1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Jalen & Chet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownfan_9210, Apr 15, 2022.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The thing is why people compare him to Wood when there is a Kevin Garnett....

I get that people hate Wood with a passion but dude is on a friendly contract and was basically just acquired to partner with Harden which did not work out.

I mean at some point someone who is a goner should not even be mentioned to hammer home a point.

It is totally like people trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by force.

3rd option vs (future) Corner stone discussion no relevance, and it soothes me knowing what he is.

#141 daywalker02, Apr 17, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    D-rock likes this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I know it's wrong to expect Wood to guard big centers every night, but he should run the pick and role better and give a consistent defensive effort out on the perimeter like he did in the 2nd half vs Ja Morant in our big win over them. Wood is definitely more athletic than Sengun, but the rookie outworked him. KPJ can help Wood out by making better entry passes, but Wood is not maximizing his talent. I have never expected Wood to become a Kevin Garnett type of player. I don't hate Wood.

3. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I made the KD comparison earlier as well. But, really he came into the league as a 2/3 and has really only been more of a 4 since he's gained more experience and strength. Giannis similarly was more of a SF for years.

I think KG with deeper range is probably the target ceiling for Chet. He will similarly have to display immense toughness to overcome the strength differential he will face as a big.

4. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

May 17th needs to get here quick so we can narrow the debate, all this Chet talk will be for naught if we draft 3-5.

BHannes2BHonest, D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

What do the advanced metrics say when you throw out the bad teams of WCC conference?

When you look at the good teams:
    Texas, Texas Tech, UCLA, Bama, St. Mary's, Duke and the tourney games? 11 games and the offense efficiency drops defensive numbers takes a hit and foul rate increases.

Edit you can add in SF games and these help bump his metrics but they and the small GSU team are the only "typical" Chet games.

6. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I’m simply saying Chet doesn’t have the same offensive skillset as Banchero. Banchero is the better scorer in my opinion. He has quicker feet, excellent footwork and great mid range game. He can handle the ball like a guard full court and dribble drives with ease. This is special for a 4/5. While Chet can handle the ball the level is not the same. The two players are not the same in skill level.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope Chet doesn’t get a career threatening foot injury because he has to play for the crap Chinese national team every summer

BHannes2BHonest, Roc Paint and J.R. like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

That's not how it works.

Cherry picking stats is cheap.

You play who you play.

And everyone is quickly forgetting that Duke was not having a very good season until they turned it up during March Madness.

Media was extremely critical of Duke prior to the post season tournament due to inconsistency and underperformance.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

But you're missing the point.

Chet is more efficient offensively.

Much better 3ball shooter and better in transition.

And defensively, Banchero is not even in the same universe.

So yes, Banchero is more skilled, similar to combo guard in 6'10 250 body.

But he's not as efficient in what he does while Chet is ultra efficient in what he does offensively.

Banchero is not an elite scorer yet, while Chet is already an elite defender.

cmoak1982 and Stephen_A like this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I think we officially have our first CHOF.

Rashmon and Plowman like this.
  11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I haven’t looked at the stats but I have watched both of them play and that’s my opinion. Benchero has a variety of skillsets and more advance than Chet including footwork, getting to the paint on dribble drives, and 2 pt FG’s. Its like saying Ray Allen who was a beast in his heyday who would give you 23-25 ppg to Wade during that time who slightly edged in scoring at 25-27 ppg. Ray is a better shooter no doubt and that’s the majority of his points but is he a better complete offensive player than Wade? Probably not.

12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I like Chet don’t get me wrong and I see him as a special player as well but just not as well
    Rounded offensively. If you are talking about efficiency that’s another thing. I’m talking straight up skills. Ability to score from multiple positions on the court. Playing face up or with his back. Taking people off the dribble to the paint. Im not talking about efficiency. I’m talking about straight up balling ability.

D-rock likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

You can have all the ability in the world but if your production is inefficient then your team will not be successful.

You'd rather have the stat padder over the championship role player?

Green and KPJ are more efficient and already better scorers than Banchero.

And as much as defense is critical to regular season success, defense is even more important to postseason success.

Defense needs to be priority without sacrificing offense - that is not Banchero.

BHannes2BHonest, Y2JT and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Nah, Chet is preference 1A but Jabari and Ivey are 1B with Banchero as solid 2.

Top 3 are high end 2 way players, Banchero is high end 1 way player.

BHannes2BHonest and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Dwayne Wade was ALSO a demon on defense and is likely the best shot blocking guard that ever played.

Poor analogy.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'll be thrilled if we even have the opportunity to draft Chet.

BHannes2BHonest, D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Im not talking defense man. Work with me here. I said offense from the getgo. Offense. You like Chet cool. I just think Banchero is better offensively that’s all.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  18. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

He is even skinnier than Wood. Hopefully he doesn’t go flying like Wood when someone more than 220 lbs pushes him.

19. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Its not cherry picking stats. Level of competition is a valid question. Why is it that when Chet faced those higher level programs he shot 17% from 3?

I mean the WCC conference is filled with programs like Pepperdine, Pacific etc. whose bigs are 6'6" max 6'8". These dudes wouldn't start in stronger power conferences. Then when Gonzaga faces them his efficiency tanks. Its a valid concern.

People ragged on the ACC being a weak conference now... the ACC schools then went in and dominated the tourney.
    If you play in a 1/2 school conference sudden these advance metrics you bring up for Gonzaga players just dont mean as much.

also Duke is a team of underclassmen lead by an underclassmen who struggled with a cramping issue early on in the season. Banchero will probably need to work on his conditioning as all rookies need to. Yes there is some underperformance because of youth and maybe some of the talent is overrated (Griffin? Roach?)

#159 Ekiu, Apr 17, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    Verbal Christ likes this.
  20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Wow! I was thinking the same thing. This man must be the next KG