1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen & Chet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownfan_9210, Apr 15, 2022.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I'm just surprised that after all the push for simons from u, there's no more push for him in that future scenario of yours.

A taller line up of chet Jalen Johnson, kpj green and Turner.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Teams will try to move heaven and earth trying to land Vic. Kid just breaks all the molds and projections. Watching him play just doesnt make sense.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'm pivoting to a younger less proven but more obtainable player with similar upside but better 3ball.

Do you have something against Jalen Johnson or Myles Turner in particular or are you just going to keep throwing out Ben Simmons name in every response to try and gaslight my original post?

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Just wondering your stance.

D-rock likes this.
  5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I suggest we do the same.

D-rock and Verbal Christ like this.
  6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

The green and Chet pick roll would be deadly

BHannes2BHonest, cmoak1982 and D-rock like this.
  7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

No, a revamped Hakeem and The Glyde :D

cmoak1982 and D-rock like this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I've gotten lost watching Wembanyama clips (AGAIN!) Im just dumbfounded. He shouldnt be able to do these things.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Of course, but hope makes for a poor strategy.

Bird in the hand ...

groovemachine likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

I thought I laid out my stance quite clearly in original post.

Hell, i even numbered it for you.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Didn't u just listed your strat on what we should do (trade this for this, that for that), i was just wondering y u wanted the players u wanted.

"pivoting to a younger less proven but more obtainable player with similar upside but better 3ball."

D-rock likes this.
  12. roc1951

roc1951 Member
    Supporting Member

If the Rocket get the #1 pick in the 2022 draft, I hope they take Jabari Smith Jr, Smith has a lot of upside potential and versatility in his game.

Chet Holmgen, while intriguing, has some downside risks that in my opinion would not be appropriate to take at #1. Along with the good luck the Rockets had with last years draft picks, this years picks could possibly push the team toward being contenders for the next ten years if done correctly. Chet for some reason brings to mind a smaller Shawn Bradley. Good, but not quite good enough. I can foresee PFs and centers pushing him all around the court, while high flying wings power dunk after dunk on him. Instead being a defensive and offensive monster, he could become a hugh defensive liability. The NBA has a higher quality of talent, size and strength than the NCAA. And the longer 82 game season may also take a toll on his smaller frame.

It's also possible that Walker Kessler, Mark Williams or Jalen Duren could fall to #17 to provide the Rockets a quality center. Depends on what other teams value.

Even though we already have enough guards on the team, a fantasy would be to somehow sneak Jaden Ivey in the mix. Do the Rockets have enough trade capital to pull something like that off? Just a Rocket fan fantasizing.

pmac likes this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Chet and Bradley are no where close to being similar in any way.

D-rock, javal_lon and steddinotayto like this.
  14. roc1951

roc1951 Member
    Supporting Member

Chet has skills, but I'm mostly thinking about how Shawn got pushed around. I am open to another opinion. Please tell me what differences you see.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

They’re completely different types of players.
    Chet is far more athletic, coordinated and perimeter oriented along with a toughness that is hard to put value on.
    Literally no scout has compared him to Bradley.

His closest comp right now is Mobley with a better shot.

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Other than the Bradley comparison I agree with this.

The downside risk is that Chet's lack of strength/weight completely eliminates his size as a an asset and makes him more of a weak side shot blocker who plays more like a wing.

That's not to say he can't be great he's a high risk high reward pick. I could see him being anywhere between KD and Bol Bol, it's just not certain.

Rashmon likes this.
  17. roc1951

roc1951 Member
    Supporting Member

OK. I stand corrected on the Bradley comparison.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

He has a wide stance.

Deckard and D-rock like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

I thought my strategy was pretty clearly wrought out but willing to provide additional detail as long as you provide your own discernment.

1. 7'1 Chet Holmgren - 7'6 wingspan, adds long 2 way player at 4 spot, provides 3ball spacing, improved transition scoring/ball handling/outlet passing, tertiary playmaking, rebounding and most importantly elite rim protection.

2. 6'9 Jalen Johnson - 7'0 wingspan, adds long 2 way explosive player at 3/4 spot, switch ability 1-5, 3ball spacing, disruptor on defense, improved transition scoring/ball handling, rebounding, secondary playmaking, improved perimeter defense and rim protection.

3. 6'11 Myles Turner - 7'4 wingspan, adds long 2 way physical 5, provides spacing as 3ball threat, physical post defense, physical screens, roller/dunker and elite rim protection. Also compatible with Sengun.

*Double down on huge weakness with Rockets D by adding TWO elite rim protectors as well as elite LENGTH in all the front court positions.

*Move Wood and EGo to allow Green and KPJ to continue growth in being focal point of offense.

*Add another ball handler/facillitator at 3/4 spot.

#39 D-rock, Apr 15, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  20. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Take your pick
    Chet - defense
    Banchero- playmaking
    Jabari- 3 pt shooting
    Rockets luck is that there is no clear cut number one pick.

RocketsTerps, Bo6 and D-rock like this.