as hell in this offense.

Denovo, raining threes and Dobbizzle like this.
  8. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Houston, you know why I'm here!

raining threes likes this.
  9. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

He said he wants to win the Rookie of year, be part of all defensive team and get a big contract. This in itself will help the team anyways. Big contract usually comes when player shows brilliance and help his team win.

10. OpportunityCost

Should have been Evan.

11. DonatelloLimestone

this shows the value of high picks to owners too. They 1/2 always bring attention and people will watch a regular season game of Pistons/Rockets just for it all on a rookie salary.

Can't wait for Pistons/rockets...and Cavs hell I'll be watching the summer league for it.

12. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

nice

i like it

13. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

thx. championship confirmed.

if ‘spin, spin, dunk’ can do it - so can Green.

14. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

[​IMG]

DeBeards and BamBam like this.
  15. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Same here. There is nothing wrong with this kid. He will grow up. The part we needed him to get right he did. He was mature enough to put himself in the GLeague and prepare for this moment. He was smart enough to know when he was picked 2nd to not be a wallflower and aww shucks. He knows a lot is expected of him and he expects a lot of himself. We need alphas on this team and if he is committed to showing up and showing out the rest will work itself out through time, maturity, and hard work. Nothing on the court suggests anything but great potential from this young man.

OkayAyeReloaded and Shark44 like this.
  16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Well said!

17. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I don't see him winning it simply because other rookies will have better team records than us.

18. HardenVolumeOne

Yea I’m seeing some of these rabid fans for green join the sub that we saw with Lin. Hope I’m wrong tho

19. GOOGOOMECHUCK

GOOGOOMECHUCK Member

All I know is that ROY will be a Rocket. Green or Sengun, hell, maybe Co-ROYs :)

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/09/15/nba-betting-odds-champion-mvp-rookie-of-the-year

Jalen Green to win Rookie of the Year: +280

It’s hard to seriously consider anyone but the top two picks in the 2021 draft for Rookie of the Year. Evan Mobley is unlikely to put up the counting stats necessary for the award as he adjusts to the professional game. Scottie Barnes is more of a role player than a top option at this point. Some prefer Jalen Suggs as the top guard in the draft, though frankly, the Magic could be one of the toughest watches in the league. Unless a Warrior (Jonathan Kuminga, Moses Moody) surprises with a standout campaign, there is unlikely to be stiff competition outside of Cade Cunningham and Jalen Green.

So where should we lean when deciphering between the top two picks? Perhaps deviating from the favorite (Cunningham at +245, Green at +285) is once again a wise decision. This isn’t a judgment on which prospect will emerge as the premier player of his draft class. But regarding just 2021–22, Green should be placed in a position to seal the award by virtue of sheer counting stats. He was an electric scorer at the G League level, and his brief dalliance in Summer League only entrenched Houston’s faith in his immense talent. Green looks like an oversized Ja Morant as he slithers around defenders at the rim. He’s already comfortable as an off-the-bounce shooter, and he should get plenty of chances to rack up 40-point contests alongside emerging point guard Kevin Porter Jr. With a year of G League experience under his belt, Green may be able to hit the ground running.

Perhaps Cunningham emerges as the better player in future years. He’s a truly gifted floor general with significant size, and perhaps the Pistons surprise some folks and flirt with .500 for a large portion of the season. Yet that feels like a bit of a hyper-specific scenario at the moment. Green’s scoring brilliance could sway voters come April.

DeBeards likes this.