1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jake Meyers appears to be the real deal

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Yordan The Great, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Yordan The Great

Lance Lynn getting the game 1 start tells me LaRussa is not using any logic in this decision.

The worst choice he could have made.

Thank goodness he did.

2. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

I think its a bit smarter than that.

They punted game 1 with Lynn vs McCullers, but are betting their entire season on Giolito outpitching Valdez, a bet they weren't willing to make with McCullers on the mound.

We win game 2, they're done. They win game 2, or season comes down to a tossup of Garcia vs Cease and Urquidy vs ????.

They did all this to ensure a single victory in game 2, time for the offense to blow their plans up.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. Yordan The Great

Giolito isn't God's gift to starting pitching.

You're talking like he's Max Scherzer.

He's a JAG.

LaRussa is a putz.

Nobody in their right mind is "throwing" game 1 of a 5 game series. Think about what you're saying.

Stephen66 and MrBear1 like this.
  4. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Desperate times call for desperate measures. We've hit Sherzer in 2019 better than we've hit Gio this year. He shifted the rotation down to get 1 v 4, 2 v 1, 3 v 2, 4 v 3.

5. Yordan The Great

Like you said, we shall see.

Framber is going to be dealing tomorrow.

raining threes and Tuckankhamun like this.
  6. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

I'm ready for Framber to go 7, If they couldn't hit any of Lance's breaking stuff I doubt they fare much better against Valdez.

Another shout out to Lance for ZERO (0) walks. Fearlessly threw the super slider and the snapdragon for strikes at 3-2. Not once did they take those 3-2 breaking balls for hits.

Yordan The Great and right1 like this.
  7. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Giolito is no JAG. That's for damn sure.

Astrofan59 and raining threes like this.
  8. Screaming Fist

I don't think they punted the game. You can't punt any game in a five game series, that's just crazy. What if Gio is a little off today and Framber shuts them down? Then they're ****ed. Lynn has simply been a little better this season than Gio.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I don't know....this strategy now involves the White Sox having to win 3 straight games against Houston just to advance. Sure the next two are at home but still it's still kinda....bold.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. Elienator

Elienator Member

I don't know about the logic of giving up on a Game 1 (seems like a bad idea to me), and I definitely won't argue against the assertion that LaRussa is a putz.

Don't think Giolito is a JAG though. If he is, he is one who threw a complete game 3-hit, 1 run game against the Astros this season. He's also been an All star and a fringe Cy Young candidate with an ERA+ that's averaged over 125 the last three years.

11. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Lynn had a 2.69 ERA in 157 innings. Throwing Lynn in game 1 was punting the game? He was pitching in one of these first two games and with the potential of 2 off days in a 5 game series the Sox could have either of these starters available on regular rest for a possible game 5.

12. vince

vince Member

I think it’s ridiculous to think that the White Sox punted game 1. Unless the White Sox are going for rope a dope strategy.

Lynn isn’t just another guy, he’s a star pitcher. A guy who was instrumental in getting them to the playoffs and the division a title. By yanking him early, the Sox were trying to keep him fresh in case they need to use him again.

But this next game is super important, because Astros only have two bonafide Ace style pitchers in MCCullers and Frambert. I wonder if MCCullers gets the ball again in Game 4 or game 5?

Giolioto is good too, so it’s gonna be a game of chess to try and get to him!

I trust Valdez will hold the fort, to allow the offense to do their thing.

But I think Astros just did their thing in game 1.

Snake Diggit likes this.