1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jaden Ivey Will Be The Pick, I Guarantee It!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ghettocheeze, May 19, 2022.

1. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

You guys are so delusional, we aren't picking Ivey over Paolo because Paolo is going #1.

When GMs start watching every minute of Jabari Smith play, they'll realize that Jabari can't dribble the basketball (or finish, or drive, or dunk), he'll fall to #3. Stone will have to decide if he wants the world's best jump shooting role player or a young Westbrook-type PG in Ivey.

Jontro likes this.
  2. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

3. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

I think they definitely move KPJ after drafting Ivey.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why would the Rockets intentionally make their team worse and less talented like that though?

KPJ does literally everything better than Ivey and they are a similar age.

Is it part of a tanking strategy?

Also, who would play PG? Nix?

FLAGRANT1 and Ekiu like this.
  5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I 100% agree.....but I don't 100% guarantee it.
    Ivey might be taken #1 or #2
    Jabari might fall to #3
    Rockets might surprise me and actually draft Banchero

2) Patrick Fertitta loves him some 3 guard lineups

3) * Ivey has a solid body that can fight for position. Good leaping
    ability with quick hands, plays above the rim. At 6'4" won't get
    abused like 6'0" CP3 just did.
    *Green showed he can front players and it's hard to lob the pass over him.
    *JC ended up being a solid body, solid defender.
    *Porter improved tremendously defensively. Can guard 1-3 defensively at 6'6"
    *Mathews takes charges like nobody's business.

No team is stopping the Ivey-Green-Porter lineup as long as they provide each
    other 3-pt shooting.....and Sengun/Wood can as well.

We've used Eric Gordon (6'3") at SF
    We've used Harden at SF (6'5")
    We've used McLemore (6'3") at sF
    We've used Tate (6'4") at SF
    We've used Kenyon (6'6") at SF
    and
    I'd rather use Porter (6'6") at SF than 6'5" Mathews

Will Barton (181 lbs) Nuggets has been classified as SF for years....league is trending accordingly.

pattern is apparent

#85 ApacheWarrior, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

op knows something i dont. and i don't know anything. so ivey it is!

gitr dunnnn

ElPigto and ApacheWarrior like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Your knowledge that you know nothing is the only true knowledge. Thus you know everything.

Jontro likes this.
  8. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Personally, I love the idea of pairing Sengun with Jabari because I feel like they would mesh together perfectly.

Banchero to me is a smart enforcer that any team would love to have, sort of like a Carl Malone.

As for drafting Jaden Ivey, I don’t see it.

My guess is we end up with Banchero.

r-fan-since-81 likes this.
  9. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

bro, KPJ is a headcase. I think they tolerated him last year because we were tanking and we wanted to raise his value. I also don't see him taking a backseat to JC or JI. I think he flips out again IMO

jcmoon and ilovehtownbb like this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah yes, so because "he's a headcase", you want the team to get rid of him and replace him with someone who is worse at literally everything and have no starting PG?

Or are you suggesting playing Green out of position in order to give Ivey the SG spot?

Either way, it's a pretty hilariously terrible idea.....unless the goal is to tank for another shot at the #1 pick next season.

You don't pick a guy that you have 2 better versions of on the team currently that are close to the same in age. Even if the Rockets trade back, they should look elsewhere. Ivey has absolutely no value to the Rockets.

I'm trying to be open minded here, but walk me through the logic of wanting to go with someone who is smaller, weaker, and worse at literally everything.

#90 Bobbythegreat, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
    javal_lon likes this.
  11. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Sounds like you just agree with Mike mayock. Should we just not see who he thinks rockets are going to draft?
    Also Kareem Jackson turned out to be pretty decent

12. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I could definitely live with drafting Ivey if the front office thinks he's BPA regardless of fit. He has legit star potential, he and Paolo are wildcards IMO that could be the ROY or end up the best players in the draft.

Don't draft for fit this high up, Sam Bowie was drafted for fit. Pick the BPA you believe in and build around them or make moves afterward.

xaos and ilovehtownbb like this.
  13. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Ask Clutch, he agrees. For the record, I still think they select PB. Time will tell

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

If they do this, they'd be the most exciting, patheticly run team in NBA history...

15. StevieCrossover

Neh don't think ivy will happen. Even though he'll be fun to watch.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So in short, you've got nothing to go on.

Ivey is objectively inferior to BOTH Green and KPJ when it comes to every single aspect of basketball.

The weakest parts of his game are his jump shot and his handle.....so again, give me some reason why the Rockets would waste a pick on him?

If you are drafting at #3 for a guy who will be a backup for their entire rookie contract, that seems like a waste.

If you are planning on getting rid of superior players of a similar age just so you can slot in someone who is worse, that seems like an odd choice.

Again, I just don't see it. Are athletic, ball dominant 6'4 shooting guards with a weak handle who aren't that good at shooting really that valuable?

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ivey is different from both Green and KPJ.

Ivey is a lot closer to WB/Morant/Rose/Wall. He is the successor to that model line of players imo. He would be the playmaker over KPJ and Green which is a huge plus since neither of the two are good playmakers. He has crazy burst and quickness which Green and KPJ don't have. He also has that "alpha, face of the franchise" aura thst both lack, he can provide leadership to this team ala Cade. On the negative side, he is a defensive sieve compared to Green and esp KPJ. The shot is shaky, probably just as inconsistent as KPJ and inferior to Green. Ivey is so quick and athletic tbh its kinda worrisome, same thing with Wall and Rose you have to wonder if injuries will be a concern in the future cuz dude goes from halfcourt line to dunk in like 2 secs.

But right now, dude is a beast, his ceiling is super high, he actually has a working shot already and he fills a need on this team as lead playmaker. Even the defense will improve with time cuz he is a big guard with insane athleticism. Will I take him before Banchero? No, I think Banchero is still better cuz he is 6'10. But the difference isnt that large imo, if we take Ivey before Banchero I wouldnt flip out, and if we trade back and get another lotto then yeah, I'd prefer Ivey and a lotto pick over Banchero.

Trade down and get Sochan and Ivey over keeping Banchero? And then trade up to get Eason? Bruh. That's a no brainer if that set of deals are on the table.

bleedroxred79, jcmoon, xaos and 2 others like this.
  18. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

i totally agree with Clutch's ranking. I think the Kings will prefer Sharpe, however, than Paolo or Ivey. in this case i'll draft Paolo #3 but trade him (plus Tate or KMJr.) to Detroit for #5 + J.Grant. Draft Ivey at #5 and re-route J.Grant (plus maybe the Milwaukee pick) to Portland for the #7 pick and draft B.Mathurin. (Portland will send Bledsoe's expiring contract to Detroit for salary matching purpose).

trade KPJr.+Wood+Gordon+Nwaba to Atlanta for J.Collins+J.Johnson+Gallo(only $5mil. guaranteed)+#16pick(draft T.Eason) to balance the roster

J.Wall will be bought out or traded to Clippers in 3-way trade with Boston, bringing back expiring contracts R.Jackson & Horford. (M.Morris and Kennard to Boston for Horford)

we're set.
    Sengun / Horford / Fernando(re-sign)
    J.Collins / T.Eason / Garuba
    Mathurin / Tate(or)KMJr. / J.Johnson / Queen(2-way)
    J.Green / Jaygup / Mathews
    J. Ivey / R.Jackson / Nix

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  19. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

But guys…HE RARELY STICKS HIS NECK OUT FOR PROSPECTS.

HE EVEN PROVIDED US WITH HIS MLA ENGLISH PAPER SOURCES!!!!

palmsnbananas likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with his "guess" about how the Rockets rank them....well, the top 3 anyway. I think the Rockets probably don't have any guards that can't run the point and can't play SF in their top 5 since they'd be worthless to the Rockets.