1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jae’Sean Tate, Alperen Sengun & Jalen Green to participate in Rising Stars game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Feb 1, 2022.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Verbal Christ likes this.
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

For all the btching dem mobley mobs does routinely on Green's recent performance. how did he even get invited to this thing?

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Because everyone else on the planet is more optimistic about Green than this weird little sub division of rockets fans that are watching with pity and remorse lol.

Candace Parker, Shaq and Wade all agreed there are things to work on but it's only a matter of time before he becomes a star.

Most people believe he just needs time and he will at least be a star scorer. The worst non rockets assessment of him I have seen is that as one of the youngest rookies, he's a top ten rookie in the first half of the season.

Because we come on this board and they are so motivated to post a huge volume here, it might sometimes make you think the opinions in the world that matter are split on this subject. In reality though, most people believe he's a future star who is too raw at the moment. Those who believe he's a future role player are a little community we house over here.

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

is it bad to admit I laughed

aaquaa and noppeper like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Would be more fun if one of them actually got to the Celebrity Game.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Oh, he is rising fo sure but star............that is a trick question for another time, mang.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He still got the most threads covered.

Question begs why he deserves so many threads and someone like Christopher only gets so much exposure, someone who played much better recently in the crunch time.

Y'all think a 2nd pick should get guaranteed love, no he does not.

The only things he got is a guaranteed starting spot for a year and guaranteed millions.

8. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

This is facts. I've seen numerous pundits stick to their guns that he'll be a scoring leader one day, it's only the Cav fan..I mean "clutch" fans who think he's a bust.

i3artow i3aller and Mathloom like this.
  9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Again I get it, just showing people the big picture. Few think that Green's rawness is a death sentence for his stardom. It's over represented on this board.

i3artow i3aller and daywalker02 like this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

In the "real" world and basketball ecosphere at large the optimism about Green is sincere and hopeful. In the weirdest twists of fate some of the most devout Rocket fans here turned on their own player. The Mecca of ROX fandom. This place is always highly opinionated and houses some of the most knowledgeable fans in the world, but it has also welcomed a more sinister groupthink that was originally designed to disparage and mock Green the person before it set out to destroy Green the player and the "fans" who wanted Mobley just join in for the laughs. They will throw around some underhanded compliments when he plays well, but really they salivate at the thought of what the next witty insult will be. Its a laugh now cry later situation for me because the process was always going to be arduous and yet I may have underestimated how quickly this place would turn. Ive used the ignore feature more in the last 6 months than in my previous 12 years combined. Its just easier to gain perspective without the insults. There are still some genuine critics who do try to voice concern without the flaming, but they are now few and far between. Its better for everyone not to entertain the vitriol. Makes me remember the quote "optimism is the one quality more associated with success and happiness than any other" ---- takes so much energy living in that negative realm constantly.

i3artow i3aller and Dobbizzle like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

new format is actually interesting…I’ll be tuning in

I appreciate the NBA trying to switch things up

they should probably make the Dunk Contest the 1st event on Saturday…it’s not exciting anymore…the 3 point contest is far more exciting and should be the main event

half the contestants won’t even make their dunk

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He starts (getting all those minutes), is in this, and has been inserted into the dunk contest, all for the same reason....not on merit, but because he's the #2 pick, $$$$$, and future marketing upside.

aaquaa, Bobbythegreat, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  13. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

In all honesty, half the time the board feels like a Rockets hate forum more than fan forum. It's bizarre. I feel less and less inclined to post as the season goes on. I joined to support the team, join in game threads (as I no longer have other fans nearby to watch with) and go through the rebuild in solidarity. Found myself defending the team as if I was on a fan board for a different team entirely. It gets really old. Mostly stick around for the fee posters who actually enjoy talking basketball. The negativity and over the top hatred really is quite tiring though.

14. TimDuncanDonaut

Some of it is the losing. Everyone knows mentally, team will lose in a rebuild but to watch the games and experience it firsthand. Game after game wears on people. Hence more negative reactions.

The other is unfamiliarity. The Rookies are new, they can win the fans over with their play (and consistency). Until that happens, it is more rollercoaster, there's less history to draw from.

The other is uncertainty and equity. How much time to spend on someone. Who deserves playing time. Rookie vs vets. Rookie A vs Rookie B. The risk of spending too time on one, but that person busts and end up wasting resources. Green might take some time, but everyone's patience is different.

15. NewAge

NewAge Member

… the fourth is feeling of letdown of the hopes and hype of a #2 pick: the supposed reward for enduring a disastrous season and a nerve-racking lottery. I don’t see much emotion towards Armony Brooks, the emotional cost invested in getting him is minuscule…

… the fifth is some distaste for Greeen’s PR machine

noppeper and GotGame15 like this.
  16. CXbby

CXbby Member

Well this is interesting. Sengun has 3x the likes and retweets as Green. Are you paying attention Rockets PR department? No matter how hard you try to shove him down our throats, fans recognize real game. Tilman chose to draft for social media presence and ticket sales and still failed at even that.

aaquaa, GotGame15 and D-rock like this.
  17. NewAge

NewAge Member

hmmmm… what about Insta, though? That’s where Green’s target teen/pre-teen demographics is.

CXbby likes this.
  18. TimDuncanDonaut

Green is popular, 2nd most normally (ahead of Wood and others). Sengun is normally #1 for highlights (twitter) from my observation. We should celebrate all our guys. :)

As far as PR and merch, yes Sengun is under-tapped.

19. CXbby

CXbby Member

We are not negative about Sengun, even though lately he’s been hitting a wall. We are not negative about Christopher, who is outplaying his draft position. We are not even that negative about Garuba, because we haven’t seen much yet. Kpj has been up and down, more up recently, so the posts on him are positive and negative as well. We even have people hopeful of Nix, an undrafted rookie, just because he’s doing well in the g league.

Don’t treat us Rocket fans like idiots. If Green was playing like an actual #2 pick, like ANY of the top picks in this historically deep draft, you think people here would be negative about him? Hell, if he just showed flashes half the time, and was his sorry self the other half, I wouldn’t even complain. Instead we get a hot shooting game (while doing nothing else) 1 out of 10 games, while being one of the worst players in the league the rest of the times, and you want loyal ROCKET fans to just sit there and smile? Especially for some of us who saw this coming from a mile away, it is even more painful to be proven right, being reminded every night watching him that the franchise you love is most likely not going anywhere for the next decade like so many trash franchises in the past, because of incompetent ownership and management that lead to terrible draft decisions not based on factors on the court but rather money and social media clout.

No, the talking heads who never watch the Rockets and were never right about us can say what they want, but the actual fans who watch every game, we will be optimistic about the rookies who give us a reason to, and pessimistic about the rookies who gives us a reason to. Not because we are negative or positive, but because we are not blind and stupid.

#39 CXbby, Feb 2, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
    GotGame15 and snowconeman22 like this.
  20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Idk what green is in the future ... of our rookies only Christopher has been consistently good . Sengun has shown more flashes than green (skills ) but he hasn’t looked great coming back from injury .

rookies have it tough . I’m not worried about anyone’s future at the moment (in terms of being a bust )

Tate def deserves to be recognized among second year players .

part of my frustration with green is that he’s getting minutes that he doesn’t deserve based off his play . We can’t say it’s a meritocracy... he’s getting opportunity based on his draft position and perceived upside .

I just hope he picks it up the second half of the season and starts looking better .

Imo he shouldn’t get the same blank check next year . JC has been better . If he’s still better he deserves to start over green .

JC can make the team next year. Hopefully he does. Hopefully we have multiples guys making it again