1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jaden Ivey Will Be The Pick, I Guarantee It!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ghettocheeze, May 19, 2022.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I wouldn’t be surprised if we drafted Ivey and it’s absolutely fair to put him in the conversation with the top 3 bigs. We are so badly in need of size and front court play that most of us are conveniently leaving Ivey out of the conversation. But if Stone truly wants to go BPA, there is a chance Ivey is higher on some boards than Paolo. So it shouldn’t be shocking if we drafted Ivey, but I really think he’s a shooting guard; not the guy you give the keys to your offense. There’s only one basketball and Green is our primary scorer. I’d rather have a point guard next to Green; even KPJ has more point guard skills than Ivey. Ivey is a 2-guard. He’s gonna be a great 2-guard, but he‘s a 2-guard.

2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Ekiu and hakeem94 like this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

They absolutely should work him out and do their due diligence and hopefully pretend like they will draft him so that a team behind them falls for the fake so we can get our preferred big.

I just don't see it happening unless you're trading KPJ on draft night (which they shouldn't do unless the deal is amazing) or something and even still...the three bigs are ALL better prospects than him IMO.

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Which we already have with Green, KPJ, and Jaygup... 4 if we bring back Schroeder

Asian Sensation likes this.
  5. mightybosstone

I wouldn't rule it out, but I just think Banchero has the higher ceiling and the higher floor. His worst case scenario is probably a better version of Julius Randle. And if the argument is that he's redundant on a team with Sengun, that same argument is even more prominent against Ivey on a team with Green, KPJ and Christopher. If they pick Ivey, it's because they genuinely believe he's the better prospect and BPA, and I just don't see how there's a strong case to be made for that. Banchero has the more NBA-ready game, is the more reliable scorer, the better passer and probably has a better chance at ending up a plus defender.

robbie380, Yung-T, JayGoogle and 2 others like this.
  6. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

So do we get to ban you if you are wrong? Don't over think it. Draft whoever is left (out of the consensus top 3) with the third pick

macho GRANDE likes this.
  7. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

not saying Ivey better than Paolo, but Stone and other GMs tells you take the BPA time over time. even if you have 15 guards on your team already, you still take a guard if he's the best player available. there's the trade market and FA market later for them to workout the "fit"

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  8. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

We have four guards better than him right NOW! Cool story Fartstradamus

9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Is redundant the right word?

I don't see Banchero and Sengun as redundant.

10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Agree. Only guy I take @3, if available, is Chet.

1. Smith = Shane Battier v2.0, solid be meh
    2. Banchero = Blake Griffen v2.0, good highlights but questionable if he'll be "better" than Alpy.
    3. Holmgren, no way he lasts to 3.
    4. Ivy, after 10 years in the league, I'm sure he'll have had the best NBA career. He's got a perfect NBA body, skill, position, talent.

Assuming Chet goes #1, I'd take Ivy at #2. Banchero and Smith will be solid rotation guys that may crack an all-star team someday. Chat and Ivy will be perennial first or second options on their respective teams for most of their careers ...assuming Chet can stay healthy.

Junebball likes this.
  11. Junebball

Junebball Member

Man! This is a great post. It's exactly how I feel about the players at the top of this draft class

krosfyah likes this.
  12. xaos

xaos Member

Lol

13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I like ivey and have him rated above banchero. It would be BPA and a great choice imo

ApacheWarrior, Junebball and xaos like this.
  14. mightybosstone

It is if you think they're too similar and can't play on the floor together. If ultimately they occupy the same space, serve the same purpose and can't play next to each other, I'd consider "redundant" to be a pretty fair description. That being said, I don't necessarily see that as the case for Sengun and Banchero as they're both so versatile offensively.

Use whatever adjective you want, though. It's really just semantics. My point still stands.

mikenm268 and JayGoogle like this.
  15. a time to chill

But Jaden isn't better than any of the projected top 3. He's not a true point guard and is just another undersized guard that seeks to get his own shot rather than create for others. How do you build a championship team around Jalen Green and Jaden Ivey? BPA sounds good but in reality, you are looking for a core piece that fits nicely with last year's picks (mainly Green and Sengun). The Rockets need 4s and 5s desperately and the top 3 are big men who could each make a solid case for being selected #1.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We would need an absolute unit of a defensive 4 to run a Ivey/Green/Porter lineup with Sengun at the 5.

That being said, BPA is BPA, if Stone believes he’s the guy I’m all for it.

17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Yeah I just don't think redundant is the right word...or the right concern...

I think what people are mainly worried about is their defensive pairing together as a 4 and 5.

They don't really do the same things offensively.

xaos likes this.
  18. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

One thing I am pretty sure, the Rockets if they have a chance to pick between Ivey or Chet, they will pick Ivey. I think thats what the org is thinking

A lot of the board is low on Paolo, but as I said before, the guy is a man's man and could go 1 or 2 easily.

I would be happy with any 3-4 top picks. But this is how I look at it, by needs

1a Jabari
    1b Banchero
    2. Ivey
    3. Chet

ilovehtownbb and xaos like this.
  19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I don't know if Clutch has any sources on this or not, but I tend to go with what he's hearing or feeling about what the organization wants since I'm pretty sure he has some kind of connections. He thinks the Rockets have Chet at the top of their list.

And really, to me, that makes sense.

cmoak1982 and Amel like this.
  20. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow! You're a bonafide Mel Kiper clone! Nobody thought JJ Watt or Deshaun Watson would be any good, you sure got the last laugh! :rolleyes: