1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jaime Oliver's Food Revolution

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by red, Mar 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I'll go to the doctor when I am severely ill enough to merit it.

I have friends who literally won't go because they know it is going to turn into a fat-lecture seminar. If seriously ill people won't go to the doctor that isn't a health benefit.

Most of us don't live on Mars, so despite whatever deficencies health education may have we have heard that excess weight can help cause and aggravate health problems. So repetative harangues from doctors probably don't increase our understanding of that message. Particularly from doctors who are a little too anxious to give us speed.

The studies I have seen that insurance companies use as an excuse not to cover fat people tend not to account for other differences fitness level (Mario Williams weight is a lot like mine..his fitness level is profoundly greater), the effects of yo-yo dieting, economic differences, and of course access to health care.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Wow, I feel sorry for you. If you have that attitude, you are a heart disease waiting to happen.

ClutchFans members, please do not follow Major Malcontent. See your general physician every year or at least every other year for a physical. Control your health before you get seriously ill.

One last word to Major Malcontent, please change your ways and your attitude. Not only for yourself, but for your loved ones, too. I'd hate to see someone lose their loved ones before their time.

3. Major Malcontent

I appreciate the concern, genuinely.

I have eaten foods I don't like and worked out vigorously four times a week and lost 60lbs, and I am much happier now (that I have put the weight back). By all means I don't advocate my path for anyone but me.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Just curious, but what was it that made you gain your weight back? The food, the exercise, etc..?

5. Major Malcontent

I was spending about 40 percent of my day thinking about what I was going to eat/when I was gonna get in my workout.

I know it is supposed to get easier, and become a part of a real lifestyle change and make you feel amazing and everything else.

It just never did for me, my workout never made me feel amazing just beat.

I sort of buy into what Jack Lalanne said "If it tastes good, spit it out"...I think he was being honest.

Sure there are exceptions, a really well seasoned piece of chicken. Certain vegitables can be cooked in a tasty fashion without butter. A lot of fruits are tasty...but in general, I think he was actually close to the mark.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

He's half right.

It should be... "If it tastes good, and you're fat, spit it out."

But even then, still a terrible philosophy.

Reason being that the more you exercise and the more you feed yourself properly the more your body is going to demand good food, and all the sudden that junk food is going to taste like crap. The brain and body adjust to your needs, really a magic synergy between nutrition and exercise that way.

7. Major Malcontent

O.k your full quote shows up when I quote you...but didn't when I read your post.

I will not argue that you know WAY more about nutrition/health/and fitness than I do.

I just don't get the connect with how people who are not me know how I will feel if I take a certain course of action. I was doing exactly what I was told to do, and in 8 months the phenomina you describe had yet to happen.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Well, consider that it took me nearly 5 years of taking baby steps...

9. Major Malcontent

O.k fair enough...at least you don't pretend it's easy and that people who don't live "healthy" are immoral.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I wish we could get to that stage of the argument as a country.

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

This is what happened at a school here in the states. What kid wants to eat healthy food? It's never going to taste as good. Hell, they didn't even want their unflavored milk. Oh...but they learned to try new things (like they had a choice). The revolution is off and the kids have spoken. They want pizza and chicken nuggets. They don't want salad and fruit cups.

12. Southern Select

Oh no. :( His stupid trendy TV show might not last as long as Trading Spaces or Supernanny.

Oh well. I prefer Real People anyway.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N3LN-NIu-ok&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N3LN-NIu-ok&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Kids also want video games and TV rather than reading and math. Why do we bother stuffin the latter down their throats?

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

You know what saddens me the most... how much crap the guy is getting for trying to HELP these people.

I just watched Friday's show yesterday... you know what I thought was the most beneficial... when he took the one family to the hospital for a check up.

The fact that the father had no idea when they had last been seen by a doctor made me ill. Getting a scare that their 6th grader could have diabetes because of his family history and weight issue will hopefully scare them into trying it Jamie's way.

Also, that those 1st graders had NO idea what a potato or a tomato was?? Who reaches the age of six and hasn't seen fresh vegetables??? At the very least in pictures!!!

My mom may not have cooked every meal from scratch, but by god I knew what a darned potato was... I had eaten broccoli and cauliflower and knew one was green the other white!

The fact that none of those kids knew what they were was staggering. (Kudos to the teacher realizing how appalling it was and teaching them!)

15. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Finally watched the first 2 episodes yesterday, and I find the hostility in WVa as well as on this board sad and bizarre. He's not going in and making the kids eat vegetarian or tofu. He's not giving them obscure ingredients from foreign lands. The guy is just trying to educate people about the food they eat in a town where they are very unhealthy. He's also trying to show them that for the same price, you can cook much healthier food (and most of the time, tastier) as well as exposing them to things like fresh potatoes, tomatoes, and lettuce. He comes off as sincere, not preachy. Try reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle *shudder*.

It was pretty damning that those kids didn't know a single vegetable. I know they cherry picked the footage, but it was alarming seeing so many fat people waddling about. How the hell could those parents not know their kids were in serious health jeopardy? Come on, those kids didn't know how to use a freaking knife and fork.

Of course kids want pizza, hamburgers, chicken nuggets, and fries over all else. What kid doesn't? But it's pathetic that they're being served it for breakfast and getting those 6+ times a week in their diet. The school system should not be preparing this crap for the kids.

It's a free country and people can eat what they want to eat, pray how they want to pray, own a gun, and should be able to marry whoever they want. But don't pretend your diet doesn't affect us all. When you get diabetes or heart disease, eventually the rest of us help subsidize your medical care (even before health care reform). And in a public school, food provided should be a hell of a lot better than what they showed. If the kids don't like it, tough. Go to a private school, get home schooled, or bring your lunch. I was forced to eat my veggies growing up, but I ate them.

I'm curious to see how this show plays out.

16. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Yes, we should let the children speak for us all. For it is the child that is the sage.

Half of the nuts on this thread need a Brooklyn Bridge line.

So, because your kid wants pizza and chicken nuggets over lean protein (not lettuce, not salad, not fruit ... MEAT), we should listen to them?

"The kids have spoken."

Woe is America.

17. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Favorite part of this thread: the mcdonalds advertisements for 50 mcnuggets :)

18. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i also let my young children* drive my car, operate heavy machinery, drink alcohol, mutilate animals, and play with fireworks unsupervised! it's what they want, and who am i to tell them otherwise???

*SWTsig does not have nor does he condone having children of any kind

1 person likes this.
  19. Southern Select

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M_bvT-DGcWw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M_bvT-DGcWw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think this is part of the problem
    Parents now are LISTENING to kids too much
    Kids DICTATE to parents

"Well . . when I was a kid I wanted. . . . "
    SOO!!!! YOU WAS A DUMB LIL KID WHO DIDN'T KNOW BETTER!!!

Parents and Adults are suppose to have superior knowledge and experience
    and are suppose to apply it to raising their kids

Be a Parent . .. then be a friend!

Rocket River