1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jaime Oliver's Food Revolution

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by red, Mar 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. kikimama

kikimama Member

You don't know what you're talking about. Just because you worked at taco bell, doesn't mean you "worked" in the industry. Yes, much of the industry down here in Texas are from across the border but that doesn't describe a line cook. A chef is something who also manages in addition to cooking. A line cook only has to worry about his station and can help out on other stations if needed, but he doesn't need to manage inventory and/or others. I'd be hard press to find a decent sous/executive that doesn't work the line on a regular basis. Unless you're working at The French Laundry or other world class restaurants, it's not uncommon for line cooks to make minimum wage. Even at the sous level, you're not making much more than a teacher or a lunch lady. Only when you're an executive or sous at an upscale place, will you be making the big bucks.

2. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Yes. Soon, only people with diabetes or a 30% and above BMI will be allowed to vote.

"Is that tofu you are eating?"

"No sir, I'm eating LARD. I'm a God-fearing American that loves FREEDOM.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If the kids won't eat it, then it's a waste of time.

I used to remember loving pizza and nugget days at the cafeteria. Beats a PB&J... My 5 yr. old niece can't seem to finish her dinner but will eat fries and pizza up in a second. Fast food is delicious. It'll be an uphill battle fighting against that. You're running against taste, convenience, instant gratification, and thousands of hours of marketing.

Pollan wrote an op/ed about how when the health insurance industry is forced to pick up the tab that they could become a more vocal counter to the food lobby. The food lobby's involvement with the FDA is as deep as Wall Street's with the SEC...

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

As someone who has worked in the fitness industry for years (and by saying this I mean I've helped dozens upon dozens of people go from eating pure s*** to healthy foods and liking it, including myself), I can tell you that the foods you like/choose to eat are dependent on a multitude of factors. It's not a simple equation. It's a lifestyle thing, and having schools condone/support unhealthy lifestyles is not the way to go, even if kids and parents resist.

Of course changing school lunches alone isn't going to fix it if you've got a bunch of kids who never exercise and their parents feed them garbage at home. Takes a village to raise a kid, etc. Everybody has to be on board with living healthier. There's a reason that the environment you're brought up in is such an indicator of how you will turn out as an adult. Both academically, physically, mentally, etc.

The answer here isn't "well, they won't eat it, so f*** it". The answer is to get parents, businesses, and the community involved (and yes, even the government) in healthy living for everyone through education and incentives (no need to punish unhealthy living, that is a punishment in itself). It's all about priorities, if you don't make healthy living a priority in your schools, then why should the kids or parents?

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I agree totally. I just don't know how school systems can cope with kids wasting food and money in the face of parents complaining that they had to shove an extra Oreo in Jr's. mouth right after school.

I think we rely too much upon school systems doing the parenting for us, and burning them when they fail over matters that are our responsibility.

6. DonnyMost

[​IMG]

7. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I know I am pigeonholing myself as Clutchfans fat guy, but it's something I am a little passionate about.

I guess the main thing to say is I am FOR healthier lifestyles for everyone but being heavy handed (no pun intended) is the WRONG way to go.

I know so many fat people who won't go to the doctor until they are on their deathbed because the doctors spend 45 seconds on their symptoms and 45 minutes lecturing them on their weight.

Media depictions of fat people, out of control, smelly, lazy...maybe if we are lucky funny...fat people ARE allowed to be jolly (thanks Santa) aren't just the norm, they are pretty much all there is. (other than being invisible)

I haven't seen the Oliver show...it sounds like his heart is in the right place, I like the idea of something that might help that doesn't single out fat kids for MORE ridicule, but a lot depends on how it is done. Singling people out for being fat and stupid might make good television...but..especially coming from an outsider who isn't part of the culture I don't know how much positive impact it will have except on Jaime Oliver's wallet.

8. DonnyMost

You really need to watch the show if this is your perception.

As a former fat guy club member, Oliver has my whole hearted endorsement, whether it is making him rich or not I could care less. In fact, I'd rather he be banking, because it's really hard work and very few people can do it effectively. More power to him.

9. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I did admit to having not seen the show. I'll give it a try.

I can't watch stuff like "The Biggest Loser"...the carnival freak show aspect of it makes me ill.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6902120.html
    http://bigeducationape.blogspot.com/2010/03/hisd-cutting-school-cafeteria-jobs-and.html

uhm . . not really

Rocket River

11. DonnyMost

I *hate* the biggest loser.

To me it makes a mockery out of personal health and the fitness industry.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Sorry to maybe thread derail, but this is a problem in America. Health education is horrible in the US. The reason a doctor will spend more time lecturing on your weight is because the doctor is trying to prevent you from being sicker in the future.

Obesity is a huge detriment to health. Prevention is key in healthcare, not the treatment of your symptoms. By treating your symptoms only, you're not going to be better. You'll only feel better. If he can fix the CAUSE, he can prevent further health complications.

I support Jaime Oliver for trying to reduce obesity. Maybe it's not as effective as it can be, but most of the problem lies with the parents and education.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

To me .. . Jaime's thing is this. . .
    School should teach the kids how to be healthy
    then when they are adults they will make informed decisions
    Also
    School should IMO introduce kids to a variety of things
    this goes beyond Cultures . .and subjects
    but experiences

I am a very very finicky eater
    but i think children should be exposed to healthy school

I guess in a sense . . .School should be more ideal than the real world

Rocket River

14. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

It all starts with the parents.

Someone earlier said that you couldn't get kids to choose healthy food over pizza and I completely disagree. When I was growing up I loved fruits and vegetables. My parents fed them to me all along the way and I rarely ate fast food. It's just like anything else, children learn from their environment. If you eat junk food all day and feed them junk food all day they learn to love it.

I think schools should have reasonably healthy choices at breakfast/lunch. If parents want their children to eat garbage then they should prepare a lunch for them. If your child doesn't eat the healthy lunch and comes home hungry maybe you should re-thing what you have been teaching them.

#94 pmac, Mar 28, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  15. kikimama

kikimama Member

16. Asian Sensation

This. rep'd.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Oliver's effort to educate kids about food reminds me of my own experience as a math teacher. Kids want to do what's easy and require little effort. It's up to the adults (teachers, parents) to at least try to make them do the right thing and develop the right habits.

Teaching kids about health and eating is really not that much difference than teaching them English, math, physics, etc.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I get so tired about hearing it's a parental responsibility because that's not the point. The problem is what happens in society when parents drop the ball. Do we let kids grow up with a basic lack of understanding for simple things that would make them healthier adults and pay the costs associated with that as a society or do we do something about it in the schools to have a bottom line effect on future generations. Watching this program and seeing these kids not be able to recognize a tomato or a potato, that shocks the hell out of me.

19. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I hate fat people.

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

What happens is you get the arguement from people like Southern Select about how there is more government intrusion and stupid useless talking points about how we are turning into a nanny state.

Parents have dropped the ball and not just about nutrition but also financial education. I teach adults at a vocational program. Last week we're going over resumes and job searching, I mention that they should look beyond salary and also benefits when they choose an offer. Long story short we get to talking about retirement, 401ks, IRAs, etc. They don't have a clue. When I ask about their retirement plans they all mention SS but have no clue how a 401k works. If no one ever educated them how do we break the cycle?

Point is a lack of financial education similar to nutrition education ends up hurting the nation as a whole. If my students work and never save then when they hit 65 they will be on Medicaid, etc. Their parents aren't educating them and it appears we don't want the nanny state indoctrinating our kids so what should we do?