1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jaden Ivey vs. Bennedict Mathurin

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JayZ750, Jun 27, 2022.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is an interesting one to me.

Ivey got all the fanfare most of the year. But ultimately went just one spot above Mathurin. Despite going 6, think Mathurin still under the radar a bit to me.

There seems to be a feel like Ivey has some amazing upside, or is the perfect fit next to Cade whereas Mathurin wouldn't have been as perfect.

I'm not sure why?

Mathurin is 4 months younger. He's an inch taller. He was unquestionably better as a freshman. Statistically to me, he was better as a sophomore. He's an unquestionably better shooter.,, to the point hes a legit very solid 3pt shooter.

Ivey has on him - SLIGHTLY better passer/assist man (albeit with an equal rise in turnovers), slightly better at blocks, and slightly better athleticism - yes on slightly on that last part imo, Mathurin is a heck of an athlete himself.

I am aware despite the national hubbub, Mathurin himself thinks pretty highly of his game, lol.

I will be pretty curious to see which player ends up being better, ultimately.

2. JayZ750

I’ll just reply to myself lol.
    A quick 8 points 2 boards in his first 4 min of SL action. Pure scorer type. Great athleticism. Not A passer/creator yet but that’s ok. He should be great next to Halliburton.

#2 JayZ750, Jul 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Ivey is the more dynamic player and has more upside

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Mathurin is probably more suited to play the wing than the PG. The kid looks like a competent scorer.

5. i3artow i3aller

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

much better than the jabari pick amirite

7. xaos

xaos Member

Huge fan of Ivey. Haven't watched Mathurin at all, but you've been posting great stuff lately so I'll pay more attention.

arabrocket and Jontro like this.
  8. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

Ivey has shot-making skills that you can't just learn, it's a special trait. That doesn't mean he'll be a better pro than Mathurin, but if you're trying to gamble on upside, you take the guy who has traits that can't be developed at this stage and hope he can develop better decision-making and some consistency with good coaching.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Imagine if his name was Jalen Ivey.

10. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

I’m really really high on those two specially mathurin

11. JayZ750

So far Mathurin been winning this battle, having a fantastic pre-season.
    He ticks all the boxes for a young explosive SG.
    I remain high on him, will be interesting to see him on Friday...

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Ivey doesn't seem quite ready. Definitely explosive, but not sure the coaching is all that great either. I prefer our young core to that of the Pistons.

13. MystikArkitect

No one who actually watched Mathurin is surprised by him balling out so far and being better than Ivey. Between the two, Mathurin has much more "takover" gene in him than Ivey. Saw him at the S16 in San Antonio and he was the only player on Arizona that UH truly feared.

DrNuegebauer and lionaire like this.
  14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think your post is relevant for both players mentioned in this discussion?
    Ivey didn't look like a genuine PG at college, and (so far) hasn't looked like one in the pros. Having said that - he is really quite quick and has a very nice handle, and decent vision - so it is possible that he forms up into that attacking "score first" type PG that has success in the pros.
    For me there are pretty huge question marks on Ivey - he is very small and slender for a 2-guard, so needs to develop that point game (although playing alongside Cunningham is a bonus for him to start his career - he can guard the points and play the 2). His shot is also a question mark.

Mathurin has more prototypical size (and a bigger body) at the 2 spot, with great athleticism, and a good outside shot. There seems a lot less risk to him. If I had to pick between them, I'd prefer Mathurin because I don't think Ivey pans out as a point.
    If he does, it is probably Ivey!!

Easy likes this.
  15. Rokman

Rokman Member

Houston vs Detroit is going to be fun.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I see Ivey in the mold of Allen Iverson, lightning fast small-sized scoring guard. These guys are PG by default because of their size and handles but aren't the playmaker in the traditional sense.

Scoring guards like Ivey dominate in lower levels because they are faster and more skilled than everybody else. In the NBA, the defense is much faster and stronger. They need time to adjust. Our own Green took half a season to adjust. So I wouldn't write Ivey off as "worse" than Methurin. if he struggles at the beginning.

I agree that it will benefit him playing with Cade. Cade is more of a floor general that will free Ivey up as the scorer he is. And Cade can guard the SG on defense.

17. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

U can’t succeed with a name like Benedict. This isn’t the 1800s!

Jontro likes this.
  18. Summer Song Giver

why are nba highlights so bad quality wise in the preseason? They don't use HD Cameras in preseason?

19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I agree this is 2022! Kids these days would change the "Bene" to "Big"

Jontro and RasaqBoi like this.
  20. JayZ750

I don’t even think Mathurin played that great against the Rockets tonight and he still looked solid. Guys going to be good for a while.