1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jaden Ivey Will Be The Pick, I Guarantee It!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ghettocheeze, May 19, 2022.

1. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Ivey is going to be a stud. Whether or not it's eventually at the point in a Morant mold or a more explosive D Wade type. At this time I say he'll be somewhere in the middle. Either way, if healthy, he'll be a multiple All Star. He is a high character, hard worker, who has gotten better every year.

I have been on the "1 of the Big 3" train for a year now and know we desperately need one, but we may end up regretting passing on this kid.

I guess in Stone we trust?

EDIT: Wade comparison is on offense. He was a monster on D. Not saying Ivey can't get there, but no where near that now. Has the work ethic, athleticism and length to get there someday, but its a wait and see. Like Green. :)

#401 Believe It!, Jun 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    ilovehtownbb and TheBeastSystem like this.
  2. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Huh?

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

If Paolo is gone then I want Ivey.

ilovehtownbb, Bo6 and ArtV like this.
  4. maj21

maj21 Member

Green is not 6’6” lol.. you can tell by just looking him

groovemachine likes this.
  5. maj21

maj21 Member

That’s how I feel too, and I don’t want us to take another 6’4” guy. I just don’t want Chet at all man.

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Chet is going to be injured all year or have a life threatening condition he doesnt want to disclose.

7. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

LOL.

Dude I'm just listing the heights.

Not arguing anything.

8. maj21

maj21 Member

My thing is that he was unproductive against the top teams. Stats got inflated by playing trash teams with the tallest guy is like 6’6”. He also grab guys every time in the post when he contest the shot, and the nba refs will call that every time. People are blind when it comes to him. His handle is also not what people make it out to be.

9. vince

vince Member

I see the excitement and talent in Ivey’s game. And I could see a scenario where teams regret bypassing him. He’s a top tier player, and I think his game is geared for the NBA speed.

But there is opportunity cost, and that’s a reality. The Rockets need length up front, with guys who have skills. So I’d rather the Rockets take length, with guys who have similar high potential too.

I like Paolo, but I keep hearing his defense leaves a lot to be desired. But, I’ve also read reports that he has the ability to play defense, if he focuses on defense. So an elite offensive guy who doesn’t play matador style defense, would work on the Rockets. And I think that after the meeting with the rockets and trading Wood right after, might show the Rockets feel Banchero might be their guy.

I like Chet, but it’s scary to see someone over 7 feet tall and weigh only 195 lbs. That leaves reservations for me. But when you see him play, he looks legit good. Ideally, a defensive juggernaut next to Alfred Segune would be intriguing. And might tilt me in favor of him.

Jabari Smith seems like the most sure thing. I think he goes #1 in almost any situation. And I think he’d be excellent for the Rockets too. But I think Guys behind him have a plethora of talent too, and could potentially be seen as better players.

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's fine, my point was that there's a reason why Ivey is considered a "PG" despite his complete lack of PG skills and Jalen Green was ALWAYS considered a SG.

Ivey is in many ways a homeless man's Jalen Green in that their games are cosmetically similar in some ways....it's just that Ivey is worse at everything.

Why was one always correctly listed as a SG while one is being sold as a PG? The difference is size.

Jalen Green was listed at 6'6 leading up to the draft and he measured just over 6'4 without shoes and just over 6'5 with them.

Jaden Ivey is being listed at 6'4 leading up to the draft....wanna guess what his "without shoes" official height will be?

They tend to use "with shoes" heights leading up to the draft and round up.

Believe It! likes this.
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I just watched some of his games and his team is trash at spacing. He's going to kill in the NBA with all the spacing. Somehow he still got alot points in the paint D-wade style which is very impressive.

12. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

BUT...

Jaden Ivey is listed as a SG. All mock drafts list him as a 2 except nbadraft.net which lists a 1/2. Even his wiki page lists him at a 2. Obviously people talk about the possibility of him playing the point. Whether or not he can. But he's a 2 right now.

Anyway, it don't matter. I get what your saying. I have a different opinion of him. JMO.

I imagine we'll all be happy half way through the season again, after 5 months of arguing over who it should have been. We'll have finally agreed they made a good choice, then it will start all over again.

Circle of life it seems.

Can't wait for Thursday!

#413 Believe It!, Jun 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    r-fan-since-81 likes this.
  13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

@maj21 Sorry I was referring to Ivey on this post

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting, I feel like I've heard about him almost exclusively as a PG. Either way I agree with you that I can't wait for Thursday, it'll change the conversation for a bit.

Believe It! likes this.
  15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Chet is too risky to use a high pick on. I really think he might fall to us, in fact I’m expecting it. I do like him as a prospect, he’s highly skilled, but he feels way overrated. The blocks and rebounds he got in college won’t be there as easily in the NBA, and he’s not the elite shooter they make him out to be either. He’s a good shooter, especially for his size, but he’s not elite. He’s under 40 from three and 72 from the line. Those are not the numbers of an elite shooter, and he’s definitely not going to bull people over in the paint. If he falls to three, I’d probably try to trade back or take Ivey.

burlesk, groovemachine and maj21 like this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

lol 2 future 1st to move down from 4th to 6th. Sacramento definitely want Murray.

Dacamel likes this.
  18. Bo6

Bo6 Member

if paolo or jabari isnt there at #3 i'm tempted to trade down for some lottery tickets next year for the Victor sweepstakes.

The risk is i'm not sure how good the morale is if we tank another year. it's almost sixers-esque tank job 3 years in a row.

19. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

One future first should suffice but I don't blame them for trying