1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jake Meyers appears to be the real deal

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Yordan The Great, Aug 15, 2021.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I didn't say you were sharp, I said I enjoyed reading your stuff. :)

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Hahaha I didn’t say I was sharp either.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Hobby for me. Taking information from a variety of sources, making guesses on what happened/will happened, and then collecting data to see if I was right is what I do. Applying that to baseball helps make baseball more enjoyable to me. Mostly, it keeps the lows from being too low for me.

Everyone makes mistakes. I tend to look at the big picture of cumulative results instead of focusing too much on a specific prospect (or at least I try to).

#223 Joe Joe, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  4. awc713

awc713 Member

The Francour comp is interesting. Hopefully he has a brighter career but out of the gates I remember thinking Francour was a stud

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Just looking at Meyers minor league track record, plate discipline was never a real issue. His K and BB rates compare fairly closely with Tuckers. Prior to this season, he was able to maintain decent rates without inspiring any fear whatsoever in pitchers.

Of course none of what happened in the minors tell us what will happen if MLB pitchers start to regularly force him out of the zone.

6. Nook

Nook Member

I don't really see a similarity to be honest.

From what I remember Francoeur was a big guy that was like 6'4" or 6'5" and 230 lbs.... and he was someone that was drafted from high school and was called up really quickly. I don't remember Francoeur ever playing centerfield or moving like Meyers does. I guess the only similarity that pops out is that neither of them walked as much as you would like.

7. Nook

Nook Member

So much of his success is how far he is getting the bat into the zone, his bat speed and his ability to adjust late in the zone... which is something that he lacked in college and earlier in the minors. If you believe what the Astros say, then they felt there was a "chance" he could do this (to some degree) when they drafted him if he worked hard, got stronger and made adjustments. At this point he has elite exit velocity, and I guess the real question is how can pitchers change that, and what is the likelihood of them making that change happen. Looking at the advanced numbers we have, this doesn't appear to have been "luck". Pitchers will need to make adjustments and see how Meyers counters those moves.

8. vince

vince Member

I appreciate your hard work and dedication…. Thanks.

9. Buck Turgidson

This.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He's shown, he can wait on, recognize and obliterate a fastball. It's when pitchers start giving him as steady diet of breaking balls that we will know how good he can be. He's currently averaging .172 against breaking balls and .500 against fast balls and .600 against 4-seamers. Yikes.

Colt45, raining threes, vince and 2 others like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Right, because he can drive fastballs.... the fact that he can identify them is what is important. He doesn't really need to hit off speed pitches too well to be a solid player. Obviously he needs to hit better than .172 against breaking balls, but his success against breaking balls will likely go up somewhat the more that he sees them. He is also good at getting himself in a position to see more fastballs.

12. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

He is The Chosen One.

No Worries and Tomstro like this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Hopefully as he gets more breaking balls he stays good at recognition and while he might see a decrease in hard hit balls, his walk rate might go up.

rockbox likes this.
  14. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's clear to me from watching his at bats that he is sitting dead red on fastballs every pitch. I honestly don't mind that approach from a young player especially since he has the bat speed to really do damage against high velo fastballs. You notice this when he gets breaking pitches in the zone with two strikes. He's still sitting fastball - you can see him load and start his swing and then swing over / ahead of the two strike breaking pitch. Just from my eye test (no numbers to back this up), he's done pretty well laying off breaking pitches out of the zone, especially with less than two strikes.

Nook, raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  15. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Might be beneficial to provide some more protection in the lineup to see more fastballs...

raining threes and Nook like this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I would hit Meyers 7th or 9th. Either in front of Diaz/Bregman or behind Maldy to put him in front of Altuve.

everyday eddie, Nook and jim1961 like this.
  17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

So I can't make an observation myself. I must only report what Professionals with an agenda want us to say. There's a lot of that going on lately.

I also observed that Bregman did not look good several weeks ago when he was running the bases. And he wasn't ready then. But now he's much better.

But I can't find a professional who said it, so I guess I should keep my opinion to myself and let somebody else do my thinking for me.

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

By the way, That play was spectacular. I'd love for that to be the expectation. Jake has elite tools and that comes with a tendency of relying on those tools to make up for missteps that a player with lesser talent can't get away with. But I think he can polish those skills and become better than just good or very good.

I want the defense of Jake Marisnick and the bat of George Springer. And I believe he can do it consistently.

19. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Since getting called up, Meyers has posted 0.7 fWAR in 21 games and 72 plate appearances. Since joining Cleveland, Straw has put up 0.6 fWAR in 28 games and 127 plate appearances.

Seems like the trade is working out well for both teams, but Click was absolutely right that Meyers was ready and able to contribute more than Straw for this team. Kudos to him for making the gamble and trading away the starting center fielder on a team going for a world series.

HTXSportsAddict and Snake Diggit like this.
  20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Can't help to think we could have gotten a bit more from Straw though...

prospecthugger likes this.