1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green’s shooting form

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by weopeo9744, Aug 6, 2021.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Ummm and yet Suggs hit 34% from 3 at college distance 3-pt line

We might be asking 19 y/o kids to be too perfect. Just saying.

2. apatel123

apatel123 Member

Prime Example

Jordan's rookie year shooting form vs Jordan's prime 90's championship years shooting form

As Green gets more mature and his body fills out, his shooting form will also become more refined.

No reason to worry, we're good

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

you're right. i switch to green g*ngbang. but suggs still looks secksy af in them tight shorts

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I might even say he's already working on the form by looking at his pre draft workout for the ROX. Looks like he's working on compacting the shot vs going with the two motion jumper he's used thus far. I think it might be more of an issue if he was a "bad" shooter. Tweak but keep him in a comfortable place not overthinking it.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I must be bad at evaluating shooting form. He has a one motion shot which is good in my book.

6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Easier fix than the Franz Wagner under the chin shot

7. MystikArkitect

Steph has a weird shooting form.

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

When Jalen was younger all he really needed to do was elevate above everyone else and it did lead to a two motion shot and he was criticized for it. He's been working on it from what I can see.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya from the G-league bubble it definitely seemed more like a one motion shot which means he has been working on it.

HTXSportsAddict and saleem like this.
  10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

People make too much about things like form. Form doesn't matter nearly as much as consistency. If he shoots the same way consistently and the ball goes in pretty consistently, let him shoot the way he wants.

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Remember things could always be worse!

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  12. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Not a big issue. Kobe had a two motion shot. As did Ray Allen and Michael Jordan. The inward knees issue bothers me more

hakeem94, linvetb6 and johnny_low like this.
  13. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Rick Barry asks "what's the problem?" Chinanu has the highest free throw percentage in the history of the NBA! If it wasn't for pride there would be many more underhanded free throw shooters.

hakeem94, cmlmel77 and Verbal Christ like this.
  14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I think Clyde Drexler should visit the Players and just talk to Kevin Porter Jr and Jalen Green.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

This. The shape of his form looks a bit wonky BUT the release point in this shot is high, plus he gets good elevation on his jump. I'm not worried about it at all.

Deckard, HTXSportsAddict and VoR like this.
  16. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

This. Klay has the best shooting form.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  17. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Reps hard work and physical maturity will improve his form. If you look at the Greats they had to make a similar adjustment as they got stronger. Takes time

saleem likes this.
  18. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Can't wait for this thread to be revisited when Green drops his first 30 pt. game.

19. 19bernardo87

19bernardo87 Member

To be fair, OP's post doesn't preclude that:
    > Maybe He’s going to be a streaky shooter, feast or famine.

I remember mentioning his shooting form a month before we drafted him, as one of my "areas of concern" (the other being his handles).

I'd prefer he had Klay's form, of course, but it's still not clear how much of a concern it really should be.
    Curry and Kyrie also do a thumb flick, and they are "decent" shooters.

mike2k132 likes this.
  20. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I respected the crap out of this guy for having the guts to do this.

But, on the point your making, I actually disagree! The players that don't shoot at all should 100% embrace the granny shot. Guys like Shaq, Dwight and even Capela. But the rest of the NBA that takes jumpers in games would be adding a separate skill/muscle memory to their game. Imagine the entire NBA having to spend time practicing free-throws and their jump-shot w/ completely different motions.

Sure you can argue that they'd spend less time practicing their free-throws if the motion is easier, but that less practiced motion can be the game winning clutch free-throws. Now days shooters get in rhythm from the foul line.

Players are better at shooting today than they ever have been, and that requires a ton of repetition, including practicing your form while shooting free-throws. Remember, there wasn't even a three-point line back when Rick was doing it. So yes, I believe free-throw percentages could go up if everyone switched, but all around shooting would 100% go down. But anyone who is a career 50% or below is being prideful.