1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jaden Ivey

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by xaos, Nov 21, 2021.

1. xaos

xaos Member

How good will he be? Where do you see him picked in the draft?

2. sydmill

sydmill Member

5-10

xaos likes this.
  3. i3artow i3aller

4. futilman

futilman Member

Looks decent. Would make 0 sense as a rocket.

5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

PG Jaden Hardy of the Ignite

His Deep 3 Point Shot, Speed, Athleticism is really needed on the Rockets.

Jaden Hardy can totally change the Rockets offense, just by his shooting alone.

KPJ I don't believe he can be trusted with his mood swings.

Playing and Leading as a Point Guard is a lot Responsibility. You must be able to attack and and pass to open Teammates. And creating your own shot at the 3 Point line

#5 rockets1995, Nov 22, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  6. Nook

Nook Member

I am probably the only one that feels this way, but I actually believe that Jaden Ivey can play point guard at the NBA level and would be an excellent contrast to Jalen Green. Ivey has a 6'9" wingspan, very quick hands and is nimble on his feet, when he turns the corner he gets separation from his man. He needs to work on his handle but he has underrated court vision and gets to the line and finishes after contact.

He does need to improve his three point shooting and at times can play out of control but there is a lot of upside and if the Rockets want a "point guard" to run next to Green, then Ivey (while a bit of a project at that position), is an excellent choice. He has a very high defensive upside as he has all the tools to defend at an elite level with his wingspan, nimble feet, motor and under rated hands.

I don't think that Ivey breaks into the top 2, but it is possible because of his excellent skills. My guess is that he goes 3-6 in this draft. He really has some skills that translate well at the next level. I would be please if the Rockets got him in the 3-6 range of the draft with the idea of making him a point guard. There are others competing for that same spot in the draft, but Ivey's quickness and body control really stick out.

Deckard, D-rock, jcmoon and 5 others like this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Many of us on twitter have been talking about Ivey's potential and a fit on the Rockets. I absolutely think he could be a choice in the 3-6 range. When I see Ivey, he looks like Ja Morant to me. I was impressed.

In no particular order if the Rockets have the worst record they have a chance at 1 of these guys.
    Banchero
    Chet
    Duren
    Jabari
    Ivey

Not bad.

D-rock, xaos and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

That is interesting that you mention Morant because that is the player I thought of as well. He obviously needs to improve his ball handling and become more polished but he is very projectable at the next level and what he needs to improve will likely happen with hard work.

I agree with your grouping, I would add the center from Africa as well, he has extremely high physical attributes that may push him into the discussion. He has an incredible wingspan and moves like a small forward and has a developing outside game.

D-rock likes this.
  9. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

Top 6 pick

Morant level talent with a much better body.

jiggyfly and xaos like this.
  10. sydmill

sydmill Member

For me,
    It would be hard go wrong with any of those guys. For the Rockets, I put Jabari Smith and Paolo Banchero in some order at the top of the wishlist and then Duren and Chet and finally Ivey (along with Hardy I guess). With their current roster construction and with the talented bigs in this class, i think the Rockets add to Sengun, Garuba, and KJ as their frontcourt of the future. I would like to see a pure point guard with the Miami pick (Carlos Alocen and Andrew Nembhard are names I am following right now). Hoping for a second rounder or two for developmental guys like Badji or Khalifa Diop (at worst size and 6 fouls but potentially good defenders off the bench).

11. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I like Ivey but I think people jump to Morant comparisons because he's also an explosive G with dreads. Ja is an elite ball-handler with a natural ability to run an offense. Ivey is not a natural floor-general and his handle is still developing. His explosiveness, lateral fluidity and downhill attacking style allow him to get where he wants at the college level, but he's still more of a combo than a PG at this juncture. This isn't to say he can't make the transition -- I think he can -- but he's likely to always be more of a P/R playmaker than an actual floor-general. But his 2-way upside and motor are definitely worth a look in the Top-10, and maybe even Top-5.

But I think he's going to be valuable either way. I just don't see him as a great fit here.

Milos, jcmoon and RedIsen like this.
  12. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

13. MystikArkitect

Not anymore!

14. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

The Rockets need a pure PG, a player who is capable of distributing the ball and defending, not another Combo Guard project. I have nothing against Jaden Ivey, but I don't know (really) if his game fits those characteristics. Personally, I see him as a shooting guard who attacks the rim, with good defense, great speed and an unreliable shot. I repeat, I don't question the boy's abilities, I'm just not sure he's what Houston needs.
    The same thing happens with Hardy, maybe Hardy can adapt more quickly to PG's position, but it is not his natural position either and I have serious doubts about his ability to defend.

jcmoon likes this.
  15. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

Him and Jalen would be fun on transition. But if we can't get Paolo or Jabari I wouldn't mind settling for Ivey.

jcmoon likes this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Really want him on the Rox.

DD

D-rock, jcmoon and xaos like this.
  18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Why are there so many "combo" guards these days yet no actual point guards high in the draft. Everyone is a combo something from Center to Shooting guard, yet no true point guard

19. Nook

Nook Member

There are very very few pure point guards in the NBA, and most of those are not starting because the league has changes a lot.

Ivey is a good shooter and an improving passer. Ideally he would have started transitioning a year or two earlier.

The league now requires point guards be able to score and in many cases be able to cover shooting guards defensively. So most young talented players are learning to shoot and score first. When you look around the league there are some pure point guards, and they don't start. While Chris Paul is an exception, most point guards are combo guards and its because that is largely what teams when with. Even players like Holiday were not traditional point guards in terms of court vision..... now shooting guards are expected to be able to create some and even bigs can pass.... the need for point guard specialization is gone unless you are really really special like Chris Paul.

Hell, Rubio is an all time great playmaker and passer and he can defend and has size.... but he still has had his struggles because he isn't a combo guard.

jiggyfly, D-rock, jcmoon and 2 others like this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

With Sengun and Green, most definitely agree.

I'd really like the Rockets to get mid to late lottery pick at the deadline to give them a shot at trading up in the draft to snag Ivey or another top guard/wing that falls in the 5-10 range.